Accelerated Server

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

NoYouCantHaveMyName

Jul 29, 2019
An interesting effect I've come across while hosting FTB servers on my desktop is a sort of "accelerated world" effect. I did a search (although not a good one) and didn't find anything about this, so I thought I'd share.

I know this effect happens with the FTB packs: Monster, Unleashed, and I believe Ultimate.
If you change the date and time on your system and set it backwards, it causes some weird things to happen to the server. Everything runs faster. Its like the tick rate goes from 20ticks/second to 60ticks/second. I'm not sure specifically what's going on, but that's the best I can explain it.
The client still moves around at the same speed and, for example, the jetpack still consumes energy at a normal speed, but everything else is faster. Quarries, macerators, furnaces, you name it, it's more than likely being.. "accelerated." It's a pretty cool effect. Night and Day go by quickly, mobs zip all around, and good luck outrunning a creeper.

I found this .. bug I guess it is.. a while ago while playing Sim City 4. Setting the date to December 25th makes it snow in the game, so I set my clock back. I happened to be hosting an FTB server at the time (likely Ultimate) and so when I finished SS4 and logged onto the server, I was confused. Took me a about a week to make the connection between my date and time changing and the acceleration.

I'll note that doing this does cause a bug in that the server can't.. stop properly. Typing the stop command will.. break things it seems. The worlds will all save, but the console won't close. In my time.. slightly.. abusing this, I found that just a save-all > stop > and Xing the window didn't (appear) to cause problems.

Anyway, just a fun little effect I thought I'd share.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
First time "server can't keep up, did system time change?" would be applicable, but is curiously not present.