Boiler runs out of fuel when I am offline

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zuiko

Jul 29, 2019
I have a 3x4 HP boiler fueled by blaze rods from a spawner. Twice now I have heated it up, once to 1000 degrees and last time only 800 or so before logging off. The issue is that the boiler uses up ALL its fuel and goes cold (20 degrees) when I am logged off. I do not have a chunk loader on the chunk with the boiler in it. I have one a chunk or two away that is set to radius = 1.

I am thinking maybe the chunk keeps on going because when I logoff near it and there is nobody else logged on it continues to run. Then for some reason the blaze spawner stops spawning. So no fuel. It seems like I have seen chunks stay loaded before when the last person on the server logs off. Is there a server or config setting for this?

I have a boiler on another server and haven't noticed issues with it running when I am offline. But it is liquid fueled so maybe it just has run sometimes but hasn't been an issue because of the massive amount of biofuel I have stored up for it. Any ideas?

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
I had a couple of issues with boilers failing when I was offline as well. The only things I can suggest are to check and recheck what chunks are being loaded. Either the chunk with the boiler has to remain unloaded or you have to have the boiler as well as the entire fuel setup loaded at the same time, including all the transporting pipes of the fuel. It would seem that your blaze farm is being unloaded but your boiler is not, so no fuel to keep up. Do you have any portal gun portals in the area, or any chunk loaders at all?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Blaze Rods recently got nerfed really hard in the latest update. Instead of 2.4k heat, it's something like 0.3 now.

Due to it being an easy matter now with soul shards to farm blaze rods, railcraft author must have felt it too overpowering.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you could do the reverse and chunkload both areas. (Boiler and spawner)

Build an energy overflow misuse plant beneath the boiler or something. I suggest electrolyzing obsidian dust or centrifuging lava.

zuiko

Jul 29, 2019
Yea I guess I could just try chunk loading the blaze spawner or the entire base... I usually like for everything to shut down when I log so I don't have anything overflowing etc. The only single chunk loader I keep is so my quarry output has somewhere to go if I leave the area.... I am assuming it will just spill out onto the ground at the quarry site if the item tesseract on the other end is unloaded. But that is a couple chunks away from the boiler so that shouldn't be keeping it loaded.

But if they are nerfing the blaze rods down to 0.3k (that is just crazy) I am going to have to tear everything up and rebuild with liquid fuel anyway. Blaze rods would be worthless at that point, as boiler fuel anyway.

zuiko

Jul 29, 2019
Well I removed the chunk loader just to verify that it isn't keeping the boiler loaded, and it still stays loaded... Is there a server config setting that will prevent it from leaving random chunks with no loaders in them loaded while nobody is online? I would really prefer to keep nothing loaded than the reverse keep everything loaded 24x7 option which will just bog down the server.