Help On How To Avoid World Corruption

taintedcake003

Jul 29, 2019
I have been thinking about getting a FTB server, either running the Direwolf20 Pack or the Mindcrack pack. I'm not for sure that i am getting the server yet but just in case i would like to ask if someone can give me tips.

First: I want tips on is how to avoid World Corruption the best I possibly can, and preferably without banning items. (If banning certain items is helpful, please still comment saying this just in-case i decide it is worth banning the item)

Second: I am trying to make this server for about 5 or 10 people (mainly friends and possibly a few other people) and I am thinking of using a server from: http://creeperhost.net/ and I was wanting to know what people think would be the best package for me that is enough to run the server with no lag, but where I'm also not paying for more than what I need.

Jeff Fisher

Jul 29, 2019
I have my server hosted through creeper host atm and I have 4 people on the server. I'm using the Zombie package and I'm usually around %90 memory usage for the server so I will be upgrading to Spider package.

If you are thinking around 5 people you will be fine with there spider package. its $27 US a month. Creeper host are good people there customer support has always been really fast to respond to my tickets. The Only issue I have with them is there Control panel is always having issues.

darkinnit

Jul 29, 2019
You could ban all the known causes of world corruption (I think secret rooms mod items being used on Thaumcraft warded glass is one example), but that wouldn't help against any unexpected causes of world corruption. There are so many mods at play here that you never know what bizarre combination might trigger something.

The best protection is regular backups. If you do end up with world corruption, it is usually only limited to a few chunks, and by finding the broken chunks, you can restore just that one mcr file for that region to avoid rolling back the entire world. Any affected players will usually prefer a few hours lost work than the entire world being lost.

Reactions: nallar

taintedcake003

Jul 29, 2019
ok, thanks for the advice. and to jeff i was looking at the zombie package but i'll probably end up getting the spider now based on your advice. thanks guys much appreciated :)

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
You could ban all the known causes of world corruption (I think secret rooms mod items being used on Thaumcraft warded glass is one example), but that wouldn't help against any unexpected causes of world corruption. There are so many mods at play here that you never know what bizarre combination might trigger something.

The best protection is regular backups. If you do end up with world corruption, it is usually only limited to a few chunks, and by finding the broken chunks, you can restore just that one mcr file for that region to avoid rolling back the entire world. Any affected players will usually prefer a few hours lost work than the entire world being lost.

Also, you can use dev versions of MCEdit, or WorldEdit if on MCPC+ to restore only a single chunk.