Greetings everyone...

B

belirahc

Hello folks. My name is Erich, and I am somewhat of a long time player of vanilla Minecraft here, mostly because for the longest time it was on the XBox360 with my son. He's been playing Minecraft since he was about 6 on the iPad and on the XBox. A year or two ago, I broke down and picked up Minecraft on the computer because he had seen so many modded games he wanted to try some of the modded stuff. We picked it up around the time of the 1.8 update and we struggled to get many of the mods that we have working. We liked them, and it added a lot of fun to the game.

Only problem was that many of the mods he wanted to try were using 1.7.x rather than 1.8. Of course, they had not been updated and probably would not, so we settled with what we could get working. Of course, now we have 1.9, and while more mods have been created for 1.8, I find myself having issues getting many of them to work. I have now taken an interest in many of the older 1.7.x modpacks as well as some updated stuff for 1.8.9(?), but have run into issues of separating mods for different versions of the game which I hope some around here can help me figure out. While I do not have issues with standard computer stuff, figuring out some of the stuff with the Minecraft program and how other programs interact with it have left me a bit stumped.

So, be prepared to see me ask a bunch of questions. I'll go ahead and apologize not for them here. ^_^

Until next time
Bel

joshwoo70

Jul 29, 2019
can understand many mods are still 1.7.10 so it is quite difficult to have a small modpack for 1.8..
try 1.7.10 then :)

Sent from a phone running tapatalk OS

B

belirahc

Well, I was trying to figure out ...

1) ....how to configure minecraft to launch different instances based on versions, so I could load modpacks for the different versions without conflict (finally figured out how to make multiple profiles in their own folders and how to manage the various save files/mods I had already had in order to load them properly)

2) ....how to use the modpacks found on curse/FTB in order to try and enjoy some of the settings and such that I and my son have seen on youtube (yeah... felt like an idiot with this one, realizing I should not have attempted to do it by myself and should have used the curse launcher)

Honestly, even though I came on to get some help with those things, I kind of finally got some free time to delve in and was able to figure them out. However, I'm probably going to need help with other issues in the future. Thanks for the greetings y'all. ^_^

Bel

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Well, I was trying to figure out ...

1) ....how to configure minecraft to launch different instances based on versions, so I could load modpacks for the different versions without conflict (finally figured out how to make multiple profiles in their own folders and how to manage the various save files/mods I had already had in order to load them properly)

2) ....how to use the modpacks found on curse/FTB in order to try and enjoy some of the settings and such that I and my son have seen on youtube (yeah... felt like an idiot with this one, realizing I should not have attempted to do it by myself and should have used the curse launcher)

Honestly, even though I came on to get some help with those things, I kind of finally got some free time to delve in and was able to figure them out. However, I'm probably going to need help with other issues in the future. Thanks for the greetings y'all. ^_^

Bel
The first one is fairly simple. Just find some tutorials on how to use MultiMC. It allows you to make potentially hundreds of separate isntances of minecraft, of different version, mods, and configs settings as much as you like. It can even import packs from FTB (I think it can also import from Curse, not so sure on that one)

The second one I'm not so sure. Do you mean actually launching the packs, or configuring them to work differently?