Solved Allocating RAM to FTB Ultimate Reloaded 1.8.0 Server

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

sh4d0w1ink920

Jul 4, 2020
Hi all. I've searched for similar threads without being able to find a fix, so I'm hoping someone can offer advice. I've installed a new server for FTB Ultimate Reloaded 1.8.0. I'm trying to allocate more RAM to the server as it's lagging quite a bit, and my GUI shows it's using ~512 MB with 1% additional RAM free. However, I've already gone into the settings.bat file and changed the text as follows:
rem can be changed by user
set MAX_RAM=8G
set JAVA_PARAMETERS=-XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX: ParallelGCThreads=5 -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=5 -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=10
As far as I can tell, the ServerStart.bat file defaults to the parameters set in the settings.bat file as indicated by the below text:
@if NOT "%FTB_VERBOSE%"=="yes" (
@echo off
)
call settings.bat
and defines the max ram using this definition which matches up with the settings.bat file:
:startserver
echo Starting server
java -server -Xmx%MAX_RAM% -XX: PermSize=%PERMGEN_SIZE% %JAVA_PARAMETERS% -jar %FORGEJAR%
So why, when the settings.bat file has been updated with a max ram size of 8G, am I still showing that there's only 1% of available RAM free in the GUI when it's only using 512 MB? Any help is greatly appreciated and I'm sorry if this has been solved elsewhere - I tried searching for it. I'm still very new to this stuff and have zero experience with reading actual code so I may be misunderstanding something. Exact copies of my ServerStart.bat and settings.bat files are below:

ServerStart.bat - https://pastebin.com/avJCVPP7
Settings.bat - https://pastebin.com/EuK88G9R

Post update:
I've fixed the problem through a lot of Google searching and trial and error. I deleted my settings.bat file and made a new ServerStart.bat file with the text below. The additional Java parameters appear to be helping significantly, as there's next to no lag on the server now.

@Echo OFF
java -Xms2G -Xmx10G -XX:+AlwaysPreTouch -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=45 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -XX:G1NewSizePercent=50 -XX:G1MaxNewSizePercent=80 -XX:InitiatingHeapOccupancyPercent=10 -XX:G1MixedGCLiveThresholdPercent=50 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -jar -jar FTBserver-1.12.2-14.23.5.2838-universal.jar --nogui
pause

Last edited:

sh4d0w1ink920

Jul 4, 2020
Add the nogui back to the serverstart.bat-file and try again.

If you still have issues, post full log as well - use https://paste.feed-the-beast.com to share the log

Wound up fixing the problem myself. I removed the original ServerStart.bat and settings.bat files and made a new ServerStart.bat file that only included the below text:
java -Xmx8196M -Xms4096M -jar FTBserver-1.12.2-14.23.5.2838-universal.jar
The GUI now shows that I have much more RAM available, and my average tick rate is down from 30 ms to around 5 ms. I have random spikes here and there, but pretty uncommon. Overall the server is very playable so the problem seems to be (mostly) fixed.

I'm curious as to what you think adding back the "nogui" to the ServerStart.bat file would do, though. I was under the impression that all it did was add a more user-friendly display for the server data. Does it have another function that you think could be interfering with something? I could add it back and try it out, for science!

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
I am having the same problem, Does nobody have a solution?

It's not something "I think" - it's well documented and common knowledge when running Minecraft servers.

With vanilla the gui adds extra load on the server - with modded there's a big chance/risk that the server breaks and behaves badly.

I could add it back and try it out, for science!

Nice way to respond...

sh4d0w1ink920

Jul 4, 2020
It's not something "I think" - it's well documented and common knowledge when running Minecraft servers.

With vanilla the gui adds extra load on the server - with modded there's a big chance/risk that the server breaks and behaves badly.

Nice way to respond...

Lol. Certainly wasn't trying to offend you by asking what's apparently a simple question for folks as "enlightened" as yourself - I'm just trying to learn here. I spent a couple of hours trying to look into the problem myself, and the only answer I continuously came up with was to update the RAM reference within the setup batch file as I indicated in my initial post. So, your solution being "well documented" and "common knowledge" must have somehow eluded me the entire time. Crazy how that works. Appreciate such a pleasant response from a forum mod, no wonder the community here is so active!

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
There was nothing unpleasant about the way I responded to you - I stated facts based on what you posted.

I gave you a response to start troubleshoot your issue, first off is to restore the files to the original state - and I also suggest that you post full log if you still have issues, this being the next step in troubleshooting. (and it's still not "my solution" about the gui - it's there for a reason, there's been issues with that going back a long time - it's mentioned here: https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Setting_up_a_server - and you would surely find other sources using any search engine of choice, both covering vanilla, back-in-the-day bukkit based versions, and forge)

There's a lot of different explanations that can be done for the non use of all your maximum allocated memory, but starting to explaining that will not lead to anything - looking at a log usually helps out in those cases. (my initial thought was that it might have been a system wide variable on your OS + the fact that the original settings and serverstart-files does not contain any Xms - meaning that there's no minimum level of pre-allocation, so the process will allocate what it needs and then go up towards the Xmx value - also mind that the java process itself can also use additional memory, that's why you can see the process using more than the value you put in Xmx)

Instead you respond in a very passive aggressive way and insinuating that the answer I gave you is the wrong way to go, and when I call you out on that you keep on being rude and unpleasant - is there a reason for that?

This forum and community is very active - with that said, this forum have always been on the more slow side - this is not the random "spam-like-hell-with-crap-place". If you want more activity, there's discord (even there it's a more slow activity compared to other servers - this is not a bad thing, it's the way it is here).

sh4d0w1ink920

Jul 4, 2020
Well, I apologize if I misinterpreted your "tone" over the internet. It's a bit ironic that you'll label me as being passive aggressive based on your own interpretation of what I said, but in the same breath you won't acknowledge that I could have interpreted YOU the same way. My initial post indicated that I have zero experience with reading or interpreting code. Given that, I would think it a bit unreasonable for anyone to think that I was actually being combative or somehow "insinuating that the answer you (someone who obviously DOES have experience) gave me was the wrong way to go" with my response. I wasn't - I was just trying to follow your train of logic, because I'm uneducated on the subject and wanted to understand, because nothing I had come across in my own troubleshooting pointed to that as a potential problem. I apologize if my wording, to you, seems passive aggressive, but I assure you I was just trying to learn.

I will try running the server without the GUI and see if that helps. Things have seemed pretty stable once I was able to allocate more RAM, but it's still running around 5-10 MS and from what I've seen, ideal tick rate is 20 tps so we've obviously got some room to improve. Things especially pick up when someone goes into the Nether/Twilight, but I know that's normal (albeit maybe not to the same extent as we experience). Is there any way to monitor TPS once I remove the GUI? Unsure if there is a default Minecraft command, or if I'd need a separate mod to monitor.

In the meantime, I'm not sure what you mean by a "full log". If by that you just mean all of the info that my server is spitting out as it runs, I've uploaded that to the link below.

Edit: I updated my server startup file to be text below but it still opens up the GUI, which is a little confusing. TPS didn't seem to change but that would make sense if the GUI is still opening lol.

@Echo OFF
java -Xms4096M -Xmx8196M -jar FTBserver-1.12.2-14.23.5.2838-universal.jar --nogui
pause

Last edited: