[GUIDE] IC2 for dummies.

Calamityblue

Jul 29, 2019
Hello there. If you're reading this,*points at reader* YOU must be one of those dummies who need help with IC2. Luckily, I'm here to help you not blow everything up. Hopefully. Also, this guide is for complete beginners. Don't whine. You can skip ahead if you want.

THE START(Almost.)

Okay, let's start from the beginning. I'll be assuming that you already have some basic resources set up, and some form of a cobble box, at least.
MBX8h.png

My precious.
Right, get a furnace and five iron ingots together.
Arrange them like this:
r0KkH.png

Click on the output, and you have a brand spanking new iron furnace! Use it.
Now, get a rubber tree, and don't come back till you have one. They look like this:
HSqsN.png

How natural.
Now, make a treetap with five wooden planks like this.
P3Xt9.png

Grab it.
Now, just lookit that pesky clump of leaves. Smack them all off!
See those orange spots on the rubber trees?
PEF3a.png

Go ahead and right click it with your treetap. Once, mind you. Not twice. Not thrice. ONCE.
That will be enough.
If you haven't messed it up completely, you should get between one(1) and three(3) orange balls, called resin.
DRKbJ.png

Put these balls into a furnace, and plant the remaining rubber saplings.
5XpT0.png

JdqU5.png

Look at all those lovely saplings, all in a row. =D
Wait till more orange resin spots appear, and treetap those until you have around 6 resin. Cook that resin into rubber, and proceed to the next step.

STEP I: THE WIRING.*BZZZAP*
Okay, welcome back.
Requirements: Rubber, which you SHOULD have gotten from the above step. If not, shame on you. Go and do those now. Also, assorted metals and stuff.
Get some copper and rubber arranged to form some wires like this:
J60rc.png

ALTERNATIVELY:
6DE0k.png

Make uninsulated wire like that.
0OpDx.png

Create insulated wire like that.

This method is much easier for bulk.
How to make REFINED IRON(Your new best friend. The old one didn't like you anyway.):
Put iron in a furnace and smelt it.
NAKrp.png

Put the copper wires, two redstone and one refined iron in the crafting grid to make a circuit.
Pwpdz.png

Grab it.
What to do with this fancy new circuit, you may ask. Well, we are going to go on a brand new adventure, one of ELECTRICITY!
Make another iron furnace. Make three refined iron. Make an RE-battery. How to make an RE-battery, I hear you cry.
Well, have no fear, here's how.
You need four tin, two redstone and one copper wire. If you can't make those wires, I am ashamed of you. Go back and read until it sinks into that dense skull of yours.
snFHO.png

Use that new battery of yours to make a generator! It does what it sounds like, generates electricity. You need coal, by the way.
ZK45c.png

e0IJo.png

Much fancier than before.
rnfKg.png

Now that we have that generator, power to us.
Nothing to do with the power yet, eh?
Let's upgrade that dinky old iron furnace of ours.
Pickaxe it and pick it up.
d5FDb.png
Grab: One electronic circuit, two redstone.
Arrange that stuff in the grid like this:
5e6iU.png

Grab it and plonk it down in the place of its younger cousin.
It needs power, you say? Well, how would you connect it? Let's try.....A COPPER CABLE?
pyYh1.png
There you go, your first power supply. Module 2 concluded.

I may be sarcastic, but I'm sure as heck not perfect. Send me a PM if you have any suggestions.
These modules take half an hour to type up each, please don't rush me. =P

Well, they only allow 20 images per post, so I'll be making a few post clusters for the guide. Links here:
MODULE III: HERE!

Credit:
  • Alblaka, for this crazy mod.
  • FTB staff, for the modpack and this forum.
  • The Yogscast, for getting me into Tekkit, which got me into FTB. xD
  • Slowpoke, for creating the modpack in the first place.

Reactions: ChaseNetwork

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Nice work! A note for your rubber tree section: Might want to include the bit where you need to knock the leaves off because rubber nodules are hidden underneath.

Reactions: Calamityblue

Calamityblue

Jul 29, 2019
Shouldn't their first IC machine other than the generator be a macerator so that they could start doubling their ore?
The thing is, the electric furnace doesn't need any machine block, so it's the easiest.

Nice work! A note for your rubber tree section: Might want to include the bit where you need to knock the leaves off because rubber nodules are hidden underneath.
Good idea!

Calamityblue

Jul 29, 2019
MODULE III: MACHINERY!

Welcome back! This is the second time I've had to write this module. >.< *glares at missing save function of FTB forums*
In this module, I'll teach you how to make your first few machines.

First up, a macerator! Ever felt like those stingy old ores weren't giving you enough metal for how big they were? Not to fear, you can double your yield with the fantastic macerator.
Grab: eight refined iron, one circuit, two cobblestone, three flint.
Arrange the refined iron in a crafting grid like this:
hKAEx.png

Grab that machine block, and the others.
Make a macerator like this: (I'm assuming that you're not using Gregtech expensive recipes, because those things are crazy.)
qr9od.png

Grab it and place it next to the copper cabling from your generator.
bdJtN.png

Prettified with torches. xD
Now, what do you do with the macerator? Put ores in it, of course!
WwVkw.png

Grab those ores of yours and dump them in.
You can then wait until the macerator finally finishes an operation, before taking out the dust and smelting it in that electric furnace you made.

Moving on.
Grab: One machine block, four treetaps, one circuit.
You might be wondering, if the macerator can give me more ores, what about that rubber which I have to smelt one by one? Surely there must be a way to get more.
YES, there is! Finally, you got something right. Meet...the EXTRACTOR!
OyqFR.png

EWI99.png

Family portrait, including Cousin Irene.
Once you have this new machine in your arsenal, you can get THREE rubber from one resin. That's not all, you can extract rubber from saplings and wood as well. No more waste. One rubber from each. Well, now you have the Holy Trinity. At least, that's what they call it in the South. South Industria, silly. The habitat of the wild Alblaka, and where they use mining lasers to down the massive extractodiles.

SAYONARA, dummies.
MODULE III CONCLUDED.
P.S. Remember to fill up your generator with coal.

Reactions: ChaseNetwork

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Late comer to modded MC so this is very useful to me. Awesome guide right there...THANK YOU :)

actually not that much of a good guide anymore as this is based on an old version of IC2, unless you're actually playing that old version
there's now IC2 experimental, where alot, and I mean pretty much everything has changed

Reactions: buggirlexpres