Modular Powersuits out of fashion?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Now that I've been using MPS, I about can't play the game without it. The movement boosts are just so freaking nice and I don't have to spend hardly any time at all running from place to place. I also have an easier time building using the MPS jetpack than I do with the IC jetpack.

I kind of want the ore scanner removed from MPSA though. It reminds me too much of the Divining Rod......
I have insane movement boost via TC4\TT, Thaumostatic harness with Haste III gives the fastest flight (other than a stripped down speed demon MPS) I have had, TT Ascent Boost on the legs gives an insane jump ability when combined with Boots of the Traveler (I'm talking 10-15 blocks height easily it may be closer to 20), Haste III\Slow Fall on the boots gives an very very nice combo with the ascent boost as well as fairly reasonable run speed, the trade off compared to a full powered MPS suit is that you are very definitely not invulnerable and the recharge cost of a jar of essentia can catch you out at times.

Reactions: RedBoss

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
My favorite thing about MPS is the ability to make the armor look custom or invisible. I played on a 1.4.7 DW20 server and it felt so generic seeing 3 or more people together in grab suits. Almost like MC Stormtroopers. But with mps you can change colors and widgets and make your suit stand out a bit. That part was really cool.

Making the suit invisible is even better. I worked pretty hard on my avatar skin and I like to see it not shrouded in armor. (I still need to work on the ears though.) being able to still have armor and see my avatar is the best.

Reactions: YX33A and Museli

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
My favorite thing about MPS is the ability to make the armor look custom or invisible. I played on a 1.4.7 DW20 server and it felt so generic seeing 3 or more people together in grab suits. Almost like MC Stormtroopers. But with mps you can change colors and widgets and make your suit stand out a bit. That part was really cool.

Making the suit invisible is even better. I worked pretty hard on my avatar skin and I like to see it not shrouded in armor. (I still need to work on the ears though.) being able to still have armor and see my avatar is the best.
I loved that about MPS suits as well; you can customize them. I tended to strip them down to basically decorative bits. Then add glow to them.
Without MPSA, recharging is not super easy(hardly a bad thing), but still, as a Mage, a suit of armor that protects against physical damage only gets you so far. If I could find a way to "socket" in a magic resist enchanted book from AM2, I wouldn't feel so exposed wearing a suit of armor that grants me protection against pretty much everything until my power runs out.

..That gives me an idea, off to suggest a bit deeper compatibility between Dartcraft and AM2.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
MPSs flight physics is, well, stupid.
The IC2 jetpack is almost unique in having a realistic flight model thats actually fun.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
What did MPSA bring to the table that's so important? I use MPS and don't feel like anything's lacking - except for perhaps a working magnet module.

Regarding the suit itself being "too good".. I definitely agree that no matter what you make it cost, once its done it will overshadow everything else. However... my solution to that is to MASSIVELY increase its energy consumption. Like 100x more. This would make the suit impractical until the late game, giving incentive for other armor options prior to that time.

Im using the gregtech recipes and reducing the armor point value of each piece from 6 to 5.5. havent tested it yet though. In 1.5 i thought hte power draw was ok for everything except flight. Using the suit to mine or chop trees you could actually see the power meter go down... not with flight. You could fly 500 blocks and not even see a change. I was thinking of just making the jetpack cost a lot more power. With the reduced armor values and gregtech recipes i figured if i make the whole suit you spent a lot of resources, you get flight but not invulnerable armor, and huge power draw on jetpack means i wont be going afk at y-100 to go make dinner anymore. :)

Did you increase power draw of all the functions then?

If I could not make these changes (gregtech recipes being the biggest) id have removed this mod. As one guy I read put it, its the "Right Click to Minecraft" suit. Just TOO good.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
MPSs flight physics is, well, stupid.
The IC2 jetpack is almost unique in having a realistic flight model thats actually fun.
As mentioned, without flight control MPS works exactly like IC2 jetpack.

I agreed with your first point until I found you can alter things about axis movement in the tinker table. I found settings that were not exactly like creative mode, but faster and more intuitive to me. Don't let the default settings ruin your experience.

Reactions: PierceSG

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
There's an (apparently) unofficial and experimental build of MPSA out already, go grab it if you miss your generators. I don't really need them, considering how efficient power suits are.
I still find MPS the best and most fun kind of armor in MC, and I don't think I'd stop using it any time soon (even though I often wait too long to make it). My only gripe with it at the moment is how the TE recipes are balanced against TE2 instead of TE3, which makes anything that requires Tesseracts absurdly expensive.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
There's an (apparently) unofficial and experimental build of MPSA out already, go grab it if you miss your generators. I don't really need them, considering how efficient power suits are.
I still find MPS the best and most fun kind of armor in MC, and I don't think I'd stop using it any time soon (even though I often wait too long to make it). My only gripe with it at the moment is how the TE recipes are balanced against TE2 instead of TE3, which makes anything that requires Tesseracts absurdly expensive.
Totally agree with you there on the tesseract costs now. Hahaha. Each tesseract now costs about:
1 pile of shiny dust
3 pile of tin dust
1 diamond
2 lead ingots
4 blocks of obsidian
8 ender pearls
4 silver ingots
4 bronze ingots
1 pile of sulfur
1 pile of pulverized coal
1 pile of blaze powder
1 pile of redstone dust
(I kind of forgot which tesseract it needs, take away 4 silver I gots and 4 bronze ingots if only a filled tesseract frame is needed.)
And I think that is about it? And that is for each Force Field Emitter. And you need 2 for each Ion Thruster. And IIRC, you need 2 Ion Thrusters for the Jetpack installation?

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Do I loose my batteries even if I set the %chance of item loss to 0 in the config?
Yes, you will. I think. They were made this way so vanilla recipes aren't horrible. (that is, you shouldn't need to remove a battery from something unless you're playing mostly vanilla, and they only need to since they can't recharge them, thus the batteries are lost when you take them out, since if they weren't always lost, you might be able to drain a battery and get it back, put it in again, and have a full charge on it for nothing)

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
Totally agree with you there on the tesseract costs now. Hahaha. Each tesseract now costs about:
1 pile of shiny dust
3 pile of tin dust
1 diamond
2 lead ingots
4 blocks of obsidian
8 ender pearls
4 silver ingots
4 bronze ingots
1 pile of sulfur
1 pile of pulverized coal
1 pile of blaze powder
1 pile of redstone dust
(I kind of forgot which tesseract it needs, take away 4 silver I gots and 4 bronze ingots if only a filled tesseract frame is needed.)
And I think that is about it? And that is for each Force Field Emitter. And you need 2 for each Ion Thruster. And IIRC, you need 2 Ion Thrusters for the Jetpack installation?

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk
Apart from the Ender Pearls (not even, because ender lillies and magic crops) Everything else seems fairly cheap. Shiny dust is the only legit rare thing in that, and the diamonds if you want to stretch it.