JaRyCu Plays Direwolf20 for 1.10.2 - A Build Journal

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
Heeey heeeey guys & gals!

Back in February I made a move in the real world to get a better job, and it turns out that I was better at that job that I thought I'd be. That's turned into a promotion this past week, and it has effectively ended my YouTube career before it got started because I have a lot less Minecraft time.

I haven't lost the bug to play, though, and I've been working on the DW20 pack for the last few days and decided I'd post irregular updates in a build journal, kinda like I did before I went to YT in the first place. I won't be jumping around to different packs or anything, just focusing on one world and seeing what I can do with it.

To get this world, I went through probably 5-6 modpacks and 50+ seeds using BOP, ATG, and Quark's RTG, before I finally found something that called my name and said "play me." In my tradition, I'll be using this first post as a quick links / table of contents to make navigation easier as the journal progresses. As always, bring on the comments and let me know what you think, along with anything snarky that'll make me laugh!

-- j

Pack: FTB Presents Direwolf20 for 1.10.2 v1.12.1
Additions: Veinminer
Seed: -4748587052819827009
Terrain Gen: Quark RTG

Report 1: Setting Up Shop

Last edited:
Reactions: MikW

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
Report 1: Setting Up Shop

I have no clue what day it is. I don't know where I am. I feel like I've been traveling for years and I'm so parched. The last two days were nothing but desert until I came upon this small mountain and village and decided that I could try starting my new life here. I just hope that the past doesn't repeat itself. I can't take jumping from world to world again with no control. All of the friends that I made when I walled off that village and investigated the plant-based machines, the time I built the huge castle in that snowy world, even the time I was able to use a portable video recorder and build a huge chicken factory in a world with no land.

The world I am in now doesn't appear to have any magical biomes and the terrain reminds me of what my home was like before I began to teleport between these strange lands.

TrEf5Jm.png

SzZQZPp.png

I decided not to settle in the village this time. A few worlds ago, when I was able to befriend all of the friendly villagers, tragedy eventually struck. It was late in the night and I was tinkering around trying to automate the feeding of the flowers that eat those strange cakes, and an entire herd of dead-skinned zombies broke through a wall and attacked, killing all of my friends. Maybe if I stay away from the village, these peasants won't be attacked and can live long and peaceful lives.

I am staying close by, though. I've cleared an area just to the east of my new home where I can grow trees for wood, and the ground here is so fertile that I can have massive trees growing the same day that they're planted. This world also appears to have little yellow flowers that break into seeds that remind me of canola, and I'm building a small power plant that converts the seeds to oil to electricity.

tf3TLiu.png

The shorter, long building houses a ton of canola plots. I found a book called "The Actually Additions Manual" that detailed how to build machines that would farm the plants for me, so I made two of them. I also found another book detailed something called XNet cables and controllers. They seem to be segregated and bundled cabling that can handle electricity, liquids, and even items, all at once, simply by setting up simple scripts in a routing block, so I'm going to be using those to control everything.

wpPwIP9.png

GdJeYi3.png

The cables automatically pulled the harvested canola out of the farming machines and push them into a storage barrel farther down the line.

Ys7zHA9.png

The barrel can hold a lot of the seeds, so I think it's good. The ActAdd book also details a procedure I can use to enlarge the barrel, so I'm happy with what I have. The seeds alone don't produce any power, so I have to press those into oil before I can process it into electricity. I've setup machines that do the pressing and also ferment the oil to make it a little more flammable.

DyMg5Ql.png

Finally, the cabling is set to pull the fermented oil back out of the fermenting barrels and insert it directly into generators, and then pull the resulting electricity back into the capacitors I have in the main house.

lm9lASS.png

zNraXSh.png

As you can see, I used my knowledge from the chicken factory world to setup ore processing machines. They somehow take the raw ores that I mine and stretch them into double what normal processing can yield. I'll be upgrading them soon, but for now they do the trick and provide what I need.

I've read in the ActAdd manual that I can produce a type of glass that causes the canola to grow more quickly, and I can also setup a process that changes the oil into a much more highly flammable version that produces more electricity, so I'll be attempting that soon.

I also need food. So far I've been living off of apples that fall from the trees as I chop them down, but that can't last forever. I need to setup farms for better food, so I'll be working on that as well.

Last edited:
M

MikW

I am playing this too currently. I'm in the mid game time, I have extremely good equipment (upgraded Dark Steel Armor, Good TiC tools and weapons, Angel Ring), A pretty good amount of resources (Basically I could build almost anything that I want). Power gen is currently not so great though, only a permanent 100 rf/t from an Improved Windmill and 3 Water Wheels. I'm going to improve those after I finish building a good base.

Definitely looking forward to your stuff!

Last edited:
Reactions: JaRyCu

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Congratulations on your employment and further advancement. Real Life has a way of altering even the best laid plans for Minecraft builds, but here's hoping you're having just as much fun doing your job as you would have otherwise. I look forward to seeing what you do this time around.

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
I am playing this too currently. I'm in the mid game time, I have extremely good equipment (upgraded Dark Steel Armor, Good TiC tools and weapons, Angel Ring), A pretty good amount of resources (Basically I could build almost anything that I want). Power gen is currently not so great though, only a permanent 100 rf/t from an Improved Windmill and 3 Water Wheels. I'm going to improve those after I finish building a good base.

Definitely looking forward to your stuff!

My bank of oil generators is putting out 600-700 RF/t on total autopilot now that I have it setup. I'm pretty happy with that, and it's fully expandable the way I set it up. I watched the Mischief of Mice spotlight on the Immersive Engineering railguns & razorwire update, and I think I'm headed that direction next. There are far too many creepers and endermen hanging around my base every morning.

Congratulations on your employment and further advancement. Real Life has a way of altering even the best laid plans for Minecraft builds, but here's hoping you're having just as much fun doing your job as you would have otherwise. I look forward to seeing what you do this time around.

Believe it or not, I'm having just as much fun doing my job as I did doing LPs on Minecraft. I was watching Jansey on Twitch the other night and talking with him a little and realized how much I miss making the videos. In a month or two, once I get everything into a stable holding pattern, I'm going to get back into it again. I may even do Twitch as well this next time. I've found that I'm not enjoying world building as much when I'm doing it just for me; when I knew I was sharing it with others, it made the process a lot more fun to me.

Thank you for the good wishes @Inaeo!

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Remember that you're still sharing your world, just not in real time. I was a lurker in this section for almost a year before I bothered to create an account, and it was people who shared their work and ideas that kept me coming back. Of course, now you're all stuck with me, so take that for what it's worth.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yay, starter power! I'm interested to see how your base shapes up. Everyone does the same tech bits over and over, so after a while the building is what catches my eye.

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
It'll be at least next weekend, maybe a couple of weekends away, before I can get into more serious things with this world @KingTriaxx. Apparently I'm really good at my job, even better than I thought in the OP of this thread. I found out Friday that I'm getting another promotion next month, as long as this one keeps going as expected. I'm starting to thing I'll never get to play MC again. :eek:

Reactions: Inaeo

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ah, overachieving. What a terrible thing to worry over. You could always say no, but not my call. Still, I've waited years for things to happen, a few months isn't going to be any big deal.

Kel_Co

Jul 29, 2019
Just a warning, if you try and use xnet to automate upgrading canola, you may run into some issues. I spent hours trying to get it working, with no success. I love the concept of the mod, but it has some issues to work out in terms of some blocks. It may have received some updates since, but I would look for other methods that are known to work first.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Just a warning, if you try and use xnet to automate upgrading canola, you may run into some issues. I spent hours trying to get it working, with no success. I love the concept of the mod, but it has some issues to work out in terms of some blocks. It may have received some updates since, but I would look for other methods that are known to work first.
That's interesting - what issues did you have? I've not tried doing the Oil->Crystallised Oil conversion with anything other than my usual ActAdd/ExU2 combo. That side works perfectly (as long as there is room for the oil to go once crystallised and there are crystallised seeds present); what I've never automated is the crafting of crystallised canola - is that one of the things you had trouble with? I've always wanted to set up a proper system, so it will, for example: drop 16 seeds, blast with the Reconstrucor, pick those up, then drop the next set; and repeat as needed. But I think I'd need smarter redstone for that than I know how to do at the moment.

Kel_Co

Jul 29, 2019
That's interesting - what issues did you have? I've not tried doing the Oil->Crystallised Oil conversion with anything other than my usual ActAdd/ExU2 combo. That side works perfectly (as long as there is room for the oil to go once crystallised and there are crystallised seeds present); what I've never automated is the crafting of crystallised canola - is that one of the things you had trouble with? I've always wanted to set up a proper system, so it will, for example: drop 16 seeds, blast with the Reconstrucor, pick those up, then drop the next set; and repeat as needed. But I think I'd need smarter redstone for that than I know how to do at the moment.

Sorry, I meant I had issues automating it with the xnet mod specifically. It had issues with inserting fluids and items into some of the AA machines.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Sorry, I meant I had issues automating it with the xnet mod specifically. It had issues with inserting fluids and items into some of the AA machines.
Ahh OK, I see! That's good to know though! I wonder if its a sidedness or just the two mods not talking properly to one another. Were you trying to insert fluid into the AA Fluid Placer, and items into the Precision Dropper?

Kel_Co

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh OK, I see! That's good to know though! I wonder if its a sidedness or just the two mods not talking properly to one another. Were you trying to insert fluid into the AA Fluid Placer, and items into the Precision Dropper?
Yep, I thought it had something to do with sides as well. I also tried to use xnet to do some stuff with bees, and ran into similar issues. It seems xnet doesn't like some mods and might need a compatibility patch or addon.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame