Doctor Who

bad wolf

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

By watching livestreams and letsplays by people related to FTB I noticed, that many people related to FTB watch (and like) Doctor Who.

Me personal, I really like Doctor Who. I watched the new series (since 2005) several times and recently started to watch all the old episodes everyday, while I sit in the train to my University :D

So I´m curious about how many of you also watch Doctor Who and when you started to watch it?

I personal started pretty late, because here in Germany the new series only got broadcasted since 2008, but since I found out about this awsome Show, I watched every episode (in original language)!

Furthermore, what is your favorite Doctor?

My favorite Doctor is Christopher Eccleston (closely followed by David tennant) but this maybe change when I get further into the old seasons.

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
got all seasons on DVD in my collection my friend :) !

I dont realy have a Favorite episode or doctor
Every time he changes is yet another fun run so at the end i like em all i think

Reactions: stads

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Been a fan from way back in the Tom Baker days yeah I am that old but I was a kid back then :), as to fav ep hmm maybe the the one that Rory waited 2k years for Amy thats 1-2 eps had a lot packed into them & had a good hook to it as well, but really I fav ep of anything related in the End of days Torchwood ( its like DrWho for adults ).

Reactions: bad wolf

bad wolf

Jul 29, 2019
yeah i really like torchwood, too (especially jacks personality :D )
but my favorite episodes are blink, the girl in the fireplace and the silence in the library/forest of the damned
-edit- i really liked the part of susan beeing wrong in school in the unerthly child (first episodes)
(torchwood= darker //adults and then there is (was) sarah jane adventeures for kids... she was a great actress/character)

Swaffer

Jul 29, 2019
Being British it's always been a part of my life. Watched old ones as a kid, probably my favourite from then was John Pertwee (also as classic Wurzel Gummidge, lol) but i also like Patrick Troughton's doctor.

Christopher Eccleston was a brilliant actor to spark new life into it, he was almost TOO good an actor for the doctor though, and i think it was a great move to David Tennant who is my favourite 'new' Doctor. I've not seen a lot of Mat Smith's series' though as i'm mostly playing Minecraft... 'mostly'

D

Deleted member 188

I started watching Doctor Who back in the day when I was very young on the local PBS station in the US. Was a lot of crazy rubber monsters and silliness, but it was a lot of fun to watch. I've seen most of the new series too, and find them enjoyable. Really liked Matt Smith's first series as it was so well shot.

Right now I'm working through a lot of the Tom Baker era episodes. Up to The Masque Of Mandragora. Fun stuff!

Swaffer

Jul 29, 2019
Forgot to mention one of my favourites - not the Doctor but the Master! as played by Roger Delgado during the Pertwee / Baker eras

darkrage000

Jul 29, 2019
1974 i believe.
first episode i saw was PLANET OF THE SPIDERS with Jon Pertwee (last episode for him as a seasonal Doctor)
then came Tom Baker with Robot
and I have been hooked ever since

The new 2005 series doesn't hold well with me since they keep kicking past history and culture/mythology into the dust to make their new shows
(that and they have gone through 5 doctors in a couple years where it took BBC nearly 30 years to do the same)
Pre 2005 Dr Who went through an average of 120 episodes before regenerating. 2005 and on have an average of 40-50 before regenerating in some weird flash of lights and regrowing hands and such...

And the Master?
He was the embodiment of Evil... he was the very definition of Sinister.
He didn't run around jumping 20 feet in the air, run at 100 MPH and throw bolts of energy from his hands....
He was a backroom man. He would setup very devious plots and intrigue in his attempts to kill the Doctor and would mostly sit back behind others and wait for his plans to come to fruition.

And my favorite, of course, is Tom Baker

D

Deleted member 188

Actually the normal is to go through Doctors at a reasonably quick pace. Maybe not a single season but two to three years was very typical with the exception of Tom Baker who had the role for the longest of any Doctor.

welshtony

Jul 29, 2019
Myself I love Doctor Who.

It was in the 90's I started watching but I have also watched most (if not all) of the original series (i.e. back in the 70's)

Only thing I wish with the new series is that they do 2 or 3 more episodes. O well christmas soon so we can have the Christmas episode :D

D

Deleted member 188

That would be a very impressive feat to have accomplished as there are over 100 episodes or so of Doctor who that are missing at the moment. You can read more about that at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_missing_episodes

Really sucks what the BBC was doing with its footage back in the day. Apparently Monty Python's Flying Circus was almost taped over in a similar manner to a lot of other programs.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Who would guess bunch of MC tec mod geeks love syfy que the xycraft hook :), but RB was the first sonic screwdriver.

icedale

Jul 29, 2019
I have never watched the old series of Dr Who shows, maybe I should, but I doubt that my heart won't stay with Tennant.

Relating to Torchwood, the 3rd season was simply put the best of the very best TV I have ever seen. Maybe that had an impact in me being somewhat disappointed with the 4th season, or possibly it was the fact it was too americanized :/

DaveSW

Jul 29, 2019
I started with the new Who, and then started watching all the classic Who that is on Netflix. My favorite Doctors are 4, 9, and 11. My favorite companion is either Jack or Rory.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
I've seen almost none of Classic Who (although I plan to eventually). I only recently got into the series so I basically marathoned all the way from the first 2005 episode to the half-way point of Matt Smith's second series.

For favorite Doctor, I'd have to go with the popular answer of David Tennant, with Chris Eccleston in a very close second (I re-watched the first series with some friends and was surprised by how much better he was than I remembered). I'd like Matt Smith a lot too, except for the fact that when he came along, Doctor Who became a completely new show that's almost impossible to connect with the previous series. Everything from the TARDIS to the show's logo to even the continuity itself was chucked out and reinvented. So it almost feels like he can't even be compared to previous Doctors because he's on a completely different show...

Captainscar

Jul 29, 2019
As I'm Australian, and obviously strange, Doctor Who is a massive part of my life, I have friends (Including myself) that would kill if someone insulted the Doctor. That and I love the absentmindedness of Matt Smith and Tennant.