Open 2.1.0: Immersive Engineering Power Conversion Problems (expert)

Selway

Jul 29, 2019
Version:

What is the bug:
Actually its version 2.2.2. Infinity evolved expert mode but I saw no option for this.

Immersive engineering will not transfer power from a quantum solar panel or a MFSU (and probably some others as well.) I am using HV wire connectors and HV wire. Also Relays where necessary.

I am transferring power to and from other IC2 and advanced solar panels blocks just fine. So far, just the quantum solar panel and MFSU I have found dont work. I also noticed rednet cables do not appear to be working either on those same blocks.

Also, the config for immersive engineering says HV cables should be transferring 32k rf a tick but are only transferring 4k rf a tick in expert mode. Is this intended?

Thank you

Mod & Version:
Immersive Engineering, IC2, and Advanced Solar Panels

Paste.feed-the-beast.com log:

Can it be repeated:
Yes

Known Fix:

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
Workaround:
  • It seems that for whatever reason that MFSU's will not transfer to IE HV connector thing. No idea as to why. To get around this, output the MFSU into x4 MFE's, then use the HV/MV cable from their.
  1. MFSU -> x4 MFE
  2. Plug the MFE's into an HV Transformer
  3. Run your HV wire.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
This is the solution I arrived at as well, but didn't try it out yet. I plopped down my MFSU, filled it, and only then discovered that the HV connectors or relays don't work with it. :( Of course, when I pick up the MFSU it will lose 20% of its stored energy, and with an MFSU that's a LOT of power gone into thin air. I did get a tip to use a dolly, which might work okay, however I used that tip on an IC2 Nuclear Reactor filled with Heat Vents and stuff. Too lazy to take it all out. Dolly works, right? Wrong. Most of the stuff inside the nuke was gone when I place it in the new location and opened it up. So... the dolly is suspect, but clearly worth a try since the Electric Wrench is guaranteed to lose 8 million EU in the process. Oh IC2, you sticklers, you. LOL

EDIT: Dolly works perfectly on MFSU's with no power loss. Do NOT use Electric Wrench!

So I'm glad to see this solution will work, but I'm not glad that HV connectors don't work with MFSU's. Is it because of the power levels involved? I thought HV cables and connectors from Immersive can carry up to 32K RF/t? Is 2048 EU/t (from the MFSU) converted into more than 32K RF/t? Does anyone know what the exact math conversion is via Immersive cables from EU to RF and vice-versa? Is it EU/t * 4 = RF/t?

Last edited:

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
I thought HV cables and connectors from Immersive can carry up to 32K RF/t? Is 2048 EU/t (from the MFSU) converted into more than 32K RF/t? Does anyone know what the exact math conversion is via Immersive cables from EU to RF and vice-versa? Is it EU/t * 4 = RF/t?
Sorta;
  • 1 EU/t = 4 RF/t
  • 4 RF/t = 1 EU/t
The issue comes from the connector. It has a Max RF/t input/output of:
  • LV = 256
  • MV = 1024
  • HV = 4096
So when we follow the math of 4RF/t = 1EU/t, the we get
  • Input (EU) * Conversion Rate = Max transfer Rate
  • 8192 (EV-Transformer) * 4 = 32768 RF (Actual Max RF/t for HV Cables)
  • 2048 (MFSU) * 4 = 8192 RF (To high for the connectors)
  • 512 (MFE) * 4 = 2048 RF (Works with HV Connectors)
  • 128 (CESU) * 4 = 512 RF (I would use MV connectors at this point)
  • 32 (Bat Box) * 4 = 128 RF (This will be your LV connections)
So the most efficient transfer is MFE and HV connectors. Also, you can only put 16 MFE into a single trunk line before the line melts.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks Booker - so in other words, we cannot just lump all our EU power into one Immersive HV line, connect that line to our RF power network, and be done with it. LOL Why am I not surprised?

Seems like I redesign my power setup every single day, based on new information that keeps coming in and forcing me to revise everything. While it's frustrating, it's obv not so much that I just don't play. :) Back to it. Redesign # 17. Sigh.

Just had a new idea, before heading back into the game... I'll put 4 HV connectors on 4 sides of the Resonant Energy Cell and feed 2 MFE's into each connection. That's 512 EU/t per MFE, so two of them is 1024 EU/t which converts to 4096 RF/t - the max input/output for each HV connection.

Thanks for the data/numbers Booker!! Just what I needed. NO. MORE. REDESIGNS. (after this one). LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Booker The Geek

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
So I haven't tried it (I'm using Resonant Energy Cells and not Tesseracts), but I think this discussion closes the book on the "ultimate" setup for converting EU to RF in Infinity Evolved...

Place a Tesseract in the air so all 6 sides are accessible. On each side place an Immersive HV Connector. Place an HV Connector on 12 MFE's and attach 2 of them to each of the 6 HV connectors on the Tesseract.

Each side of the Tesseract will have 2 x 512 EU/t from the MFE's, which converts to 2x512x4=4096 RF/t at each connection. Total maximum conversion for each Tesseract = 6x4096= 24,576 RF/t

What I find interesting is that this output is exactly the same as the output of a maximum-sized 16x9x9 Big Reactor Turbine which is using 37 Enderium Blocks for the Coil. I think 32 Ludacrite blocks would give around 28K RF/t, slightly better.

So we now have two routes for generating this level of "big power", both the RF version in Big Reactors, but we can also make a "Tesseract/MFE flower" setup and theoretically get it that way too.

Compliments to Immersive Engineering for allowing us to convert RF to EU back and forth... because what that does is bring an under-utilized mod back into play for power generation (and hence, ore processing too). IC2 nuclear is an extremely viable way of generating power, as I've discovered thanks to this modpack. All we needed was a good conversion mod to bring the fading IC2 mod back into the spotlight. It belongs there, and maybe this will help re-vitalize the mod (and the IC2 exp team).

Last edited:
Reactions: Booker The Geek

cybermind

Jul 29, 2019
You can run a single glass fibre cable out of the MFSU and connect 2 HV connectors to it. Attach each to a separate point on a Capacitor Bank, Energy Cell, Fluxduct, etc.

Also note that (as far as IC2 is concerned) the IE connectors are only technically IC2 "IEnergySink"s meaning they can only naturally receive EU, not give it out. However, when the IE-net tells each connector it should output some power (due to power coming in on some other connection), the connector checks to see if it is attached to another block which happens to also be an "IEnergySink." If it is (MFE, MFSU, most other IC2 machines except the Electric Kinetic Generator), it will manually inject power into it. This is why you can't run an IE cable from an RF source and attach it to an IC2 cable to power IC2 machines. You have to run the connector right into a machine/battery of some kind.

In the RF world, the IE connectors are "IEnergyHandler"s meaning they can both receive and provide RF naturally.

Another good way to convert Quantum Solar Panels specifically to RF is to use the Extra Utilities Transfer Node (Energy). Each one can handle 2 Quantums connected to it. The big issue with the ExU energy nodes/pipes is that they don't seem to connect very well to Thermal Expansion machines/fluxducts. They will, however, connect fine right into an "Input" face of an EnderIO Capacitor Bank (which can then output to Thermal Expansion pipes if necessary). Finally, note that the ExU energy nodes don't seem to work as well with any of the Advanced Solar Panels below Quantum. For Ultimate Hybrids, you need to have 2 Transfer Node (Hyper Energy)s for each 1 Ultimate Hybrid.

Last edited:
C

codewarrior0

I recommend HV/EV-Transformers over MFE/MFSU. Not only are they cheaper, but the IE HV cable connectors will connect to all sides and the EV-Transformer's extreme output can fully load or unload power to/from five HV cable connectors.

Reactions: asb3pe