Did we reach the point playing modded Minecraft requires multiple computers?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

EricBuist

Hi,
I am having more and more problems with the modpack I'm playing on. The game crashes more and more regularly, without producing any logs so cannot file useful bug reports. Either the game exits without any reason, either it hangs. Loading the pack takes more than 10 minutes, then just loading the world takes almost one minute. This is more and more frustrating and I cannot continue like this.
The pack is Modern Skyblock 3. I'm in the end game, trying to craft the singularities for the Avaritia items, so near the end at least. My machine has 16Gb of RAM and I gave something like 8Gb to the game. I cannot put more than 12Gb, otherwise there's not enough room for Windows 10 and OBS (when recording videos).

The only "solution" I can think of is to have two computers, each running the game. If the game crashes, I would need to restart it and switch to the second computer already running the game, continue playing, and hope it won't crash right away before the other computer finished restarting. This is really cumbersome, as I don't have room to put two computers side by side, and transfering the saved world back and forth between the two computers will be an hassle as well.
Are we there yet? Are there modpacks that don't crash too often and/or take less time to load, something like 3 minutes or less should be acceptable, unless that starts crashing again, again and again.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
1.12 takes an incredibly long time to load relative to 1.7 and the newer versions after not only the Forge rewrite but also Mojang getting off their ass and recoding a giant chunk of the game.
As things progress into newer versions your issue should go away.

On the topic lag in 1.12 itself, for Modern Skyblock 3, the solution is to pack up mods after you're done with them, which unfortunately that's how the pack is designed. Oh, you're done with Botania, well then put everything away.
It's not well designed but it does minimize lag.

EricBuist

Will things improve post 1.12 or just get worse? Of course, current 1.15 is probably lighter as there are less mods. Seems the same thing happened again with 1.13: Mojang changed all sorts of things that broke every mod, and then modding just has to start over almost from scratch. Forge 1.15 is even more complex than 1.12, requiring a special installation process (which prevents Forge 1.15 packs to load from MultiMC).
Are all large 1.12 packs suffering from the same lag issues as Modern Skyblock 3 or some packs manage to get mods working together more efficiently? Otherwise, I guess I need to search for smaller packs with less mods?

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Will things improve post 1.12 or just get worse? Of course, current 1.15 is probably lighter as there are less mods. Seems the same thing happened again with 1.13: Mojang changed all sorts of things that broke every mod, and then modding just has to start over almost from scratch. Forge 1.15 is even more complex than 1.12, requiring a special installation process (which prevents Forge 1.15 packs to load from MultiMC).
Things will improve in newer versions. Mojang finally decided to get off their ass and redo the code.
I know 1.13 Forge got rewritten to be more optimized and I have seen a notable improvement for newer version packs with similar mod counts.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Even if the amount of resources that the packs demands have increased - you shouldn't have crashes like you describe it.

About the allocation of ram for clients, you should have it somewhere between 4-6gb (goes for all packs based on Minecraft version 1.10 and later), on some rare occasions you might need 8gb (I think the pack author recommends 6-8gb for this pack), - but you should not really go any higher than that, this will cause other issues.

The issue you're having sounds like - either a bug in the game with something, 3rd party anvirus software or other security software on your machine, or hardware issue on your machine/machines (faulty ram or disk - as example), or network.

But as the pack you're playing is not a FTB pack, I would suggest that you reach out to the mod pack author and see if you can get some help sorting out those crashes - as that is not normal behavior.

There should be a link to their discord server on the packs curseforge page:

Brushfire

Jun 5, 2020
Hi guys - hope this is an okay place to ask this as it's related to the original topic-

Happy to read that the later versions appear to be better optimised - I've recently updated my server from the Yogscast Complete Pack to FTB Revelation (I know, few years behind, from 1.6 to 1.12) but it seems like this is especially resource-heavy and some users are having issues running this alongside our texture pack.

With this in mind, I don't suppose someone could recommend a modpack that uses a later version (perhaps 1.15?) that meets these requirements?
- doesn't have to be super heavy, but an all-purpose type modpack like the two mentioned above
- has a Sphax texture pack add-on
- has either the Chisel mod or a variation of this

EricBuist

The pack I am playing is pretty much end of life, no new update is planned. Seems we now need to play packs in less than three months, otherwise end of life, no support and bug=dead end+cheats to work around+constant frustration.
Seems I will have to spend countless number of hours tearing pretty much everything on my map, without knowing I won't have to build it up again just for the last Avaritia quests.
My ME system is always full and trying to troubleshoot that also causes crashes. Leaving a Compact Machine often works, often hangs the game forcing a restart again.
I would be surprised this is caused by hardware issue. My computer doesn't behave so erratically outside of Minecraft.