Bee Mutation problem

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
so I am trying to breed as many bee species as possible, and I'm trying to do it in a plains biome.
I used the extra bees machines to change the temperature, humidity, flowers traits and etc so they'd be able to live in the plains biome.

now breeding everything went pretty well with the bee species that don't mind the plains biome, but I am now trying to breed the austere branch and it's just not working. the modest and sinister bee that I used to get a frugal were both modified to +5 for both humidity and temperature tolerance, they need rocks for flowers and have their effects removed. when I try to breed them together, I only get pure breeds, or sinister/modest mutations, and I have not gotten a single frugal mutation.

but I messed around a bit, and the bee started to want a hellish biome, so I moved to the nether and messed with the bee there, and somehow it did became a frugal bee. after a while it became a purebred and I modified it aswell so it'd like to be in the plains biome.

now I have been trying to get the austere bee, with a modified modest and frugal bee, and I put them in an alveary with 3 mutator blocks and 5 frame housing with chocolate frames, and I tried to bred them 3 times, which would be enough to produce a mutation, but nope, they were only purebed or modest/frugal mutations.

so I was wondering, to get a mutation to happen, do you need unmodified parent bees, or does the environment need to match the traits of the bee you are trying to mutate to?

if it's the latter, I would only have to put some heaters in the alveary to fix the problem, but if the bee parents also need to be unmodified... it'll be a pain in the arse to do that and for future mutations _[=]_O

Tjaden

Jul 29, 2019
I do not believe the bee parents need to be unmodified, as I have never had this problem. if I were you I would try placing a heater in the alveary with a bucket of lava in it. In the overworld to try and mutate to the Austere, if that dosen't work, breed the bee in the nether then come back and breed them to create more in the overworld.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
To get certain bees you require certain biomes, no matter WHAT the parents can operate in.

The austere branch, for example, needs to be created in the Nether. Heroic bees require a forest biome. I'm not aware of any others off the top of my head (in fact I think there ARE no others with this sort of requirement), so for the most part you can get away with genetic manipulation to do all your bee-work in one place.

Reactions: Catarooni

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
The bee species your trying to breed here will only mutate in the nether, i ran into the exact same problem a while ago, when i moved to the nether with a few mutators everything went quite well nearly right away.

EDIT: ninja'd by bomb block, suppose its fair as i did the same to him a few days ago

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
I will admit i am not the best reader out there, i often mistake letters or parts of words. You have no idea how often i misunderstand thigns because of one word i misread. And as weird as it is, no matter how often i saw your posts, i always readed your name as block, only now you mentioned it i see how wrong i was.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
well, it seems the frugal species did need the nether, since it eventually mutated after I went to the nether on a whim, but it seems the austere species does not require the nether to mutate.
since I have a wasteland biome next to my plains biome anyways, I thought I'd try with the same bees I used in the alveary mutator, and on the first try in the wasteland biome I got the austere species.
I kept breeding it there till I got a full bred one.

so yea, now I discovered with the help of you all and with some testing by myself that traits don't matter with mutating, but the traits of the new species you are trying to mutate to does.
next species I'll try and see if I can get it in my plains biome with some heaters.

ex13

Jul 29, 2019
The austere branch, for example, needs to be created in the Nether. Heroic bees require a forest biome. I'm not aware of any others off the top of my head

There is at least one more: Rural needs a plains biome. But that should be all. All other species can be bred in ANY biome, even in biomes they might not be able to work.

Also, the mutations of the austere branch are not actually restricted to a single biome (like rural an heroic), but to specific temperatures (190-200%) and humidities (0-10% afaik). Thus, they should also work in deserts and co. (I got my austere branch mutations all in the savanna), and also Wastelands.

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
Trait of the target species also matter very little. When a bee mutates that part gets the default traits of there specie. such as effects and tolerances. It is more then possible to create the tropical brance in a ice biome as long as there parrents have the tolerance to work in cold biomes. There mutated offspring will lose this tolerance though. So you dont need heaters for a mutation, only as a replacement for a innoculator or aclimatiser.

EDIT: another note, the demonic brance also requires breeding in the nether. There are a handfull of breeds that need spesific biome, of whcih most are the nether. There should be a list on some wiki somewhere. However not all are up to date and accurate. If i where at my home computer i would have linked the most up to date list i know off. I'll get to that when i get home if noone found it yet

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Trait of the target species also matter very little. When a bee mutates that part gets the default traits of there specie. such as effects and tolerances. It is more then possible to create the tropical brance in a ice biome as long as there parrents have the tolerance to work in cold biomes. There mutated offspring will lose this tolerance though. So you dont need heaters for a mutation, only as a replacement for a innoculator or aclimatiser.

EDIT: another note, the demonic brance also requires breeding in the nether. There are a handfull of breeds that need spesific biome, of whcih most are the nether. There should be a list on some wiki somewhere. However not all are up to date and accurate. If i where at my home computer i would have linked the most up to date list i know off. I'll get to that when i get home if noone found it yet
Missing info has been added to the wiki. Full list of bees with specific requests for a successful mutation:
Forestry 2.0.0.11:
Sinister, Fiendish, Demonic => Nether
Frugal, Austere => Temperature 190%-200% & Humidity 0%-10% (e.g. Deserts)
Rural => Plains
Heroic => Forest & Forest Hills
Leporine => Around Easter (April 6 - April 15)
Merry => Around Christmas (December 21 - December 27)
Tipsy => Around New Year (December 27 - January 2)

Thaumic Bees 1.4.3c:
Vis => Aura node naerby (40 or 80 meters, depending on parents)
Pure => Pure node nearby (5 meters)
Flux => Unstable node nearby (30 meters)
Node => Aura node narby (4 meters) & Moonphase: Half moon (waning or waxing)
Gossamer => Moonphase: between full moon and waning crescent moon.

Extra Bees 1.5.0.6b:
Jaded => Playername "jadedcat"

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Technically, nether bees need not be bred in the Nether. You may breed them in the Hell Biome, which can be obtained via Mystcraft, which is why my No-Mining Bee map works so great.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
Missing info has been added to the wiki. Full list of bees with specific requests for a successful mutation:
Forestry 2.0.0.11:
Sinister, Fiendish, Demonic => Nether
Frugal, Austere => Temperature 190%-200% & Humidity 0%-10% (e.g. Deserts)
Rural => Plains
Heroic => Forest & Forest Hills
Leporine => Around Easter (April 6 - April 15)
Merry => Around Christmas (December 21 - December 27)
Tipsy => Around New Year (December 27 - January 2)

Thaumic Bees 1.4.3c:
Vis => Aura node naerby (40 or 80 meters, depending on parents)
Pure => Pure node nearby (5 meters)
Flux => Unstable node nearby (30 meters)
Node => Aura node narby (4 meters) & Moonphase: Half moon (waning or waxing)
Gossamer => Moonphase: between full moon and waning crescent moon.

Ooh, thanks. I'd been needing some of that info, particularly for Thaumic bees, and this came at the perfect time.

Extra Bees 1.5.0.6b:
Jaded => Playername "jadedcat"

Seriously? I guess everyone else on the planet will have to stick to industrious bees for pollen production then...

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
You can imprint it. It still works.
Cheating it in is always possible, either via the imprinter or via the /qiveprincess + /qivedrone command. But getting the bee via a legit mutation isn't possible for us normal "peasants" ;)
The thing just is, that Binnie forgot to set the Jaded Bee as "Not Counted", so until that is fixed, noone will ever be able to get a 100% complete statistic anymore. (True for EB 1.5.0.6b). Maybe he fixed it for 1.5.x, I don't know that yet.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Cheating it in is always possible, either via the imprinter or via the /qiveprincess + /qivedrone command. But getting the bee via a legit mutation isn't possible for us normal "peasants" ;)
The thing just is, that Binnie forgot to set the Jaded Bee as "Not Counted", so until that is fixed, noone will ever be able to get a 100% complete statistic anymore. (True for EB 1.5.0.6b). Maybe he fixed it for 1.5.x, I don't know that yet.
Once I finish my bee chart compendium, I'll count all obtainable bees. Did you know that if you click on Luft or Blitz from Thaumic Bees 1.5 in the Master Apiarist Database, you crash?

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Once I finish my bee chart compendium, I'll count all obtainable bees. Did you know that if you click on Luft or Blitz from Thaumic Bees 1.5 in the Master Apiarist Database, you crash?
Since I'm still on 1.4.7: No, I didn't know that.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh. There is a beta Thaumic Bees for 1.4.7 that contains the Ars Magica bees.
DOn't remember where.