how do i regenerate a missing chunk in the server map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

myrddinstarhawk

Jul 29, 2019
i am running a minecrack server. there is a missing chunk in the server map at -32 64 360. its missing for all players so is a server error not a client side dropped chunk.

how do i regenerate the missing chunk. i tried copying region files from server backups but the missing chunk persists as far back as january 1st when the server was started. its close to spawn town and i get a flood of error messages on the server about illegal squid movement in the chunk.

jefrbunn

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe I dont know how but MCEdit wont work with FTB mod pack. it always changes the blocks around. I have been trying to fix similar problem on my server for a day now.

but then again if you dont mind most of your IC2 and RP2 machines turing into bricks and pumpkins then by all means use MCedit...

jefrbunn

Jul 29, 2019
Okay after a bit of work and some research I have solved issue. This is what you will need to do.

1. First off you will have to roll back to a save without 10,000 squid populating that broken chunk or else you will fix it but then you will still be so lagged it wont matter. and back up the world before you do this just in case things break down.
  2. Go into the world and jot down the XYZ of location within the chunk
  3. go to this website http://dinnerbone.com/minecraft/tools/coordinates/
  4. Insert the XYZ coordinates you got. This will give you 2 pieces of info: 1) the (X.Y) of chunk and the region (.mca) file it will be in. Write those down I will refer to them as being Chunk CX,CY in region R-X.Y
  5. download NBTexplorer
  6. Make sure minecraft is not running.
  7. In NBT explorer navigate to your world save and then to the region files for the overworld and to the region that you found ([YOURWORLD]>region>R -X.Y.mca> Chunk[CX, CY]). open the drop down for that chunk and select anything in it and say delete tag at top of nbt edit menu. At end you should no longer have cross to expand menu for that chunk. IMPORTANT: your CX,CY value can only be between 0 and 31 (32 x32 chunks in region) so they are numbered as such. The website above gives you the Chunks XY from origin. Therefore to get the chunk you actually need you must mke sure your number is between 0 and 31. Example: website says your chunk is X,Y = 51,21 then your actual CX,CY is [19,21] (51-32=19). You may have to subtract 32 multiple times. Make sure your CX,CY is between 0 and 31!!
  8. Be sure to save.
  9. load your world and be happy. Test it out on in single player first and then it should work for your server world as well :)

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Okay after a bit of work and some research I have solved issue. This is what you will need to do.

1. First off you will have to roll back to a save without 10,000 squid populating that broken chunk or else you will fix it but then you will still be so lagged it wont matter. and back up the world before you do this just in case things break down.
  2. Go into the world and jot down the XYZ of location within the chunk
  3. go to this website http://dinnerbone.com/minecraft/tools/coordinates/
  4. Insert the XYZ coordinates you got. This will give you 2 pieces of info: 1) the (X.Y) of chunk and the region (.mca) file it will be in. Write those down I will refer to them as being Chunk CX,CY in region R-X.Y
  5. download NBTexplorer
  6. Make sure minecraft is not running.
  7. In NBT explorer navigate to your world save and then to the region files for the overworld and to the region that you found ([YOURWORLD]>region>R -X.Y.mca> Chunk[CX, CY]). open the drop down for that chunk and select anything in it and say delete tag at top of nbt edit menu. At end you should no longer have cross to expand menu for that chunk.
  8. Be sure to save.
  9. load your world and be happy. Test it out on in single player first and then it should work for your server world as well :)
May I link this solution in my trouble shooting guide?

jefrbunn

Jul 29, 2019
of course. one edit however. I will edit in OP but the Chunk [Cx, CY] is always between 0 and 31.. 32 x32 in each region. So if the website says your chunk is x of 51 and Y of 21 then your CX,CY is [19,21] (19 = 51 - 32). This is because each region file is indexed from 0 to 31. and it basically calls the chunk based on the region then the indexed chunk whereas the website is figuring the disatance from spawning chunk.

I Think this will still work even if you have move the spawning block as the first region loaded is always the 'origin' so to speak.

Reactions: Ashzification

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
of course. one edit however. I will edit in OP but the Chunk [Cx, CY] is always between 0 and 31.. 32 x32 in each region. So if the website says your chunk is x of 51 and Y of 21 then your CX,CY is [19,21] (19 = 51 - 32). This is because each region file is indexed from 0 to 31. and it basically calls the chunk based on the region then the indexed chunk whereas the website is figuring the disatance from spawning chunk.

I Think this will still work even if you have move the spawning block as the first region loaded is always the 'origin' so to speak.
All I do is link the problem and solution ;)

Daily_Driver

Jul 29, 2019
Apologies for rezzing a semi-old thread, but I had to post about this one.

I have had two worlds go though this. The first ended up with cows spawning like crazy over a dead chunk and caused it to lag to the point where the game crashed every time i tried to load it. After starting a new world (aptly named Cowpocalypse) and playing for several hours I finally decided to move out of my cave to build a base and after building for about a hour a chunk disappeared. It was there when I started, then it went missing. Surprisingly, there was a cow walking near it, but just one, unlike the hundreds from my last world. One dead cow and Jefrbunn's solution later I am good to go again.

Not sure what caused this but thought I would chime in with it. I am also on the DW pack version 5.1.1. The only extra mods I have installed are Optifine 1.4.6_HD_U_D5 and Timber! 1.4.6. (<-- Cheating, I know...) as well as the SphaxPureBDCraft texture pack.

On side note, the first world was on a older version of DW. I would love to know what causes this though.

P.S. I had to delete all entries for the screwy chunk in NBT to get it to re gen in world.

Status
Not open for further replies.