Feel like sharing any 'tricks' you use while playing?

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
I was just watching direwolf eat a potato manually and thought... why doesnt this guy use tin cans with the quantum suit?

ONe 'trick' that i use is using an Ender pouch/chest, AE network, and tin cans with the Q Suit. Keep 64 cans in the network. Set up AE with the canning machine so it auto fills all cans, and use a storage bus on the Ender chest to keep tin cans in the chest. Now you have food always available in your ender pouch, and when your suit eats all of the cans in your inventory and you toss the empties into the pouch, they auto-refill without going back to base. I think a ME interface could be used to keep a set amount of inventory of filled cans....? The ME interface is the piece of AE that i understand the least, beyond crafting patterns. This isnt too complex but I thought if direwolf is still eating food manually, maybe this tip would be helpful to people.

I also just found out that MFEs and MFSUs can be set to give off a redstone signal depending on if they are full, empty, partially full, etc. so you can have a backup generator system setup this way to turn on automatically if your MFSUs get below a certain point.

I have MFSUs set up in series, NOT parallel, so as the first one pulls power, the others feed it to keep it full. This makes the last MFSU in the line empty out first. I have 10 generators set up running on charcoal. You cant just keep feeding the generators charcoal if you have something just taking small bits of energy (like an ME network) because if the MFSUs drop just a few EU, all of your generators will trigger and you waste charcoal. It sounds trivial but i had one ME network just pulling 15 EU or so and it made 10 generators run almost continuously, so I was wasting ~ 85 Eu/t.

With the redstone signal from the last MFSU, you can create a generator line that just triggers if the MFSU at the end gets empty. So you could even have a bank of MFSUs being fed by other means, and just have the generators trigger if you pull enough power to empty out one of the MFSUs. An automatic backup generator system. Maybe its obvious to some players, but MFEs and MFSUs having the ability to emit redstone signals is not something i see mentioned often, but its VERY useful.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone else had small tips or tricks they would like to share?

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
use IC2 crops at the start for your plants, they give a better yield, you don't need to replant them, and you can plant certain plants that you normally can't plant in that way (reeds, cocoa, pumpkins, melons, netherwart)
and since Dartcraft has been added, I suggest looking up the force wrench. you can force-wrench chests, which you can place down later with it's inventory all intact (handy if you're adventuring the landscape, and your inventory is full, just plop down a chest, fill it up, and force-wrench it and you'll have a clean inventory again) also note, a force-wrenched chest can be placed into another force-wrenched chest, so if for example you're exploring a Lich's castle, and your inventory is full, just put all your stuff into one of the treasure chests, force-wrench it and move on, and when your inventory is full again, repeat from the first step again. you can also force-wrench spawners and pick them up, very handy as you don't need to constantly use the portalgun for that anymore. and what I really like, you can force-wrench IC2 blocks which will retain their inventory, it even works for batboxes, MFE's and MFSU's, they'll keep their charge.

another tip for playing on hard or hardcore, and you don't have enough for an iron door, just use a normal wooden gate, dumb zombies have no idea how that works.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
I never figured out what IC2 crops were for, i thought they were for cross breeding? IC2 is a pretty robust mod, many aspects of it get ignored though.

The gate vs door thing is genius. :)

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I've used the enderbar/chest thing in diffrent ways myself. I usely use two an "important tools" one that depending on where I am in my build is ether just a enderchest with usefull stuff or hooked into one of the many storing/autoamtion system to keep it stocked with diffrent items. And a "Dump" endchest that at basicly levels is just an endchest on a hopper on larger chests system and at more advanced levels is a enderchest hooked to AE and a bus in stack mode. This way I can just dump everything effectivly have larger to umlimited pack space while on the go.

Liquid Redstone is breathable makes it vary useful as a water elevator as you can never drown so you dont need to leave air pockets.

I use MCs spawn and mob AI to my advantage. Your 24 blocks of safty can be useful while caving and while mobs are smarter they still have fairly prodectable AI. Skeletons can be baited to close range just be getting behind something even if that something is two blocks you just put down yourself. Creepers you can do a runing hit (or any weapn with knockback) to make easy to kill. Zombies you can piller up and just wack them on their head. Endermen you can get under a 2block high shelter and stab in the feet. All but enderman you can sit at 32 blocks away can shoot with arrows and they will just take it.

Laders, signs, and micro blocks can be used to make air pockets while working under water.

Also buckets. You can take an empty bucket and collect the water block over your head this will refill your air and now just empty the bucket on any surface. Unlimited underwater bearthing at the cost of 3 iron.

mobs always want to swim up. Early base defense can be signs and some water. Make a 1 wide 2 deep hole 1 block down and a few blocks up (2 for you and at least 4 for mob death). now put two stairs facing each other in the 1x2 hole. Put 2 signs in front and back of this. Now fill the whole thing with water. You can walk thourgh this fine. But mobs will hit the stairs in the water and just float up and drown. I find without the stiars in the floor they sometimes can get through.

two stairs one normal and ontop of that one upside down. This should look like a bracket ] this can make the most basic early game wall around and completely spider proof.
this is what I can think of off the top of my head

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I live in a desert, so one trick I have is using something easily breakable, like cactus, as a door. Another trick would be to not be afraid of tossing things on the ground temporarily. I've often tossed my bow on the ground, chested items/built small structures, and grabbed my bow once there was space.