Compact automated crafting with AE? CC / AE integration?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The problem is this: I have an oreberry farm which produces significant amounts of metal. The ME network has no problem automatically smelting those into nuggets - I just send them all to the same machine with an export bus. However, now I want to auto-craft those into ingots. There are several ways to do this. I could use Factorization packagers, or TE cyclic assemblers, but the problem is I would need one machine per item, since cyclic assemblers only accept one recipe at a time and I can't send fully automated crafting requests to the ME network, I can only export unconditionally, so that the packagers would get stuck with having less than nine nuggets of a metal, blocking processing of other metals until the 9 for the next ingot of the current one are present.

Is there any way to do this in a reasonably compact way?

As I see it, the problem is that AE really doesn't do conditional automated crafting well, as evidenced by the extreme lengths you need to go to get a supply or "keep X of Y in store at all times" functionality implemented. So I've looked at a possible integration with ComputerCraft. There appear to have been several attempts to create CC peripheral functions for AE, but they all appear to be outdated, i.e. two years old and made for MC 1.5 or suchlike. Does anyone know the current state of things, as in what I'd need to add to my modpack to let me send programmed crafting requests to the ME network?

Oh, and this is the DW20 modpack, version 1.0.23 for MC 1.6.4

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I did say I wanted compact, right? I could just use four cyclic assemblers for the four metals I'm farming, that would not be too bad, but I'm spoiled by AE's ability to do several things with one machine when requesting things, and I'm looking for something similar when I'm processing.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
use the MAC which can do a lot of patterns in a 3x3x3 multiblock, you can make it larger for more patterns per provider or speed per CPU

to auto craft these into ingots use a precision export set to craft only to export the ingots to an interface

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
use the MAC which can do a lot of patterns in a 3x3x3 multiblock, you can make it larger for more patterns per provider or speed per CPU
I have a reasonably powerful MAC already (4x4x5 with 8 crafting CPUs and 4 pattern providers). The problem is that I can't tell it to automatically craft all nuggets that come in into ingots. Or can I?

@pderuiter:
There is no way to tell the export bus to export only 9 at a time. Well, I guess I could use a complicated setup with Project Red circuits, but that's not exactly compact either.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
I have a reasonably powerful MAC already (4x4x5 with 8 crafting CPUs and 4 pattern providers). The problem is that I can't tell it to automatically craft all nuggets that come in into ingots. Or can I?

@pderuiter:
There is no way to tell the export bus to export only 9 at a time. Well, I guess I could use a complicated setup with Project Red circuits, but that's not exactly compact either.

edit: what ratchet said!

Point an export bus set to "always craft" into an interface.

That should always keep an order for 1 of each ingot in the MAC.

I dont like the solution because it feels like im mis-using the MAC, but it can be done.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Since those crafting bugs come up now and then I'm a bit reluctant to do my crafting conversions with the MAC. I use a storage bus on a chest to deposit all source material and auto-craft it with SFM into an interface. Pretty compact as well =)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
BC Autocrafting Tables. Plop down an ME Interface, and set it to export nuggets. TE Itemducts pull out nuggets, and dump them into the right tables. Then pull out ingots on the bottom, and then pipe into the interface. As compact as you can get without continually jamming up your MAC.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I've been using the Factorization packager for something like this in the past. The problem is that with high traffic, occasionally the supply requests interact with items traveling the system in such a way that items are added or lost, which means that a packager set to process several different items gets jammed up with an incomplete set of source material and can't process others until the jam is removed. That way, I've had my old storage system overflowing with cobblestone that couldn't be compressed several times.

Anyway, ComputerCraft and OpenPeripherals comes to the rescue. I can now implement a logic like "If you have more than 500 copper nuggets, craft 50 copper ingots from 450 nuggets. Go to sleep for five minutes and repeat". Negligible CPU time, and my MAC won't be continually occupied by one-item crafting requests.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
There are not that many different types of metals you get from oreberries are there? I just set up 5 packagers at my farm and everything's working.