Generating a specific kind of map?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

nerdnosyd

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all; wasn't sure which was the correct board for this kind of question so try here.

I have an idea for a FTB server I'd like to run and I need to figure out the best way to generate a large, large biomes, island map that contains a variety of the extra biomes (save marshes 'cause those are bad :D, yay for config option to disable them). I have a few questions related to this so here they go:

Does extra biomes modify the terrain that's tied to a seed in anyway or does it just paint biomes ontop of it? For example, the seed -577042398 seems to be pretty popular over on reddit right now but of course it's vanilla so when I load it up into FTB, what I see isn't anywhere near what is seen in the screenshots because I spawn in a red rock mountain biome-thing.

If it doesn't mess up the seeds then I'm perfectly content with loading up random seeds in AMIDST until I find one that works. If it does then I'm going to need suggestions on how to create my perfect map.

Second, related-ish question; once I do find my perfect map, can I move the spawn point in, say, MCEdit or will it freak out because of all the mods and if I can't, how can I go about moving the spawn point?

Finally, since I doubt bukkit would play nicely, how can I create an auto refilling 'starter' chest that'll remember who uses it and prevents them from using it again?

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
The biomes are tied to the seed.

MCEdit currently deletes mod added blocks, from what I heard, so that's not a good solution.

I know of no way to remember who opens a particular container or uses a certain contraption, so I don't think you can limit anything in that way other than a spawn covered in bedrock that dispenses it at them then immediately teleports them to a more proper spawn point and sets their spawn point there. You'd need to use one or more Command Blocks for that.

nerdnosyd

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, I completely forgot that command blocks were a thing and although it's a backwards way of doing things, I think I can make it work.

Now I just gotta figure out how to make my map! (Easy stuff, I know)