'Better than Quarry' auto mining set up....?

kroysemaj

Jul 29, 2019
I've been following DW20's Season 5 Let's Play and I remember him saying when he set up his quarry that it was a 'mid-tier mining solution.' He indicated there were better setups but that they required a lot more work to get going. I'm wondering what exactly he's talking about. Do any of his long-term fans out there know what he's referring to?

I'm curious because I'd like to have a more portable and less destructive mining set up. I was considering a phalanx of IC2 miners. Could that be what he has in mind?

Scaffolding

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really follow Direwolf20 but I would imagine that one of the options might involve turtles, at least for the ability to program them to avoid ores/gems that you may want to use Fortune/Silktouch on later. That and they are very reliable(if proper error handling) and practically indestructible.

Although I could be wrong and maybe he intends on using the Arcane Bore but I have no idea what that device does.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
He was referring to the Frame quarry (redpower2) and Frame Bore he built in the previous season. Both can generate an immense amount of ouput and can be built as large or small as you like.

I'm planning to make a frame quarry that uses 4 of the TC3 bores... :) just utterly destroy the aura as I go along.. this is assuming of course I can attach them to the frames and not crash.

Reactions: Golrith

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
Frame TBM's seem to be the rage these days, they travel horizontally and take out all of the resources as they go. If you run the DW20 Config, then you will need three (or one really tall one), Copper and Tin are at very specific levels. Here's the rough cost of a 9x9 Tunnel Bore. I didn't calculate the cost of the diamond draw plate, or Diamond Hand Saw (I used my Alpha Recipe App), so you'll have to add the cost of those in manually. I also didn't consider the cost of the frames to support everything that's driving it, or the components (like a timer etc) to actually make everything work as it should. You'll also need to consider a way to charge the Batteries at your base, but I included the cost of the Retriever/Filter/Ender Chest to make that work

Code:
Requirements for 1 TBM

=== Raw Material Requirements ===
Blaze Rod               -   16
Coal                    -    8
Cobblestone             -    1 stack and 62 extra (126)
Copper                  -   42
Diamond                 -    2
Ender Pearl             -    9
Gold                    -   12
Iron                    -    1 stack and 15 extra (79)
Leather                 -    2
Nikolite                -   52
Obsidian                -   10
Redstone Dust           -   47
Sand                    -   10
Silver                  -    7
Tin                     -   10
Wood                    -   30
Wool                    -    4

=== Left Overs ===
Brass                   -    1
Plank                   -    2
Pneumatic Tube          -    7
Silicon Wafer           -   12
Stick                   -    2

=== Intermediate Steps ===
BT Battery              -    4
Battery Box             -    1
Block Breaker           -    9
Blue Alloy Ingot        -    7
Bluletric Motor         -    2
Brass                   -   24
Chest                   -    4
Copper Coil             -    4
Ender Chest             -    4
Filter                  -    4
Fine Copper Wire        -   16
Frame                   -    9
Frame Motor             -    2
Glass                   -    2
Iron Bars               -   16
Iron Pickaxe            -    9 stacks (9)
Piston                  -   13
Plank                   -    1 stack and 52 extra (116)
Pneumatic Tube          -   16
Red Doped Wafer         -    4
Redstone Tube           -    9
Redstone Tube Frame     -    9
Retreiver               -    2
Silicon Boule           -    1
Silicon Wafer           -   16
Stick                   -    1 stack and 28 extra (92)
World Anchor            -    1

Reactions: Freyr

valhar2000

Jul 29, 2019
I'm curious because I'd like to have a more portable and less destructive mining set up. I was considering a phalanx of IC2 miners. Could that be what he has in mind?

In season 4 of his SSP Let's Play you can see what he meant. He was talking about a Redpower frame quarry, as other have mentioned.

Frames are a special block that Redpower has that can be moved using a frame motor. For example, if you make a 4x4x4 cube out of frame blocks and place a motor beside it, when you send a redstone signal to the motor it will move the whole frame structure. If there are blocks touching the frame blocks those blocks will be moved as well. This functionality allows you to make a machine that will mine blocks.

In simple terms, a Redpower quarry consists of a lot of block-breaker machines that rest on frames. You send a redstone signal to the block breakers so that they mine the blocks in front of them, and then you move the whole machine forward, thus pushing the block-breakers toward new blocks. You can keep repeating this process over and over again, mining one layer of blocks each time.

This system is better than a quarry because you can mine several blocks at a time, rather than mining them one at a time like the BD quary does. Also, you can orient the machine horizontally so that it mines to the side rather than down like the BD quarry: this way, a Redpower quarry will never need to be reset, unlike the BD quarry that has to be reset when it mines all the way down to the bedrock. Last, but not least, if you design correctly, you can upgrade the Redpower quarry easily by adding new block-breakers and new frames to hold them. You could start with a small 3x3 quarry (that mines 9 blocks at a time) and end up with a huge 64x64 quarry (4096 blocks at a time), or even more. I've seen Redpower quarries that can do a mining operation every 2 seconds or so: imagine a machine that mines out 2000 blocks per second!

The downside, of course, is that it requires much more work to setup, since you have to design it and build it yourself, and you need to have the materials required to build it. And, if you build a really big one, you need to have a sorting mechanism that can handle that much work, not to mention a beefy computer to process all that activity.

valhar2000

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf20 said he'd heard of, but never saw, a Redpower quarry that fit into a single column. This, and the explanation I gave, is assuming that you use the latest version of Redpower that allows you to combine frame blocks with tubes. Otherwise, 2x3 is probably the smallest, and the larger designs I mentioned would have to be a little more complex.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
If that's true, I'm going to make a 3x3 one. Because 3x2... They just don't look the same when not square.

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
Frame TBM's seem to be the rage these days, they travel horizontally and take out all of the resources as they go.

If you run the DW20 Config, then you will need three (or one really tall one), Copper and Tin are at very specific levels. Here's the rough cost of a 9x9 Tunnel Bore.

They are "the rage these days" because they are way too cheap to build, don't need any supply of a ressource and are really easy to build. People tend to go the easiest path and not the most realistic or funniest path.

I am using the DW20 setup and only need to mine at two levels, the usual Diamond etc level (5-16) and the Copper/Tin Level (40-50). Have you build a third one for Silver/Lead which is 15-30 or something? (I use the Thaumcraft transmutation for this).

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
You can move the Thaumcraft bore (and the BC quarry) on frames.
Time to build something stupid.​
Just make sure to pick up the quarry with a deployer or it will attempt to eat itself as your frame system comes into its purview! Yes.. it happened.

Yes... something stupid is coming :)

FYI - Tesseracts can't be moved by frames yet, haven't tested energy cells.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
whats the smallest frame quarry possible to make?

If you are fine with a larger flying bit that moves around above the surface, and a quarry bit that digs down (like the first one dw20 built), you can make a quarry that mines 1x1 holes.

Jeff Fisher

Jul 29, 2019
I've wanted to make one of these as I am really new to redpower 2 and it seems like a neat project but Im curious about running into lava.. I mean if you run into lava isnt it game over for our machine? I wonder if you could set it up to replace the ceiling and walls with cobble as it goes foward.

graydaze

Jul 29, 2019
block breakers destroy lava and water source blocks and as long as nothing in your frame machine is flammable it will be fine.

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
To give you a better idea about the dangers of lava or even water, it would be wise to at least cover the top of your frame machine with frames and covers to ensure that a lava lake doesnt empty on top of it.[DOUBLEPOST=1360949262][/DOUBLEPOST]And on another side note. A nice thing about frame quarries and tunnel bores, you dont have to only move in one direction. If you want to move along another axis just add more frame motors and block breakers in that direction. Or if your really feeling fancy... just think mffs!

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
To give you a better idea about the dangers of lava or even water, it would be wise to at least cover the top of your frame machine with frames and covers to ensure that a lava lake doesnt empty on top of it.[DOUBLEPOST=1360949262][/DOUBLEPOST]And on another side note. A nice thing about frame quarries and tunnel bores, you dont have to only move in one direction. If you want to move along another axis just add more frame motors and block breakers in that direction. Or if your really feeling fancy... just think mffs!

OMG, i saw a video on a guy that made a 16X mining turtle with a MFFS block breaker upgrade... it was the bomb. gotta make one of those

Roady

Jul 29, 2019
They are "the rage these days" because they are way too cheap to build, don't need any supply of a ressource and are really easy to build. People tend to go the easiest path and not the most realistic or funniest path.

I am using the DW20 setup and only need to mine at two levels, the usual Diamond etc level (5-16) and the Copper/Tin Level (40-50). Have you build a third one for Silver/Lead which is 15-30 or something? (I use the Thaumcraft transmutation for this).
Honestly, I use frame quarries not because of any of the reasons you are giving.
But instead: it is the ONE way to mine (for me) that requires some thought/design to get working. (personal opinion)
I dislike the quarries, since they're essentially: plop magic quarry block down, add engine, get ores.
Computercraft Turtles I always feel like... they are cheating somewhat, plop turtle, run code (excavate was built in right?), get ores.
etc. Or perhaps I do not like coding in minecraft too much, ah well.

Then again... my mind IS trying to think of a way to build an AI driving one of my mining frames. (trough setting up a redstone neural net)