Request Getting Started With Modding!

Montybone1234

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all! My name is Cameron...

For some time I've wanted to get into Minecraft modding. I have no previous coding/programming experience, but am eager to learn. I'd like to know where/how you learned to code in Java. Also I'd like to know if learning Java is easier if you have had some training in another language. Thanks for your Help!

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all! My name is Cameron...

For some time I've wanted to get into Minecraft modding. I have no previous coding/programming experience, but am eager to learn. I'd like to know where/how you learned to code in Java. Also I'd like to know if learning Java is easier if you have had some training in another language. Thanks for your Help!
Java is way easier if you've had experience in a previous object-oriented language. Personally, I learned from a pdf I found on the internet; Java for Dummies by Barry Burd (I think). For modding itself, I suggest looking at Pahimar's Let's Mod Reboot Series; it's great. The best of luck to you! :D

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I think the best way to learn how to mod is to jump in and just do it. Look at other code (vanilla or open source mods) to see how certain tasks are accomplished and implement them into your mod. Obviously nothing will fit in it like a puzzle piece, you have to learn how to make everything work. Eventually you will get the hang of mod development. Honestly, mod development is nothing like development of other Java applications or games, it is much easier.

I find that mod development tutorials are a good resource occasionally, but usually they don't provide me with anything practical or useful. And along with that I end up straight up copying their code and not actually learning anything. That may just be me though.

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
I think the best way to learn how to mod is to jump in and just do it. Look at other code (vanilla or open source mods) to see how certain tasks are accomplished and implement them into your mod. Obviously nothing will fit in it like a puzzle piece, you have to learn how to make everything work. Eventually you will get the hang of mod development. Honestly, mod development is nothing like development of other Java applications or games, it is much easier.

I find that mod development tutorials are a good resource occasionally, but usually they don't provide me with anything practical or useful. And along with that I end up straight up copying their code and not actually learning anything. That may just be me though.
Modding tutorials are most useful when they're text and provide information on what the code does. The usefulness of the tutorials matters on the person who reads them, and as cliche as it sounds, they have to want to learn in order to learn from them.

If nothing fits in like a puzzle piece, you're doing something wrong.

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
If you are looking to make SSP only mods, Mr Crayfish has some decent basic modding tutorials. However, his 1.7.10 tutorial is really only the basics, he doesn't show how to do tile entities or anything like it. But it should give you an idea of how to do things

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
Wuppy29 has been good for me, he also has some basic java tutorials which would probably be useful.
But I actually find that talking to someone about the code helps me understand it the best.

Reactions: dragon_fang101

FlowingSpace

Jul 29, 2019
I learned java about 2 years ago, and by experience i suggest you start with the basics, TheNewBoston has helped me so much when i was starting, make a couple programs for fun in pure java(without Forge), as you make more programs set higher goals to achieve, If you find yourself stuck StackOverflow is a good site to get help from more experienced programmers. As for the Forge api http://bedrockminer.jimdo.com/ has some great tutorials for beginners, when you're done with that search for source code from popular open-source mods to learn from, like Buildcraft, and EE3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Type1Ninja

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I learned java about 2 years ago, and by experience i suggest you start with the basics, TheNewBoston has helped me so much when i was starting, make a couple programs for fun in pure java(without Forge), as you make more programs set higher goals to achieve, If you find yourself stuck StackOverflow is a good site to get help from more experienced programmers. As for the Forge api http://bedrockminer.jimdo.com/ has some great tutorials for beginners, when you're done with that search for source code from popular open-source mods to learn from, like Buildcraft, and EE3.
I find that Bedrock Miner just has example code, and that The Grey Ghost is a much better resource for learning Forge and how it works.

Reactions: Type1Ninja