(bug) Launcher not being automatically given executable permissions on update

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeLuigi

Jul 29, 2019
The launcher is great and works really well. I'm planning to use it when more mods are out.

But also, there's a small thing I'd like to see fixed (should just be 1 line of code in the updater):

Firstly, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place - it's the best I could find.

Anyway, to the point, on Linux, when a new launcher update, it asks you like it should.

It updates fine, and restarts properly. BUT, when you close it down and re-run it,
Java refuses to launch it:
2v9b4v6.png

Contrary to what you might think by looking at the message, it's not because it thinks it's dangerous, it's just that the new downloaded file does not have its executable bit set. (as explained here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/ExecutableBit - thats also where the link points)

It's easy to use properties and check Executable (allowing you to run it again), BUT I think it'd be nice if the updater set the executable flag for you (it should be just one line of code, or maybe three, right?).

As I said, not a major bug, but something that would just be convenient.

Vegoraptor

Jul 29, 2019
This goes here.
You are welcome.
By the way, i experienced something similar with my antivirus (Norton), this happens due to the launcher being quite new, so it might fix itself after a while, maybe even at the next minor Linux update.

SomeLuigi

Jul 29, 2019
This goes here.
You are welcome.
By the way, i experienced something similar with my antivirus (Norton), this happens due to the launcher being quite new, so it might fix itself after a while, maybe even at the next minor Linux update.

The actual download on the jar needed to be set executable. I think they just need to add like one line to chmod it.

About where this should go, I thought that was for the most critical errors. If I posted there I'd probably get a response such as "use properties->executable or chmod". I already know how to do that, so I thought this would be more feedback.

To make it more feedback-like, I say that the launcher is awesome, and works great (apart from the noted small quirk).

Vegoraptor

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, fine with me if you want to leave it here, you will just need to let the moderators judge about whether it should be moved or not.

Punny Bunny

Jul 29, 2019
I think this should stay here in the feedback section, rather than be moved to the tech support, as this isn't a support issue but more of a suggestion. I'm not 100% sure that Linux is supported, either, but I hope the devs take into consideration this feedback. Seems like it could be helpful to our Linux crowd. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.