Deus Ex, aka the game you should all reinstall.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I find myself in the very odd position of writing the first post in a thread, and I always hate doing this.
Anyway, Deus Ex, a old game with depth that not many games will ever reach, and likely won't until we stop caring about spunkgargleweewee long enough to engage a player with a story, and the player stops enjoying spunkgargleweewee long enough to see that games can and must be an Art.

But more importantly, I recently reinstalled it, and while my laptop is better then many desktop PCs released, including "Hard Core Gaming" desktop PCs, I find it odd that the game slows down to a bloody crawl when I see water. Seriously, is there a setting somewhere I missed? Maybe to turn off the reflection on water and make it static?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Goddammit now I have to reinstall it.
Hehehe.
Also, the water issues were just in one location, oddly enough. Game runs smooth as fuck. Combat is still not as smooth. Dear gods, why is a non-lethal takedown so painful if I tranq them?!

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Definitely reinstall. Or, in my case, re-play. The depth to the plot, (with some story lines so well hidden, that many players may never find them) and FAR deeper player choices than Mass Effect, the game is amazing.

Plus more mods than you can shake a stick at make a very re playable game even more so!

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Which version are you running? I tried to re-install from my old original disks last year and that didn't turn out so well, but I've found the game on Steam and that version runs perfectly.

And....yeah, definitely one of those games you should've played. Also, play the prequel Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Which version are you running? [Snip]
Also, play the prequel Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

The steam version works perfectly. Though I seem to remember the GOTY disk edition I bought a while back had some issues with drivers or resolution or something when trying to reinstall on Windows 7.

And oh yeah. To avoid disappointment, avoid Invisible War. Fortunately, I almost forgot about it.

Almost.

*shudders*
(To be fair, I've played far worse games. It's just not anywhere near Deus Ex's level)