Idea for the launcher?

DawnSparkle

Jul 29, 2019
so, Ive been playing around with the idea of a "Can You Run It" button on the launcher for people to see if they can run specific modpacks , and how well. Opinions?

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
No, impossible to work out... for the default packs they may know what it needs to run but why code it? People can read... as for a custom pack there is no way to possibly know what it's requirements will be

ThomazM

Phoenix Team Founder
Jun 11, 2013
The Immortal's Cemetery
Considering Minecraft is extremely based on RAM usage, you could say something like:
  • 1.6.4 Packs, 2 GB RAM necessary.
  • 1.4.x Packs, 1 GB RAM necessary.
  • 1.2.5 Packs, 1 GB or less RAM necessary.
Obs.: A 64bit OS is strongly reccomended.
Obs.: There are exceptions to this!

And so on, there's several other factors that also count, but those are quite difficult to label exactly, if you have a somewhat decent processor and video card, you should be fine with any FTB pack, keeping in mind the chart above, and, of course, if you don't try to and shaders and/or HD Texture Packs and such.
But, don't take my word on this, this is all regarding my experience, I'm not on tech support or anything. So, don't quote me on this! :p

Also, this should be moved to the "Launcher Feedback" section, @Lawbroken, sorry to bother, but if you don't mind...

Last edited:
Reactions: buggirlexpres

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
I can already hear millions of "But it says I can run it and I only get 3 fps!" cries...

that911guy

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps a way to do it, would be in your account info put in your ram, os, and proc that way the Button you are talking of implementing wouldnt have to scan your computer. Merely check it against the settings of the server.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps a way to do it, would be in your account info put in your ram, os, and proc that way the Button you are talking of implementing wouldnt have to scan your computer. Merely check it against the settings of the server.
That still doesn't change anything else stated in the thread. What you are talking about is the easy stuff.

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
That still doesn't change anything else stated in the thread. What you are talking about is the easy stuff.
True. Here is few questions which should be answered somehow.

Who is correct person to define which CPU is required for MC? How about lite packs which require less resources? Can we decide not to support GPUs which are known to cause problem(s)? Is there database for opengl GPU features? Who will make and update database for supported HW?

Reactions: SatanicSanta