Little advice for a noob

D

Derfelcadarn

Hi been looking at starting play modded minecraft and I was looking for some advice what pack to start with I'm not really into pvp games I'm into more exploration etc

Reactions: ICountFrom0

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
I would advice starting out with a "kitchen-sink" pack that doesn't customize the mods to much. The Direwolf20 packs are perfect for this. Not only are they specifically designed for Newbies to just play around in, but you can play along with Direwolf20's lets play series on YouTube to help you get started.

Due to the nature of this pack, (Packs such as Direwolf20's don't have an intended way to play.) you can easily add or remove mods, or change configs yourself without messing up the pack.

And (at the date of posting) I would also advise going for the minecraft 1.7.10 version. Since it is stable has a lot of different, and completed mods and won't be changing anymore because most developers have moved their experimenting and modding to 1.10.2 and 1.11.2.

Once you get the hang out of some of the more commonly used mods, You probably want to try a modpack that is focused on a specific vision of the pack creator. For example: Regrowth, or Infinity Evolved Skyblock. These modpacks alter the minecraft experience in a very specific way, the pack creators made extensive changes to crafting recipes and terrain generation.
Though due to the nature of these kind of packs, you probably want to emerge yourself in the intended way to play the pack. Changing mods and configs in such a pack can lead to breaking the pack.

H

Hurst_Quayzar

I would advice starting out with a "kitchen-sink" pack that doesn't customize the mods to much. The Direwolf20 packs are perfect for this. Not only are they specifically designed for Newbies to just play around in, but you can play along with Direwolf20's lets play series on YouTube to help you get started.

Couldn't agree more. This is the route I took as well.