EU Production with Fuel

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

earthmage7

Jul 29, 2019
I have a few oily bees producing oily combs. I am going to produce an auto centrifuging and squeezing area soon. The oil will then get refined and put into a large iron tank. I am using the mindcrack pack on hard on a server. I want to use the fuel to help power a matter fabricator and my base. Is it better to pump the fuel into diesel generators are into a steam boiler and then steam turbine? Which one will produce more EU? I want the most EU in total not the most EU per tick.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
My guess is that if you use the fuel in the boiler, and convert to MJ which powers magma crucibles, then take the lava and burn in a gregtech thermal generator, you will end up with the most eu.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
If the Magma Crucibles are filled with Netherrack, I'll agree with netmc. Otherwise, I'll hazard a guess at the Boiler. Though you'll want enough Steam Turbines to lick up that steam.

Or you could always inhale it. Steam's delicious.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
MJ->EU conversion via smelting cobble in Magma Crucibles and the pumping the lava to a GT Thermal Generator, will produce 1.5 EU/MJ.
Using Steam Turbines the result is 100 EU/64 MJ (because 320 steam produce 64 MJ) which is 1.5625 EU/MJ, only appicable with Boilers.
The Diesel Generator produces 384k EU. If we compare that to the number of fuelunits (RailCraft) in fuel (96k), we get a ratio of 4 EU/fuelunit.
Now with using Combustion Engines you receive 6.25 MJ/fuelunit, which is 9.375 EU/fuelunit via the Magma Crucible conversion route.
Burning the fuel in a fully heated 36HP boiler, will result in 225 EU (using 2.25 Steam Turbines) or 14,2045454545 EU/fuelunit.
I don't know the cost for smelting netherrack in a Magma Crucible from the top of my head, but it will result in more EU/fuelunit than using steam turbines.

earthmage7

Jul 29, 2019
I would prefer to just use diesel generators because I don't want to setup a big system just for eu. I am getting fuel renewable so I don't mind wasting a little.

earthmage7

Jul 29, 2019
The wiki says that the petroleum generator produces 300,000 EU off of one bucket of fuel at 25 EU/t

The wiki says that the diesel generator produces 384,000 EU off of one bucket of fuel at 12 EU/t

So the diesel generator would produce more EU but the petroleum generator would produce it faster

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I have a few oily bees producing oily combs. I am going to produce an auto centrifuging and squeezing area soon. The oil will then get refined and put into a large iron tank. I am using the mindcrack pack on hard on a server. I want to use the fuel to help power a matter fabricator and my base. Is it better to pump the fuel into diesel generators are into a steam boiler and then steam turbine? Which one will produce more EU? I want the most EU in total not the most EU per tick.
I would prefer to just use diesel generators because I don't want to setup a big system just for eu. I am getting fuel renewable so I don't mind wasting a little.
At first you want to know the efficiency of diesel gen vs steam turbine and want the most EU total. Now you just want the easiest version and don't care about EU, settling for less than a third of the efficiency of the steam boiler+turbine route. Can you make up your mind?

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
MilConDoin - Cobblestone takes 24,000 MJ to make one bucket of lava and 12,000 MJ for netherrack. Each bucket of lava gives you 30,000 EU, so that's 1.25 EU/MJ for cobble and 2.5 EU/MJ for netherrack. It also means you need 8 magmatic engines at 4MJ/tick to get the 30 MJ/t needed to run the magma crucible at full speed. I currently do this in my world. Any less than 8 and the Magma Crucible ramps down in speed and any more and you eat lava in the magmatics quicker than you can make it in the crucible. Cobblestone doesn't work at all, mind you, because it takes 24,000 MJ to make one bucket of lava and the magmatics only produce 18,000 MJ per bucket for a loss of 6,000 MJ per bucket.

Combustion Engines are 6 MJ/t and one bucket of fuel is 100,000 ticks, so it sounds like these would work better if going the magma crucible route. With that said, I think MilConDoin is right, and the Steam Turbines will give the most EU[DOUBLEPOST=1365026757][/DOUBLEPOST]*EDIT*

http://ftbwiki.org/Fuel

Looks like they already answer the question here:

A Fuel Bucket and 3 empty Fuel Cans can be placed in the Industrial Centrifuge to create 3 filled Fuel Cans. This takes 25 seconds and requires 2,500 EU. Each filled Fuel Can will generate 100,000 EU in a Generator, or 384,000 EU in a Diesel Generator. This is therefore an easy way to convert Oil/Fuel into EU.
The most efficient way to convert Fuel into EU is by burning it in a Steam Boiler. Doing so will generate a whopping 1,363,636 EU per Fuel Bucket, provided the boiler is at 100% heat capacity.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
What about using a boiler and Power Converters to convert the steam into EU? I'm fairly sure that this is more efficient than turbines, or even steam engines to magma crucibles running on cobblestone to Thermal Generators.

Reactions: Jaybob32

Jaybob32

Jul 29, 2019
What about using a boiler and Power Converters to convert the steam into EU? I'm fairly sure that this is more efficient than turbines, or even steam engines to magma crucibles running on cobblestone to Thermal Generators.

This works great. We have a building of boilers and power converters currently running a matter fab. I'm not sure of the output, I'm not at home to check. I believe we were able to get two sets of steam consumers and converters to get ~700 eu/tick from each boiler. Ultimate pack.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
The wiki says that the petroleum generator produces 300,000 EU off of one bucket of fuel at 25 EU/t

The wiki says that the diesel generator produces 384,000 EU off of one bucket of fuel at 12 EU/t

So the diesel generator would produce more EU but the petroleum generator would produce it faster

A fully heated maximum size boiler with steam turbines will produce 1,363,636 EU per bucket of fuel in 303 seconds (225 EU/t).