Confused about extra utilities transfer nodes

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Hi, I'm trying to use (liquid) transfer nodes to hook up my bigreactor to turbines with water and steam but I'm confused about how these work and how the speed/mining upgrades work. Also the description on the wiki seems weird. Should I use a normal transfer node or a liquid one? Because the description for the liquid says this:

Liquid transfer nodes work the same way as regular transfer nodes except they will only attempt to insert half their current buffer into a tank. They will only insert more if they have reached a dead end or you use a sorting pipe.

So perhaps I should use a normal transfer node then? And where should I place that?

Also do I need a transfer node to go from the big reactor to the steam turbine?

Thanks,

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
You need a liquid node placed against an infinite water source block (put a regular block where you want the water to be, place the node against it, then break the block & add water). The mining upgrades will make it draw more water faster from the source, I think you need at least half a stack to keep up with the demands of a reactor. The speed upgrades will help it find destinations faster, if you use a short line of pipe straight to your reactor, you don't need them, if you are piping water all over your base from a single source, you will probably want to use them.

If you use the Extra Utilities pipes to connect the turbine you should need the liquid transfer node. I personally like the look of using several TE fluiducts, although many people use TE tesseracts placed right on the ports for their unlimited transfer capacity.

Don't forget to pipe the turbine waste water back into the reactor.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Thanks for that. That helped a lot. I put a full stack and a half of speed and energy upgrades in the transfer node and now my turbine produces about 9000 RF/tick. That's a lot better then 140 but not close to 25% of what the passive reactor could do.

So I need to do some tweaking but I don't really understand all the parameters of the turbine yet. I currently have 40 blades which should be good for 1000mb/tick and I thought that's what my reactor did before I made it active. But now it says 1400mb/tick so I probably need more blades. Also I have two rings of enderium blocks. Perhaps I need a bit more then that too. But then the controls for the turbine have a lot of parameters that I don't really get. Any hints on those?

Thanks!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Thanks for that. That helped a lot. I put a full stack and a half of speed and energy upgrades in the transfer node and now my turbine produces about 9000 RF/tick. That's a lot better then 140 but not close to 25% of what the passive reactor could do.

So I need to do some tweaking but I don't really understand all the parameters of the turbine yet. I currently have 40 blades which should be good for 1000mb/tick and I thought that's what my reactor did before I made it active. But now it says 1400mb/tick so I probably need more blades. Also I have two rings of enderium blocks. Perhaps I need a bit more then that too. But then the controls for the turbine have a lot of parameters that I don't really get. Any hints on those?

Thanks!
Make sure you have the least amount of upgrades in the transfer node as you need. Too many will contribute to lag quite a lot.

Use this to design your turbine:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...TUxOUGxMRlpERWtPMmtGT213bmc&usp=sharing#gid=1
You need to run it at the peak RPMs of 900 or 1800 to get any real value, and to do that you need to hit the sweet spots between the correct amounts of coils and blades for the amount of steam you can/want to produce.

Note that reactors are capable of outputting tons of steam, but you might not want to due to efficiency concerns.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Well I have seen that spreadsheet before but I don't fully understand how to apply that to my real situation. Also when I look at the second tab of that spreadsheet I see that to get more then the 42000 RF/tick that I'm getting in passive mode I would actually have to let the turbine run faster then the normal maximum of 2000. I'm not sure this explodes right now but I don't want to misconfigure my reactor. This spreadsheet seems to imply to me that I cannot get more then 42000 (safely) with a turbine? So what's the point in using turbines then? I'm still very confused.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Well I have seen that spreadsheet before but I don't fully understand how to apply that to my real situation. Also when I look at the second tab of that spreadsheet I see that to get more then the 42000 RF/tick that I'm getting in passive mode I would actually have to let the turbine run faster then the normal maximum of 2000. I'm not sure this explodes right now but I don't want to misconfigure my reactor. This spreadsheet seems to imply to me that I cannot get more then 42000 (safely) with a turbine? So what's the point in using turbines then? I'm still very confused.
The spreadsheet uses default RF/t values.(there is even a HUGE red warning about it in the spreadsheet). Your modpack most likely use some special config settings. I know FTB packs use something like 1.2x power production setting. If you want to know how much power you would get in your exact modpack you need to look up the bigreactor configs used.

And tbh. There is noone preventing you from using multiple turbines per reactor. It is quite common to use something like 5 turbines per reactor. It all depends on how much steam it outputs at your chosen level of efficiency.

And you NEVER EVER want to run your turbines at any other RPM than 850-950 or 1750-1850! Deviating just a slightest out of these ranges will more than halve the RF output.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Actually I checked the config and I'm using just regular 1x power output and 1x fuel usage.

I'll try adding a turbine if I can find the resources for that :)