A minecraft modding standard

TheAlteran

Jul 29, 2019
Not entirely sure where I should be placing this as it has nothing to do with the FTB Mod selection. Nor the third-party modding section as it is simply a concept which could be employed. So I've placed it in general.

Now for those that know of what a coding standard is I am well away that I am not using it correctly.

The Proposal

Due to the purchasing of Minecraft by Microsoft and the subsequent influx of base games updates which change the code at a fundamental level it appears to be exceedingly difficult for modders to perform updates at a speed which would allow for the update itself and innovation. As such my proposal is simply selecting a version of minecraft from on which modders could use as a base so that they may develop mods without the constant requirement from updating.

Potentially it would allow for an influx of new content from modders as the need for updates would be mute. Additionally it would also reduce the risk of coders burning themselves and subsequently leaving the minecraft modding.

It would also allow for new modders and older modders attempting to update their mods a flat-footing in which they aren't forced to pause mid-development and focus of updating - repeating this cycle add-infinitum in the case of certain modders. (Poor Freakstrich) This in turn could also be another reason for modders burning out.

I will state this is just the opinion of one derpy student of Games Development.

I hope others take the time to read this and I would love to hear your opinion on such a concept.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
There has already been a lot of discussion on this. Some of us want to settle on 1.8 at some point. Others do not

TheAlteran

Jul 29, 2019
Ah my apologies. I think I might have been looking through the forum with blinders on. What particular reasons for/against have emerged?

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Ah my apologies. I think I might have been looking through the forum with blinders on. What particular reasons for/against have emerged?
For:
  1. Stability
  2. Innovation
  3. Modders sanity
Against:
  1. Exposure to new members through vanilla MC
  2. Microsoft C&D'ing us

TheAlteran

Jul 29, 2019
Arguments against ... Against:

1. This fact is true. However as the same time if modders burn out one by one what exactly is left?
2. I'm not entirely sure how/why Microsoft would C&D us. We are using their software in the same manner as we have done in the past. It's merely a case that we have chosen to stick with a particular version of their product. I don't believe such an choice would result in a C&D order.

Last edited:

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I'll play devil's advocate as I am on neither side
  1. New Modders can be created from the players from vanilla
  2. We do not know what MS is planning to do

TheAlteran

Jul 29, 2019
1. True. However at the same time retaining the old modders and would allow for mods of increasing quality and depth. Whereas new modders would be forced to start from scratch and work their way up - whilst battling the update curve. However in the advent a coding standard was accepted we'd have the bet of both worlds with old modders remaining and a steady influx of new modders arriving.
2. True. But in terms of a legal stand-point I don't think it would be a violation of term of use. Additionally modding could provide an additional source of revenue for microsoft by bring in new individuals by the complexity and depth of mods like thaumcraft and the like.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
  1. Open-sourcing and handing off mods
  2. Very true. However, the modded community is small and makes almost no money for MS

TheAlteran

Jul 29, 2019
1. Some modders desire that their mods remain in their hands. Examples would be Redpower and such. A newer example would be Ars Magica 2 however the owner has additional reasons.
2. A good portion of new members come from watching youtube videos and from what I have examined a good number of popular youtubers employ mods to pad out content and make their videos more interesting.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
  1. Personally, I do not respect such people (AM2's author had a good reason though). For reasons I will not bring up here
  2. I can't argue against that

TheAlteran

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to apologise for using you as a proverbial punching bag...
1. I won't delve too far, but it is their proverbial baby and they may not desire to see it twisted and tampered with. A minecraft standard alleviates the issue by reducing the risk of burn-out. And in the event they chose to leave their baby is still the way they left it and ready for use in games.

Last edited:

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I would rather abandon my baby and leave it with someone than abandon it completely ;) Anyway, I don't want to delve further into the topic

TheAlteran

Jul 29, 2019
1. That is true and I'm not sure what to say to this as I don't know if it is possible to make optimizations outwith the original coding team. Otherwise the Forge team or similar group would be able to perform their own optimizations for the chosen version.

2. As for the second issue it could be as simple as choosing an earlier and more stable version - say we picked 1.7.10 (No idea if I got that right) a majority of mods are already or soon to be updated to this and mods that have recently been killed would be able to live on. (Ars Magica)