Anyway to Stop Receiving E-mails?

Delgar3

Jul 29, 2019
I've turned off alerts and notifications and turned off the function for the forum to send me emails, yet every time I view a thread and a new post appears I keep getting emails.

Is there anyway to turn this off?

Thanks

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
If you have a thread set to send you email notifications then that is exactly what it will do. Go to the thread you are getting emailed about and unwatch it

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Thanks for replying @Captainnana.

My preferences show the following two options:
  • Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply...
    • and receive email notifications of replies

I have the first item checked because I do want to watch these threads and receive forum alerts about them.
I have the second item unchecked because I don't want emails about these notifications. However, I'm getting emails that meet this criteria regardless.

The preference wording seems pretty clear. I can have the option to watch a thread and not receive email notifications of replies. They're not separate options: the second is a sub-option of the first.

But instead...

upload_2015-4-22_10-36-1.png

(99% of that junk is from FTB)

Attachments

• upload_2015-4-22_10-35-27.png
    upload_2015-4-22_10-35-27.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 67

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for replying @Captainnana.

My preferences show the following two options:

I have the first item checked because I do want to watch these threads and receive forum alerts about them.
I have the second item unchecked because I don't want emails about these notifications. However, I'm getting emails that meet this criteria regardless.

The preference wording seems pretty clear. I can have the option to watch a thread and not receive email notifications of replies. They're not separate options: the second is a sub-option of the first.

But instead...

View attachment 18112

(99% of that junk is from FTB)
Yes but if you had email alerts checked then any threads you were part of in that time would have defaulted to email you. You need to go to the threads using the "Watched Threads" button change your watch settings

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You realize that that's insane and that the setting should simply do what it says it does? 90% of people will look for that preference specifically because they're looking to stop emails they don't want. It won't occur to them (and it shouldn't) that any threads they were watching before they un-checked that setting still send them unwanted emails. That's an intuitiveness issue that's probably out of your hands to do anything about, but just an FYI.

Also: I'm still not 100% clear on preventing the emails. Do I need to Unwatch and then Re-watch every thread I'm watching?

fwiw, I'm a professional web developer, so there's no misunderstanding that I'm speaking from the incorrect anatomy.

Reactions: the_j485

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
You realize that that's insane and that the setting should simply do what it says it does? 90% of people will look for that preference specifically because they're looking to stop emails they don't want. It won't occur to them (and it shouldn't) that any threads they were watching before they un-checked that setting still send them unwanted emails. That's an intuitiveness issue that's probably out of your hands to do anything about, but just an FYI.

Also: I'm still not 100% clear on preventing the emails. Do I need to Unwatch and then Re-watch every thread I'm watching?

fwiw, I'm a professional web developer, so there's no misunderstanding that I'm speaking from the incorrect anatomy.
You are correct in that I have no control over this aspect of the software. That said I don't believe there is anything wrong with how xenforo have it setup. The language they have used in that setting is very specific:
It clearly states that you will automatically start watching threads "when you reply" and thus disabling that option would not necessarily stop you from receiving email notifications from threads you already watch i.e. threads you made with this setting enabled.

As for the threads you currently watch here there are tick boxes down the side to allow you to perform bulk tasks

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You are correct in that I have no control over this aspect of the software. That said I don't believe there is anything wrong with how xenforo have it setup. The language they have used in that setting is very specific:
It clearly states that you will automatically start watching threads "when you reply" and thus disabling that option would not necessarily stop you from receiving email notifications from threads you already watch i.e. threads you made with this setting enabled.

As for the threads you currently watch here there are tick boxes down the side to allow you to perform bulk tasks
Excellent, thanks. Somehow I didn't see the "Manage Watched Threads" button.

I'll take issue with one part of your reply however.

I'm confident that its not clear at all, which is confirmed when people with reasonable English skills don't make the connection. Its not really debatable at that point, the issue is already decided by facts rather than opinions. In review, it doesn't even particularly qualify as ambiguous.

Thanks kindly for your time cap'n, hope you take the feedback constructively.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Oh good, I'm not an idiot. Watched Threads doesn't have that button directly.

Ok, since I see this problem crop up with a fair degree of regularity, here's an idiot-proof walkthrough:

If you want to stop getting emails on watched threads:
1) Un-check the bottom option in your preferences obviously.
Warning: I'm told this only works on future watched threads. Hence the rest of the steps.

2) Click "Watched Threads" in your menu
upload_2015-4-23_9-12-11.png

3) Scroll to the bottom of that page (seriously) and find the small "Show all Watched Threads" button. Click that.
upload_2015-4-23_9-13-32.png

4) Now you have "Manage Watched Threads". Mouseover it to see the option to "Disable email notifications." Click that.
upload_2015-4-23_9-16-43.png

5) #questionmarksprofit.

Attachments

• upload_2015-4-23_9-0-28.png
    upload_2015-4-23_9-0-28.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 62
  • upload_2015-4-23_9-12-4.png
    upload_2015-4-23_9-12-4.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: rhn

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Clarify point please, Slind?

I don't think that last checkbox is relevant. I do want copies of emails sent by the admins in case they want to pester me about something.

Slind

Mar 8, 2013
Clarify point please, Slind?

I don't think that last checkbox is relevant. I do want copies of emails sent by the admins in case they want to pester me about something.
well it is all up to you. I only linked you to all "relevant" global options around this topic. Do whatever you like with it.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Oh, gotcha. Thanks.

Just be aware that you can't get everything done from there. As per the captain, those settings don't prevent already-existing watched threads from generating email notifications.

Slind

Mar 8, 2013
Just be aware that you can't get everything done from there. As per the captain, those settings don't prevent already-existing watched threads from generating email notifications.
that's true, though I don't know if the administrator email setting doesn't disable all. There are countries where a feature to disable all email subscriptions by one click is required (by law) without account deletion.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
that's true, though I don't know if the administrator email setting doesn't disable all. There are countries where a feature to disable all email subscriptions by one click is required (by law) without account deletion.
Good point, didn't think of that. Perhaps they'll amend the option at some point.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Pretty sure I turned off email notifications when I signed up, so not sure how they suddenly got enabled for a bunch of threads, but Pyure's method worked just fine.

However how does one disable receiving emails when someone PMs you or replies to PMs?

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty sure I turned off email notifications when I signed up, so not sure how they suddenly got enabled for a bunch of threads, but Pyure's method worked just fine.

However how does one disable receiving emails when someone PMs you or replies to PMs?
There is a checkbox in your user preferences for it in "contact details -> messaging preferences -> Receive email when a new conversation message is received"

Reactions: rhn