1.5.2 solar farm area

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

tonic316

Jul 29, 2019
Just thought I would post this for people using 1.5.2. If you enable biomes o' plenty you can get to an area called The Promised land. It is always daylight there which is perfect for solar farms (ultimate solar panels stacked to 16 per matter fab) to get lots of uu matter when using the gregtech matter fabricator. And it doesn't require you to mess around with mystcraft to get an always day world :).

To get to the promised land just search ancient staff in your NEI. You make that item and then right click with the staff and it spawns the area above you to enter the promised land.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
Nice. Also, BoP adds hot springs with special water that is great for AFKing in

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
But they are practical for generating large amounts of power. And a lot safer than other ways of generating lots of power.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
But they are practical for generating large amounts of power. And a lot safer than other ways of generating lots of power.

well, they are practical because other sources are simply impractical. and this fact makes me really sad about it.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
i`m not trying to be rude, but IC2 solar farms are boring and lame.
People have different play styles. Not everyone cares about being novel with energy generation.

For example, building a fusion reactor in a cave with dirt and gravel still on the floor seems like insanity to some people. They shouldn't harshly judge the technical person's choice of function over form. Likewise people shouldn't be judged for wanting "fire & forget" energy so that they can go exploring, using magic, or building houses & castles. ;)

These options are in the game for that reason. To give options.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
People have different play styles. Not everyone cares about being novel with energy generation.

For example, building a fusion reactor in a cave with dirt and gravel still on the floor seems like insanity to some people. They shouldn't harshly judge the technical person's choice of function over form. Likewise people shouldn't be judged for wanting "fire & forget" energy si that they can go exploring, using magic, or building houses & castles. ;)
i see your point, but it really makes me sad about IC2 power gen, when the most efficient power gen is "fire one block and forget ". it`s simply yells for bad design.

i dont mind "fire and forget" setups, in fact - i use em myself, but setups i`m using require some knowledge of automation.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah well IC2 has been stagnant in design for a while. I guess there's no motivation to innovate or improve

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
i`m not trying to be rude, but IC2 solar farms are boring and lame.

And your opinion is important because....?

I'm not trying to be rude, but people wasting their real life time to build unnecessarily complex systems over a game are boring and lame.

/s

Play how you like. I'm not trying to be rude, but I really can't and don't give a flying sheep whether you like solar panels or not.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
And your opinion is important because....?

I'm not trying to be rude, but people wasting their real life time to build unnecessarily complex systems over a game are boring and lame.

/s

Play how you like. I'm not trying to be rude, but I really can't and don't give a flying sheep whether you like solar panels or not.
i understand you opinion, and appreciate it, however IC2 solars are on par with quantum generator in terms of complexity.
its simply something you cannot ignore.

giesergast

Jul 29, 2019
i understand you opinion, and appreciate it, however IC2 solars are on par with quantum generator in terms of complexity.
its simply something you cannot ignore.

not trying to be mean but please stop turning every threat that contains the world "solar" in to a flame threat

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
not trying to be mean but please stop turning every threat that contains the world "solar" in to a flame threat
i can hate me and call me with bad words, but i dont think you can deny the fact that ic2 solars are very simple yet the most efficient way of EU generation. which is really a shame for ic2 design.

giesergast

Jul 29, 2019
i can hate me and call me with bad words, but i dont think you can deny the fact that ic2 solars are very simple yet the most efficient way of EU generation. which is really a shame for ic2 design.

i totally agree with you we alredy had this discusion on another threat and a few other ones its totally true and its fine if you say it on threats that are meant for it but please please stop doing it on every single one

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
i totally agree with you we alredy had this discusion on another threat and a few other ones its totally true and its fine if you say it on threats that are meant for it but please please stop doing it on every single one
ok. i have no problems with leaving this thread.
but you should really understand difference between "threat" and "thread". it will help you :)

giesergast

Jul 29, 2019
ok. i have no problems with leaving this thread.
but you should really understand difference between "threat" and "thread". it will help you :)

sorry that makes it mean something else doesnt it but i did not mean you have to leave the threat uuhm.. trhead no wait thread yesssss :) just dont flame on the solars enough plaes to do that :)

tonic316

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I made first mystcraft age and it's eternal day and no weather.

Nice :D. Wait a bit before using it to make sure its stable.

@the rest of the replies

What did I start :(

Fusion reactor is interesting game play I would say but it requires a crap ton of iridium to get going before you can do it so its either this or bees to get your iridium. Bee's are actually pretty crazy in how quick you can get iridium but it takes a lot of work to get to that level.

Necr0maNceR

Jul 29, 2019
The problem isn't with the basic IC2 solar panels. Those make hardly any energy, and require a massive field of them if you want to generate a significant amount of power. The issue is the solar panels from the various addons, where a single block can generate hundreds of eu per tick without any additional setup or maintenance.

You see, it's all about the economy of space. Even if an ultimate hybrid solar panel costs as much or more than what it would take to make enough plain solar panels to generate that much eu per tick, the ultimate hybrid solar panel only takes one block an a couple of wires to use, causing all other forms of eu generation to be obsolete, because they just can't compare. If you were to make enough plain solar panels to make that much energy, it would require a massive area and tons of wiring, including a lot of transformers. You would need more than 512 solar panels, so you can make up for energy loss over distance and the fact that ultimate hybrid solar panels generate some eu at night as well (unless you're already operating in an eternal day age/dimension). All that space and wiring only accounts for the equivalent of one ultimate hybrid solar panel, though. If you are using more than 1, then you will have to multiply the space all the basic solar panels would take up by that amount.

That may be a lot of space, but not only is it a fair drawback for free easy power, but it's a realistic one as well. I once heard that even if you covered all the land on earth with solar panels, it would only generate enough electricity to meet 1/3 of the world's needs (whoops, way wrong). Now, I heard that a long time ago, and obviously solar panels continue to be developed to be more efficient as time goes on. Even then, there is an upper limit on how much power they can produce. The sun only produces a certain amount of energy per square meter. Even if solar panels became 100% efficient, they can't produce more energy than the sun is giving them. Thus, there is a limit on how much energy can be gotten from sunlight. I'm pretty sure the amount of sunlight that hits a square meter of earth every 1/20 of a second, even on the sunniest of days, doesn't come close to making the amount of power it would take to accomplish the work of 512 eu per tick.