Crashing and Directory problems

SackamanjaroX

Jul 29, 2019
So first of all, Feed the Beast Monster Pack crashes whenever I try to launch it, when I click launch it opens the console window and the minecraft window but the minecraft window is (not responding) and after a while of the console spitting out words they both just close. Since it crashes like that I'm not sure if I got the whole log copied to pastebin but here's as much as I could get - http://pastebin.com/Kf0BQT80 .After trying to get that to work for a while I decided to just try Ultimate pack. This one worked but whenever I would move, the screen would stutter in an unplayable manner. I checked and normal minecraft wasn't having this problem. My other problem is that I use an ssd as a boot drive with nothing but windows 7 and a couple other programs on it. How do I stop the ftblauncher folder from being saved into C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming (the ssd)? I have the install folder as F:\Program Files (X86)\FTB which is my mechanical harddrive (I tried F:\Users\Me\desktop too but same result) and it still puts ftblauncher on my C drive and I really don't want it there. I love these types of mod packs but I just can't play them, thanks in advance.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
[09:34:26] [ERROR] FileOutputStream.open:-2->Settings.save:73: Failed to save settings: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Roaming\ftblauncher\ftblaunch.cfg (The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open)
Add your FTB install folder to the exceptions for your antivirus. If you're not sure how to do this, Google "add exception to <antivirus name>".

Edit. Reading helps. I should do it more. You need to change where the FTB launcher has its install directory set as well. That should move it off of your AppData folder.

Edit edit: I doubly fail at reading. I'm derping, please excuse me. I'm not sure if there's a way to make it not save data to your user's AppData folder then, but then again, that's the proper behavior for programs saving data in a Windows environment, and the entire point of the AppData folder existing.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
There is a way to let the old launcher of minecraft not safe in appdata and I think it would work for ftb you need to it is explained here. You just do it with your ftb launcher instead of minecraft. This also means you will need to remember to use the.bat file instead of the launcher or it will still store data in appdata.

SackamanjaroX

Jul 29, 2019
I realize that that's the point of the AppData folder but I just find it inconvenient that there is so much data that needs to be stored there. I wouldn't have a problem if it was a marginal amount of data. :/

As for the video tutorial, you make the .bat with the line of code as
set APPDATA=%CD%\data
bin\minecraft.exe
I'm using the jar version of the launcher so should i replace minecraft.exe with that or should I download the .exe version for this? I just happen to be using the jar version because I wanted to see if that helped any of my problems, which it didn't.

Now as for the antivirus part, I added all the FTB folders to the exceptions in avast but still have the same results. Opens, spits lines of codes for about a minute and then closes... http://pastebin.com/1cqGevJP

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I realize that that's the point of the AppData folder but I just find it inconvenient that there is so much data that needs to be stored there. I wouldn't have a problem if it was a marginal amount of data. :/

set APPDATA=%CD%\data
bin\minecraft.exe
I'm using the jar version of the launcher so should i replace minecraft.exe with that or should I download the .exe version for this? I just happen to be using the jar version because I wanted to see if that helped any of my problems, which it didn't.

I think you could just use the jar. But I have never done it myself so I am not sure.

Marcel van Dongen

Jul 29, 2019
@SackamanjaroX : You may be experiencing problems because of an overzealous backup program doing continuous backups. I had that problem myself. Try scheduled backups for the FTB folders if this is the case.

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK

set APPDATA=%CD%\data
bin\minecraft.exe

Now as for the antivirus part, I added all the FTB folders to the exceptions in avast but still have the same results. Opens, spits lines of codes for about a minute and then closes... http://pastebin.com/1cqGevJP

It is possibly because of where you have the launcher installed as it is a program files folder.

I see it says the F drive, is this where you install your programs to rather than the c drive.

You are also using both 32 bit and 64 bit java and the launcher is prefering the 32 bit one. Remove them both and reboot then install the x64 one from the link below and reboot again.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html

SackamanjaroX

Jul 29, 2019
It is possibly because of where you have the launcher installed as it is a program files folder.

I see it says the F drive, is this where you install your programs to rather than the c drive.

You are also using both 32 bit and 64 bit java and the launcher is prefering the 32 bit one. Remove them both and reboot then install the x64 one from the link below and reboot again.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html
Yes I install my programs on my F drive.

I went to the 'uninstall programs' section of the control panel and uninstalled java but there was no 32 bit java to be uninstalled. I uninstalled the only java that was there and rebooted/reinstalled java.
Same result as before - http://pastebin.com/h4RHcZzP

edit: There are 4 java folders on my computer for some reason, 2 in each the C drive and F drive. In both drives there is a java folder in Program Files and Program FilesX86. I have no idea why this is. Should I delete all the java folders I can find and then reinstall, is there a better way to get rid of them all, or does this even matter at all?

Marcel van Dongen

Jul 29, 2019
Your log indicates that only the 64 bit Java is found/used now. Did you try reinstalling FTB in another folder than your Program Files folder?

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
Yes I install my programs on my F drive.

I went to the 'uninstall programs' section of the control panel and uninstalled java but there was no 32 bit java to be uninstalled. I uninstalled the only java that was there and rebooted/reinstalled java.
Same result as before - http://pastebin.com/h4RHcZzP

edit: There are 4 java folders on my computer for some reason, 2 in each the C drive and F drive. In both drives there is a java folder in Program Files and Program FilesX86. I have no idea why this is. Should I delete all the java folders I can find and then reinstall, is there a better way to get rid of them all, or does this even matter at all?

I don't see an error in that log. If minecraft just closes then go to the options and turn on 'reopen launcher after exiting minecraft'. Now when the crash happens you will be able to get a log using the pastebin button from the console.