[1.8][1.7.10] Utility Worlds 1.0.5 - Player-created mining and void dimensions

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Previously called Mining Worlds, the mod now also adds a Void Portal and has been renamed Utility Worlds.

Downloads and recipes here.

Caution: This mod is not compatible with Mining Worlds, it's a new mod.

This mod adds two portals (blocks) that can be crafted, the Mining Portal and the Void Portal.
  • To use a portal, simply craft it and place it in the world, then right-click it. This will teleport the player to a new dimension, one separate for each crafted portal.
  • At the location where the player arrives in the new dimension, a return portal is placed which can be used immediately.
  • The portal blocks can be picked up and moved within the dimensions they are initially activated.
Mining World characteristics
  • Completely flat.
  • Sun locked at zenith.
  • No caves, water or lava. Note that other mods may override this behavior, there is no attempt to prevent this.
  • Five layers of flat bedrock.
  • Ore generation and mob spawning as in Extreme Hills.
Void World characteristics
  • Sun locked at zenith.
  • Black sky without stars.
  • Considered a plains biome.
  • 9 x 9 stone platform where the player arrives.
The Mining Worlds versions are abandoned at this point.

Changelog:
- Added Void Portal and renamed mod to Utility Worlds.
- Not backwards compatible with Mining Worlds.
- Ported to Minecraft 1.8 (Forge 11.14.1.1134)
- Fixed crash with AE2 rv2-alpha API call.
- First version for 1.7.10.

Attachments

• miningworlds-1.6.4-0.8.4.zip
    28.9 KB · Views: 112
  • MiningWorlds-1.7.10-0.9.7.zip
    27.3 KB · Views: 151
  • MiningWorlds-1.8_1.0.3.zip
    34.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Seems like a great mod! Just a few questions-
1. Does each portal make a new dimension?
2. I know you mentioned this in the OP, but Linking Books?
3. What's your policy on modpacks?
4. Are caves generated?
5. Is Lava generated?

Anyway, seems like an excellent mod, and I'd be happy to play with it. Seems like something I would use quite frequently.

Reactions: Blorph

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
I've created a small mod which adds a single block, "Mining Portal". Using the portal, the player is teleported to a new dimension suitable for automated mining. In that dimension, a portal block for returning to the overworld is automatically created.

Mining Portal recipe:
Either portal (overworld or mining world) can be picked up and moved, the corresponding portal (on the other side) will update accordingly.

The created worlds are all identical (tree placement etc. is seed controlled), with the following properties:
  • Completely flat.
  • Sun locked at zenith.
  • No weather.
  • Ore generation as in Extreme Hills (custom ores from most mods should appear).
  • Flat bedrock, 3 layers which can be mined with Rotary Craft.
The block is using item ID 795, which should be free when using Monster etc.

Feel free to use this mod as you see fit, it's not open source at the moment. I might release it once I've done a 1.7.2 clean-up / rewrite if anyone is interested.

I appreciate the time, effort and energy you seem to have invested into the mod. But did you know there is already a mod called Aroma1997's dimensional world for 1.6 and 1.7, that pretty much does and behaves exactly what you explained above? There is also an expensive portal recipe, that is.

I'll be clear. I am not accusing you of plagiarism right now. I am merely giving you some information that you may not be already aware of. It might be coincidence. Maybe you did this internally as a learning platform. I am making you aware of this info early on, that people who already use aroma's mod won't use yours, as his mod is been around for much longer, therefore very well known, well maintained, and he has many other mods too that is part of other FTB mod packs. Sooner or later someone is going to start asking why do an exact similar thing once again.

Very recent mod spotlight of aroma's dimensional world:

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Seems like a great mod! Just a few questions-
1. Does each portal make a new dimension?
2. I know you mentioned this in the OP, but Linking Books?
3. What's your policy on modpacks?
4. Are caves generated?
5. Is Lava generated?

Anyway, seems like an excellent mod, and I'd be happy to play with it. Seems like something I would use quite frequently.
Thanks! Here are some answers:

1. Yes.
2. I need to enhance the portion of the code which makes clients aware of which dimensions exists. This won't be done for 1.6.4 most likely.
3. Use freely.
4. No caves.
5. No lava (and no water). In other words, not good for getting obsidian.[DOUBLEPOST=1398237495][/DOUBLEPOST]
I appreciate the time, effort and energy you seem to have invested into the mod. But did you know there is already a mod called Aroma1997's dimensional world for 1.6 and 1.7, that pretty much does and behaves exactly what you explained above? There is also an expensive portal recipe, that is.

I'll be clear. I am not accusing you of plagiarism right now. I am merely giving you some information that you may not be already aware of. It might be coincidence. Maybe you did this internally as a learning platform. I am making you aware of this info early on, that people who already use aroma's mod won't use yours, as his mod is been around for much longer, therefore very well known, well maintained, and he has many other mods too that is part of other FTB mod packs. Sooner or later someone is going to start asking why do an exact similar thing once again.
Thanks for the heads up. Just as you say, it was mostly a learning experience for me, as well as a workaround for what I perceived as limitations in recent versions of Mystcraft.

I knew there was another similar mod (though not the one you linked), but which used multiblock structure portals and the generated worlds were not completely flat and had lava. I'll be sure to watch this spotlight this evening!

Edit: I think it actually was this mod (or a very similar one) I saw some time ago, it might have had a different name back then. I think I'll stick to using my mod since it doesn't add worldgen (and I spent time creating it). :)

Last edited:

Sp4rky_Bl0x

Jul 29, 2019
I can see why people would bring up Aroma's mod, however I agree with your point, I dislike worldgen in general especially when there's not a config to stop it, because it either prevents the player from adding a new mod to an old world or forces them to go out and generate new chunks. So I think I'll stick with your mod too :)

Reactions: trajing

TheCupcakeisaLie

Jul 29, 2019
Hopefully i wont see TiC slime islands -_- great mod though, the recipie is really cheap for a no lava dimension, use diamond blocks?

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Hopefully i wont see TiC slime islands -_- great mod though, the recipie is really cheap for a no lava dimension, use diamond blocks?
Not sure about the slime islands actually, I don't think they are there. I usually have them disabled.

The idea with the recipe cost, is that it should be reasonably affordable once you have automated mining (e.g. quarry), even it it's somewhat rushed. I might be missing some benefit with having no lava, why should the cost be that high because of that? You can basically handle the lava in any overworld quarry with a single bucket of water.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks! Here are some answers:

Thanks for the heads up. Just as you say, it was mostly a learning experience for me, as well as a workaround for what I perceived as limitations in recent versions of Mystcraft.

I knew there was another similar mod (though not the one you linked), but which used multiblock structure portals and the generated worlds were not completely flat and had lava. I'll be sure to watch this spotlight this evening!

Edit: I think it actually was this mod (or a very similar one) I saw some time ago, it might have had a different name back then. I think I'll stick to using my mod since it doesn't add worldgen (and I spent time creating it). :)

I am going to add replies to multiple points in this one reply:

If you put it out for public consumption, the comparison to Aroma's mod will happen at a fairly regular basis. If you can live with it, well, that's that.

Technically, You are doing worldgen as well. You are simply using the Vanilla extreme hills algorithm to do so, am I right? It still counts as worldgen, no? Besides, when playing with mod packs, adding support for mod ores is going to serve you well, so stay open to that possibility - specially on servers where mid-server entrants find that all the low-hanging fruit is taken!

Aroma's mod is extremely configurable and every options that gets amention is configurable.
turn off lava,
turn off water,
mime the overworld ore gens (vniall and mods, I think. check again)
mobs on-off
passive mobs on-off
trees on-off
etc.. etc...

In my view, if you wish to improve your own mod for your own purpose, that is a good mod to play with and get inspired from.

Nothing else original to add on this thred. Good luck.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Technically, You are doing worldgen as well. You are simply using the Vanilla extreme hills algorithm to do so, am I right? It still counts as worldgen, no? Besides, when playing with mod packs, adding support for mod ores is going to serve you well, so stay open to that possibility - specially on servers where mid-server entrants find that all the low-hanging fruit is taken!

Thanks for your input. What I meant was that the worldgen in the overworld, or any other dimension other than the actual mining worlds, are not affected by the mod. You don't have to generate new chunks to find materials to be able to use the mod, if you add it to an old world.

There is already support for ores from other mods. To be more clear, I should perhaps have said that the ore generation is exactly (or should be) like in an Extreme Hills biome you would find in the modded world you are playing.

TheCupcakeisaLie

Jul 29, 2019
There is already support for ores from other mods. To be more clear, I should perhaps have said that the ore generation is exactly (or should be) like in an Extreme Hills biome you would find in the modded world you are playing.
if its an extreme hills biome, maybe make it require an emerald? I know I have spent a good long time looking for an extreme hills biome and that would be a pretty easy way to shortcut that. Just IMO.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
if its an extreme hills biome, maybe make it require an emerald? I know I have spent a good long time looking for an extreme hills biome and that would be a pretty easy way to shortcut that. Just IMO.
That would be something I would immediately use MineTweaker to change. Getting emeralds is annoying in ATG.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for your input. What I meant was that the worldgen in the overworld, or any other dimension other than the actual mining worlds, are not affected by the mod. You don't have to generate new chunks to find materials to be able to use the mod, if you add it to an old world.

Good that you've already added modded ore support. Ready for "out of box" usage. :)

I think you are talking about ore retrogen issues that overworld interaction mods suffer from. Obviously this is not an issue for separate dimensions. All mod created new dimensions are created "fresh" for the first player. Subsequent players spawn in the same dimension/world, but in different spawn points - and their chunks are theirs to explore ;). At least this is my understanding (cf., nether).

So, basically, your mod behaves as a good new dimension mod should ;)

P.S: Is your moniker inspired by the flash gordon character?

TheCupcakeisaLie

Jul 29, 2019
That would be something I would immediately use MineTweaker to change. Getting emeralds is annoying in ATG.
Ah, I hadnt accounted for biome mods, I dont use any in my pack, but I remember how impossible it is to get emeralds with those mods.

lavieen

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, I went into the dimension, set up a quarry, and then my game crashed when I tried to get back. When i got back on, I was still in the dimension. I couldn't get back till I gave myself a portal from another mod. Please help!!!:(:(

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
I appreciate the time, effort and energy you seem to have invested into the mod. But did you know there is already a mod called Aroma1997's dimensional world for 1.6 and 1.7, that pretty much does and behaves exactly what you explained above?

I dont see why its a problem that a new mod does the same? Then you mean that there cant be made a mod that makes a furnace using power because Thermal Expansion is doing that?

Reactions: sivina

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Hey, I went into the dimension, set up a quarry, and then my game crashed when I tried to get back. When i got back on, I was still in the dimension. I couldn't get back till I gave myself a portal from another mod. Please help!!!:(:(
Unfortunately I don't think this problem is solvable without using world edit. The NBT data of the portal block tile entity seems to have been corrupted.

Did you place down the portal block in a dimension other than the overworld?

As a quick "solution", I guess you could cheat in a new portal block and place it down in the overworld.

Reactions: lavieen

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
I dont see why its a problem that a new mod does the same? Then you mean that there cant be made a mod that makes a furnace using power because Thermal Expansion is doing that?
I don't know why you get the impression that I found it as a problem. I am simply making him aware. If you kept reading the rest of the discussion, it will be clear.