Input on Mod ideas

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Which mod would you want the most

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stroam

Jul 29, 2019
I have three ideas for mods for 1.9.4 and would be hard pressed to develop one of them and won't develop all 3 unless I win the lotto or some other financial backing miracle. So I would like the communities input on which of the 3 they would most like to see.

The first one is a series of mods that contain configurable mobs. Mobs for Oceans, Rivers and Streams, the underground, the forest, the desert, the End, the nether, etc. Basically giving you more mobs to look at and kill.

The second one is autoTravel routes. Define a route, then pick your destination and your character will auto follow the route to the destination. This would take one of two forms. A client side mod similar to autorun, or a server side mod where you click on a transport vehicle and put in a pocket dimension unique to that transport until you arrive at your destination.

The third one is Steam Punk/magi tech themed mod. Basically imagine a remake of either flaxbeard's steam power, or steamcraft with a complex alchemy system, highly customizable weapons, armor, and other gear that ties in with other mods when appropriate. Idea is for it to start off feeling like a tech mod and as you progress, feel more like a magic mod.

Last edited:

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I really like the idea tech to magic feel. I'm also a big fan of the dwarven steam punk that was used in Skyrim. Might be nice if your mod had that look to it.

Stroam

Jul 29, 2019
I really like the idea tech to magic feel. I'm also a big fan of the dwarven steam punk that was used in Skyrim. Might be nice if your mod had that look to it.
I will agree that the dwarven stempunk in Skyrim was awesome and I'd consider the general aesthetics with more glass. Brass, glass, and master workmanship. And steam really is a good way to generate energy for even an advance civilization. I mean nuclear reactors are just large fancy boilers.

Last edited:

Stroam

Jul 29, 2019
I am beginning to wonder if this is the appropriate place in the forums for asking this question. It's either here or in Mod Discussion, but on the other hand not looking for a discussion, just a good sample rate on the poll. 20 to 50 should be enough. 10 to 15 should reveal a trend.

Last edited:

Stroam

Jul 29, 2019
You are right, in mod discussion the last post on page one is may 8th. I see the thread on the bottom of the first page in this area is dated on sunday so as long as I average 1 post per 2 days it should stay on the first page and generate results.

Last edited:

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, given a bit of thought to this, and now I'll give you what I've co.e up with.

Mobs For Every Occasion sounds nice, but you would need to make it highly configurable, or I would never touch it. By that I mean being able to change spawning properties from biome dependence, spawn rates, max per a given area, and so on. Any drops from these mobs would also need a set of configs to help pack makers balance things. Being able to adjust how and damage would be gravy, but I like gravy. This could be a nice add to a pack, but it would be viewed as a novelty by a fair amount of people.

TravelRoutes already has a number of solutions available. One of them is Vanilla - minecart. If I want a travel route in modded MC, I'll build a train. If I want instant transport, a number of portals exist. I'm not saying you couldn't do better, but this is why my vote lies elsewhere.

Steampunk and Magitech is where it's at. A number of mods exist in such a role, but none of them (that I've played - limited as that scope is) have quite nailed the vibe and progression I'm looking for. From the above discussion, I feel like you may be headed toward the atmosphere I'm looking for.

Stroam

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, given a bit of thought to this, and now I'll give you what I've co.e up with.

If I did the mobs, the idea is it would just be mobs, wouldn't be making additional items unless it was for specifically (summoning/increasing spawn rate) of other mobs. The mod would be broken into sub mods. The various mods would be name like "Creatures of the Ocean", "Ambient Critters". "Creepy Crawlies", "Inhabitants of Hell", "Ghastly Ghouls", "Restless Spirits", "The Underground", "The Deep Underground", "Beings of the End", "Big Baddies", "World Bosses". Config options would include a list of all the monsters in that particular sub mod along with a template for modifying any of the monsters including disable, health, damage scaler, add items to drop(none by default). Anything beyond default spawn mechanics would be handled by something like just another mob spawner, mob spawn control, advance spawn control, or similar mods and would include configs for controlling spawning aspects. You can be assured that it would work with what ever the most popular spawn controller turns out to be.

Travel Routes... I definitely see falling to the side as easier forms are readily available in a lot of mods. I was thinking of creating boats and carriages. You click on your transport and go into a pocket dimension unique to that transport. Select your destination in the gui, and the carriage would follow a road you built, and the ship would follow buoys to your destination, at which point it would let you know you've arrived. This would allow you to store stuff in the transport and continue doing stuff while traveling. If you got out while transporting or the transport encountered a problem it would stop and you'd have to resolve what went wrong. Different transports would have different speeds and dimension sizes. Paths would be able to be extended allowing you to add many destinations to your path. Of course if you can teleport, what's the point really. Or making this a client side mod that works like autorun.

The steampunk/magitech would include things like boilers(duh), alchemy(acids, powders, compounds, crystals, elixirs, and more), Multiblock structures, weapons, gadgets and armor crafting. Ability to change the look and function of weapons, gadgets, and armor pieces with plating techniques from alchemy, different parts, and customized ammo. There would be trades offs for everything so everyone can customize to optimize for different balances. There would also be dangerous of doing things incorrectly like explosions, equipment breaking, ailments, poisons, and death. It would also follow minecraft lore, so if you throw a ender pearl you teleport. You throw it further you teleport further away. If you stick it in a rocket shell with 32 gunpowder and then launch it, well who knows how far it will go or where you'll end up, unless you've done the calculations. Of course before you do this, it requires research.

Last edited:

Stroam

Jul 29, 2019
You know, I thought the fact that there are so many tech, magic, and a few steampunk mods out there already would diminish the demand for steampunk/magitech.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The first one is a series of mods that contain configurable mobs. Mobs for Oceans, Rivers and Streams, the underground, the forest, the desert, the End, the nether, etc. Basically giving you more mobs to look at and kill.
There are already a ton of these kind mods out there, and my opinion of them always end up being: If I wanted to play a game that focused on fighting and killing mobs, it would not be Minecraft with its crappy combat systems.

The third one is Steam Punk/magi tech themed mod. Basically imagine a remake of either flaxbeard's steam power, or steamcraft with a complex alchemy system, highly customizable weapons, armor, and other gear that ties in with other mods when appropriate. Idea is for it to start off feeling like a tech mod and as you progress, feel more like a magic mod.
There are already many of these mods out there as well. And unless you plan on going big and putting in a lot of work and effort, or do something very unique, then I think it is just going to drown in the masses.

The second one is autoTravel routes. Define a route, then pick your destination and your character will auto follow the route to the destination. Several different ways to implement and features that could be added but that's the gist.
This is something that I feel is missing. Today travelling between different bases/sites is either flying(takes forever if far apart), teleporting(boring) or setting up minecart/train networks(a lot of work).

I would love to be able to set up wagon routes(add different skins for medieval/tech/scifi builds), ship routes, flight routes in some easier, yet balanced, way. Sort of like if we could set up transport routes that we all know from MMOs etc. to our bases and friends, through the progress of this mod.

Would also be cool if you could create/hire Teleporter NPCs(NPC who will teleport you to other NPCs) in an easy and user-friendly way(You can do this with Custom NPCs, but it is not exactly Survival themed and a bit complicated).

Stroam

Jul 29, 2019
There are already a ton of these kind mods out there, and my opinion of them always end up being: If I wanted to play a game that focused on fighting and killing mobs, it would not be Minecraft with its crappy combat systems.

There are already many of these mods out there as well. And unless you plan on going big and putting in a lot of work and effort, or do something very unique, then I think it is just going to drown in the masses.

This is something that I feel is missing. Today travelling between different bases/sites is either flying(takes forever if far apart), teleporting(boring) or setting up minecart/train networks(a lot of work).

I would love to be able to set up wagon routes(add different skins for medieval/tech/scifi builds), ship routes, flight routes in some easier, yet balanced, way. Sort of like if we could set up transport routes that we all know from MMOs etc. to our bases and friends, through the progress of this mod.

Would also be cool if you could create/hire Teleporter NPCs(NPC who will teleport you to other NPCs) in an easy and user-friendly way(You can do this with Custom NPCs, but it is not exactly Survival themed and a bit complicated).
The new update is the combat update which unlocks new combat features. I also understand from playing on several hardcore servers that a majority of the players like to just build in peace.

The steampunk/magitech route has been done several times, I'll agree, and faces a lot of competition from both tech and magic mods. The only way I see to compete with the big players is style and branching heavily into alchemy and tons of ways to customize your gear, that way people using the mod aren't all wearing the same looking gear with the same abilities like I've seen in those other mods. Of course I just watched a tutorial on Psi and saw that I'm not the only one with this idea. It would involve a lot of catch up on my part as I have no code currently to build off of, nor am I known. So not only would I have to build it. I'd have to advertise.

The travel thing I came up with because I often find myself taking the same half hour trips across the ocean or long distances across land to other peoples' bases and saying to myself, "Self, I wish there was a client side auto path mod that worked on every server. Sure I have autorun but that only goes in straight lines and the boat lag makes this take so much longer. I could be making self something to eat rather than moving the mouse every couple of minutes." The different skins idea is gold. As for the teleport npc's, I don't see much difference between that and already available teleport blocks. Both don't move, both can require and activation cost.

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
I'm casting a vote for a classic steampunk mod. If I was absolutely blank-sheet-of-paper conceptualizing, I'd love to see an Asian-inspired mod that would support massive steam-powered golems in samurai armor for mining, farming, guarding, transportation, etc. Like mechs or automata set in feudal Japan, or a cross between . That way we could start off with simple and slow iron structures powered by coal and steam, and progress to diamond-armored golems powered by magic. Huge robots swinging two TiC hammers for mining.

Flaxbeard's Steam Power + Thaumcraft Golemancy + ComputerCraft. Oh, and the yuzu gatling gun from Apple&Milk&Tea. }:cool:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
All three sound cool, but they've also been done. That said, the travel route mod sounds pretty cool. If you were to integrate something for the various modes of travel into the recipes, that would be useful. Say, a minecart route would be a 'quantum routing block' surrounded by tracks. That would give you two of them and when the first gets set down, it gives it's co-ordinates. Then you travel to the other end and set the other block down say a thousand blocks away from the entry, but only in a straight line.

But you need some space compression for them to be viable. Say 10:1. Ten blocks on the outside is one on the inside, otherwise no one would want to use it over the nether, but the Nether is cheaper to cross through.

SirDoctorOfTardis

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see a lot of magic and technology in one standalone mod as two separate but intertwined systems. I mean think about it, why should all mods be magic masquerading as tech, tech masquerading as magic, plain and simple magic and outright tech? Why not have a mod where magic coexists with tech and tech can run off magical energy? Why can't a centrifuge make potions? Why can't a brewery refine oil into fuel? I feel like it's an area with untapped potential, which is why I would go with the third idea.

P

PrometheusUnbound

I voted for the mobs, but for any of those I would gladly donate to a Patreon if you set one up. Any of those mods would be great to see.

Stroam

Jul 29, 2019
I voted for the mobs, but for any of those I would gladly donate to a Patreon if you set one up. Any of those mods would be great to see.
Thank you for your offer, but I'm afraid it boils down to time more so than money.

why not make steampunk and magic based mobs and travel.
I would have travel with my steampunk, but steampunk does not fit in every pack, where autotravel is useful in every pack that doesn't have teleportation.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
where autotravel is useful in every pack that doesn't have teleportation.
Even in packs that have teleportation options, as many people(myself included) will choose a more fleshed out/realistic/scenery option if that is available.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Agreed, and even with teleportation, I only use it for crossing areas where it'd be impractical to build bridges, or tunnels. Say Ender Rail teleporting across five thousand blocks of deep ocean.

Reactions: rhn