Bees question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
recently ive started with bees and the advanced extra bee machines and managed to get a fast worker serum just wondered if anyone knows the maths in comb production for the differnt speeds?

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
I believe you can deduce the rules if you look at the Apiarist's Database - it lists the 'natural' speeds and production rates for different species.
(The species which gives 'fast' is cultivated, btw)
I'm not sure, though, whether the listed rate is for an Apiary without frames... and I've forgotten how much apiary frames boost production now.

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
I believe you can deduce the rules if you look at the Apiarist's Database - it lists the 'natural' speeds and production rates for different species.
(The species which gives 'fast' is cultivated, btw)
I'm not sure, though, whether the listed rate is for an Apiary without frames... and I've forgotten how much apiary frames boost production now.
i know this the main reason im asking is to see if metal bees are worth it i have a Tin bee think it was slower speed got it to fast speed with serum its default speed is 15min per tin comb each comb gives tiny dust so that works out at 1hr per tin ingot just wanted to know how much faster i will get the combs as to me 1hr per ingot is not even close to worth it

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
i know this the main reason im asking is to see if metal bees are worth it i have a Tin bee think it was slower speed got it to fast speed with serum its default speed is 15min per tin comb each comb gives tiny dust so that works out at 1hr per tin ingot just wanted to know how much faster i will get the combs as to me 1hr per ingot is not even close to worth it
Put them in an alviary, these thing are quite good when all you need is to produce goods.
Just make sure to automate it a bit, and you are set.

Even 1 per hour can be good, if you run it 24/7, as pure bees can always be set in a "set and forget" loop.
It would always be better than nothing, and you won't have to work for it, as you already have the bees for it.

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
Put them in an alviary, these thing are quite good when all you need is to produce goods.
Just make sure to automate it a bit, and you are set.

Even 1 per hour can be good, if you run it 24/7, as pure bees can always be set in a "set and forget" loop.
It would always be better than nothing, and you won't have to work for it, as you already have the bees for it.
im playing SSP and dont get long to play so 1 per hr is terrable its not to bad on a server alvery is 1 of my goals but there not cheap but im getting closer to one when i get one il prob but my best bees in it (hopefully diamond bee when i get one)

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any reason that you are not running your world on a server? Unless the reason is an obvious one like its not your computer or you have a very old computer I would recommend setting up a private server for your world. A lot of things in feed the beast take lots of time to complete and it would be beneficial and time saving to have them running while you are not playing.

for metal bees I've found that really the only way to make them worth it was to get a lot of them going otherwise 1 ingot an hour is just stupid for the amount of work that has to go into breeding them with the random chance of actually getting the bee you want and everything. Not to mention they are limited to only 1 drone.

Lunarknight32

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't have gregtech, then they give you tin dust, which is a lot better than effectively a quarter tin ingot.
Edit: never mind, you get tin dust at a 25% chance, so on average it's just as good as tin dust piles.

Also, thaumic bees has some bees (if you look in the aparist database) that have faster and fastest speeds. (How to actually get those bees, I have no idea) I haven't tested with them, but they can be isolated and put on your metal bees.

DanteDarkstar

Jul 29, 2019
Just a sort-of-related question:
if you have gregtech, why not industrial-centrifuge lava ?
Lava yields copper, tin and electrum in copious amounts (along with tiny amounts of tungsten), turning nether into nigh-infinite easy-to-automate mine for all basic metals except iron (for which you have pyrite there).

Now, ruby bees I could understand...

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
Lava yields copper, tin and electrum in copious amounts (along with tiny amounts of tungsten), turning nether into nigh-infinite easy-to-automate mine for all basic metals except iron (for which you have pyrite there).

mostly due to me feeling thats abit cheaty im not hurting for tin/copper and im just trying to collect most of the bees

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019

It may not be the most efficient way to get ore however it is mostly for the fun and the bragging rights that you have bees that make ore lol.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
It is also a way that costs next to nothing energy wise, and can easily be automated into a set and forget style.

Bees take time to produce, but they don't demand anything once the conditions are satisfied.

The major hurdle is the breeding anyway, that is what will make you have hard time.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
It is also a way that costs next to nothing energy wise, and can easily be automated into a set and forget style.

Bees take time to produce, but they don't demand anything once the conditions are satisfied.

The major hurdle is the breeding anyway, that is what will make you have hard time.
To go along with your breeding comment, metal bees are in my opinion the hardest to get the ones you want/need. With there being 3-4 possible types you can get. If you get the princess you want you might not get the drone you need.
So that in it self deserves bragging rights alone. I think it took me 10 tries from rocky to resilient to get a single rusty bee and that wasn't even a pair it was just a princess.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Did you use soul frames?
They do help a lot in the breeding process, even in this case.

And the "multiple possibilities" is similar to the noble/industrial branches (cultivated+common), you just have 3 possibilities instead of 2.
Ok, that's hard to get, I agree, but that's stil feasible if you use soul frames.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Did you use soul frames?
They do help a lot in the breeding process, even in this case.

And the "multiple possibilities" is similar to the noble/industrial branches (cultivated+common), you just have 3 possibilities instead of 2.
Ok, that's hard to get, I agree, but that's stil feasible if you use soul frames.
Yeah I use soul frames 24/7 for bees I want to mutate. When I said it took 10 tries to get the rusty bee I mean 10 mutations from resilient to a metal bee just the one I wanted took forever to show up.
But yeah its totally feasible you just need some black magic working on the RNG to get the bees your after.