Is creating an API Addon possible?

nicholasiv

Jul 29, 2019
Not new to Java but never really applied it to Minecraft before, wanted to create a mod addon for HQM to use in a pack I'm working on (everything is nearly ready for release mainly waiting to see if it's accepted for FTB or not and going from there)

Maybe I've jumped the gun on this and need to take a few steps back but here's what I want it to do.

With the mod installed along with HQM and any other mod, if that mod author included a file in their mod - or if you obtain a community created file for that mod - your Quest Book would be populated with quests that include things out of nei and a tutorial-esque description of how to progress in the mod. Individually this would be unimpressive but the goal would be that every pack that wanted one would have a tutorial for that pack built in.

Problems I anticipate that could pop up would be it's just not possible (though I doubt it and hope it is), that there would be conflicts and whichever questline was added last would be the only one available, because I haven't worked with Minecraft before there's an obvious and avoidable problem I couldn't anticipate - which is why I'm here.

For the modders out there where would you say is the best place to start this project and what problems do you see with potentially creating this addon?

Many people myself included really enjoy the hard coded quests in the JamPacked mods, where they took countless hours fine tuning a challenge - and used the quest book in interesting ways (like a shop, introducing new gameplay elements, and Fable style good vs. evil factions) Looking around for anything like this I found this on the reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/2m5uns/is_there_any_interest_in_making_a_questbased/). Would also eventually like to add a bit more flexibility to the mods to make the coordinates less specific, for example if a quest wanted you to create a windmill, then go to the Y height where it worked best, or perhaps a specific biome (the dimension detection is great but still have to go to the right place)

pixlepix

Jul 29, 2019
HQM still doesn't have an API, and it's closed source. You might be able to do some hacky things with raw files, but it would be messy and difficult.