1.0.1: Massive framerate dropping and load stuttering

Luminus

Jul 29, 2019
Version:

What is the bug:
As the title says. I've fixed it on my side, but I figured I might as well bring it to the team's attention, in case they can replicate it and find the issue, or pass the issue on to the dev of the mod causing the issue.

Mod & Version:
Journeymap

Paste.feed-the-beast.com log:

Can it be repeated:
Every single time I load up the game client!

Known Fix:
Easy. I removed Journeymap. Now I'm not stuttering for 5-10 seconds whenever I move forward after being ingame for 10 minutes or more. I had the same issue with the Unstable pack. I don't know if it's because Joruneymap writes a lot of files and my drive is just a fragment clutter, or whatever the case may be, but I'm posting this in case someone else has the same problem because maybe what worked for me works for them too.

Darks_Anthro

Jul 29, 2019
Yea Luminus. After disabling Journey Maps. I haven't had an issue where my fps would drop to one to six fps but not having a minimap kind of stinks. Think Direwolf will bring back Zan's or at least Voxel mini map mods?

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
So far to get rid of the lag i have disabled all mob tracking on Journey Maps and turned down my graphics some (low end pc) and that has seemed to help a great deal. I will have to look into the other map options to see if I can find a less lag filled version (again.. on a low end pc). Also adding Fastcraft seems to have helped me as well.

nl37tgt

Jul 29, 2019
for whatever reason, even with the mob trackers off, journeymap seems to be the cause of a lot of performance problems on my end as well. digging for alternatives that don't break stuff.

nl37tgt

Jul 29, 2019
i tried that before i completely disabled journeymap from the pack. even with the browser map disabled, it seems to be the main issue behind performance drops.

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
There are issues with the fps drops in the pack and seems, at least for me, to happen when I have been playing for some time.

nl37tgt

Jul 29, 2019
i ended up installing fastcraft and then optifine to reduce performance loss over time. i get 45-60 fps pretty stable now, my computer is showing it's age. i also switched from journeymap to opis. opis works well enough for a minimap.

Luminus

Jul 29, 2019
F7 has always lowered fps, though. I dropped Liteloader and Zan's Minimap into the pack, now I only run into issues when I switch worlds around (creative flat world for testing machine interaction back to survival world, for example, drops me to 5-10fps period) or when I've been playing for 3+ hours. From what I've read from other posts on the forums here, I could ease that by updating to Java8 (something I was holding back on 'cause I was still playing pre-fix 1.6.4 packs).

For the curious:
Core i5 3450 @ 3.5GHz
16GB DDR3 1333, 6GB allocated to the pack with permsize 256 (does higher permsize make a difference? I have ram to spare and don't really understand Java, don't know what permsize even does, so if telling the game to use more of it will solve this issue and let me start streaming again, yay)
eVGA GeForce GTX 670, 1154MHz at full tilt

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
F7 has always lowered fps, though. I dropped Liteloader and Zan's Minimap into the pack, now I only run into issues when I switch worlds around (creative flat world for testing machine interaction back to survival world, for example, drops me to 5-10fps period) or when I've been playing for 3+ hours. From what I've read from other posts on the forums here, I could ease that by updating to Java8 (something I was holding back on 'cause I was still playing pre-fix 1.6.4 packs).

For the curious:
Core i5 3450 @ 3.5GHz
16GB DDR3 1333, 6GB allocated to the pack with permsize 256 (does higher permsize make a difference? I have ram to spare and don't really understand Java, don't know what permsize even does, so if telling the game to use more of it will solve this issue and let me start streaming again, yay)
eVGA GeForce GTX 670, 1154MHz at full tilt

If you use the beta launcher you will be able to run the 1.6 packs with java 8. Also don't allocate that amount of ram. You only need 3 to 4gb max as java does not use ram very well. I have mine set at 3gb.

Unata

Jul 29, 2019
Agree with Luminus, no clue about java, read the forums (any MC forum) for lag issues in minecraft and you get a mess of message with all sorts of "java arguments", I've no idea what permsize or maxpermsize or any of them do either, trying a few is a hit and miss thing and seeing some of them is jaw dropping, rows and rows of arguments(?).

Really? I really need these to have my minecraft run somewhat smoothly? I need a programming degree to understand how to start minecraft? does it really have to be this way? my machine should have no problem running the game or two, can run EQ2 and Warcraft at the same time.

B0LTS

Jul 29, 2019
From what I've been told of Java, everything you're doing in Java is like trying to emulate a computer. So if you're running a modpack with 100 mods in it, you can't really compare that to running two programs, you would have to compare that to running 100 programs at the same time, because that's what you're doing.