1 FPS, no modpack works and I have a new computer

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.
T

tomtheawesome

Title:
1 FPS, no modpack works and I have a new computer
Launcher Version:
Modpack:
All
Modpack Version:
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
So forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place but it's my first post. Anyways, I just got a new computer with the specs as follows:

12GB ram
AMD A10 quad core processor and Radeon R6 graphics

No matter what modpack i open up, the frames drop to 1-2fps making the game unplayable. I've tried several modpacks and it's the same. My old macbook which was dual core and had 4gb ram played the modpacks way better than my new laptop so I really don't know what the problem could be. Thanks to anyone who can help, it is really appreciated.

AuricPolaris

Jul 29, 2019
When you say "No Modpack Works" what do you mean? Ensure you have the FTB folder on the C (or D) drive directly. Are you allowing Java to use your GPU? What Java version do you have?

T

tomtheawesome

When you say "No Modpack Works" what do you mean? Ensure you have the FTB folder on the C (or D) drive directly. Are you allowing Java to use your GPU? What Java version do you have?

when I say no modpacks work, I mean that they are all unplayable. I have tried Regrowth, Horizons, and Infinity and all of them have the same FPS issues. I have it installed on the c drive. I don't have a dedicated gpu in my laptop it's integrated with the cpu so i don't know if i can do anything with the java to allow it to use the graphics i have on that? My java version is 1.8.0_73. Also my operating system is windows 10 64 bit so i don't know if that will help with anything.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
when I say no modpacks work, I mean that they are all unplayable. I have tried Regrowth, Horizons, and Infinity and all of them have the same FPS issues. I have it installed on the c drive. I don't have a dedicated gpu in my laptop it's integrated with the cpu so i don't know if i can do anything with the java to allow it to use the graphics i have on that? My java version is 1.8.0_73. Also my operating system is windows 10 64 bit so i don't know if that will help with anything.
You need to install 64bit Java, or else the game can only make use of 1GB of RAM. And since you are picking rather large packs it is most likely choking under that, causing very poor performance.
Install the 64bit version and then set the RAM slider in the launchers options to 2.5-3GB.

Minecraft is almost all about the CPU, and at a glance you seem to have a decent one at that. But laptop + integrated GPU is never ever going to give you the same performance as a desktop and dedicated GPU.

T

tomtheawesome

You need to install 64bit Java, or else the game can only make use of 1GB of RAM. And since you are picking rather large packs it is most likely choking under that, causing very poor performance.
Install the 64bit version and then set the RAM slider in the launchers options to 2.5-3GB.

Minecraft is almost all about the CPU, and at a glance you seem to have a decent one at that. But laptop + integrated GPU is never ever going to give you the same performance as a desktop and dedicated GPU.

I do have 64bit java, i made sure to get it but I can double check that and maybe to a fresh install of it. And I know a desktop and dedicated gpu is the best to have but on my 5 year old macbook pro which is 1/3 the specs in many regards to my new pc, it plays minecraft way better than my new laptop so i'm just puzzled.