FTB Revelations High CPU load by mobs

MajorPain931

May 14, 2020
Hey everyone,
at first some mandatory informations:
  • What OS are you running? - Debian 8, Oracle Java 8 v251
  • Are you using minecraft hosting provider or a dedicated/local server not designed for minecraft? - A vServer just used for ts3 and the ftb server
  • What version of FTB are you using? (Dont just say latest tell us the version) - FTB Revelations 3.2
  • Did you add any mods to the server pack? - Nope, tried to remove astral sorcery and twilight forest, but didn't change the situation
  • What are your server specs? - 4gb RAM (8gb dynamically), 2 vCores E5520
  • A good detailed paragraph about the problem:
So basically I'm just playing alone on the server and only plan to have 2 or 3 more guys on it, therefore I gave it a try with my fairly not powerful vServer.
I dedicated 3gb of RAM to the server via settings.sh, which is never reached. (When I'm logged in with 1 player it's about 2gb).
All other settings (command line and so on) are still default.
There's not much going on on the server yet, I just played about 10 hours, have 4 chunks chunkloaded (machines must keep running) and that's it.
Anyhow the performance of the server is pretty bad since the beginning on due to the high cpu load.
With no one logged in the cpu load is about 5%, but once I log in it's already at 50% spiking to more than 100% when walking around (in already known chunks).
I wanted to check what the problem is between not logged in and logged, so I started a minecraft debug run while 5% and while 100% load.
Please check attachments.
With 5% everything worked fine.
With 50-200% I see lots of warnings with "Something's taking too long" while doing the debug log and the performance drops to 2 ticks per second.

I also gave LagGoggles a try and see yourself in the attachments: According this statistic it's actually only normal mobs causing problems on my server, not even mod related things.

The situation is a little better with view-distance set to 7 for example, because far less mobs are present, but I expect the problem will return when 2 more players will join and I also plan to have a little mob farm which would probably drive the server insane.

Why the hell do the mobs cause such a problem? I had a normal vanilla server (but 1.15) running on this vServer with 5 people and normal view-distance and I don't remember the CPU load being in any problematic area at all.
I know it's not the best CPU, but it should work for just... 1 player?
Anyone has an idea what I still can do? :(
If I can provide more information, feel free to ask.

Update: There's also a major difference between night and day due to bad, angry mobs spawning at night Ò.ó At day less problems

Attachments

• NoOneLoggedIn.txt
    8.9 KB · Views: 81
  • OneLoggedIn.txt
    11.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 2020-05-14 19_36_43-Minecraft 1.12.2.png
    2020-05-14 19_36_43-Minecraft 1.12.2.png
    890 KB · Views: 61