A whole new world.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

RabidBurn

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone,

I just started up a new world, and I'm at the stage where I need Blaze Rods, but don't have any armor to protect me from their fireballs. So my question is, what's the best way to attack Blazes, and preferably not die.

Thanks in advance guys,
RabidBurn

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
Attack them like you would to a skeleton. Make a wall, blocking off the "cube" that the spawner is in. Break up the bottom blocks of the wall. Make a trough at the foot of the wall and go in it. Look up through the blocks that were broken at the blazes and hit them. They will come to you and you can kill them. Occasionally you will get hit, but not often and you can easily regen it off before getting hit again.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Force armor or gold armor in an enchanting table. If you're lucky you'll get fire resistance 4 on every piece. That should be enough to keep you safe from the blazes.

Also, your signature is quite big. You'll probably want to tune it down.

Reactions: Riuga

RabidBurn

Jul 29, 2019
Attack them like you would to a skeleton. Make a wall, blocking off the "cube" that the spawner is in. Break up the bottom blocks of the wall. Make a trough at the foot of the wall and go in it. Look up through the blocks that were broken at the blazes and hit them. They will come to you and you can kill them. Occasionally you will get hit, but not often and you can easily regen it off before getting hit again.

Yes, I had considered this, and it's probably the method I'll use. Thanks![DOUBLEPOST=1376545792][/DOUBLEPOST]
I usually grab two blaze rods somehow and then run away and brew myself some Fire Resist potions before coming back for the rest.

Also, the thread title immediately made me think of this:

1) Yep, Fire Resistance potions would work, I'm going to go make some. Thanks!
2) Yeah, that's what I was going for. It works in this context, but also reminds of Aladin. Not a bad title![DOUBLEPOST=1376545903][/DOUBLEPOST]
Force armor or gold armor in an enchanting table. If you're lucky you'll get fire resistance 4 on every piece. That should be enough to keep you safe from the blazes.

Also, your signature is quite big. You'll probably want to tune it down.

1) Does Force armor have a higher chance of being enchanted with Fire Resistance? If so, I'm going to go make a set! Thanks!
2) Yeah, I know lol. I tried to make it smaller, but the forum seems to enlarge it on its own. I'll probably just make a new one, thanks though!

Paperboy

Jul 29, 2019
The easiest method is to build a booze barrel from ic2 and right click it with ~ half a stack of sugar cane. In a few mc days, you will have a barrel full of run, drinkable when you put a rubber tap on the barrel and fill up a stone mug. The effect is you gain fire resist I, II, and III depending how many mugs you drink.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

RabidBurn

Jul 29, 2019
The easiest method is to build a booze barrel from ic2 and right click it with ~ half a stack of sugar cane. In a few mc days, you will have a barrel full of run, drinkable when you put a rubber tap on the barrel and fill up a stone mug. The effect is you gain fire resist I, II, and III depending how many mugs you drink.

Oh wow, that's actually extremely useful. Thanks!

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
1) Does Force armor have a higher chance of being enchanted with Fire Resistance? If so, I'm going to go make a set! Thanks!

Everything besides gold, thaumium, and force armor give you a decent amount of enchants. Gold and thaumium give you more enchants, and force armor supposedly gives you even more enchants, if you enchant it in an enchanting table rather than an infuser.

Very useful if you don't have the random ingredients needed to infuse force armor in an infuser/get an MPS suit.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
I just dig under the spawner and dig one space in front of me, 1 block up (so I can only see their feet) and as high up and around as I can.

I have made them more elaborate than this but this is my basic, get blaze rods asap, approach.

If I see them in a hallway I simply place 3 blocks head high.

The key to dealing with any mob that fires projectiles is, if they can't see you, they won't fire.

So instead of walking in the open, dig through walls or below floors or in the ceiling.

I go into the nether with no armor and just stone picks and swords and have no problems getting my starting blaze rods.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I just dig under the spawner and dig one space in front of me, 1 block up (so I can only see their feet) and as high up and around as I can.

I have made them more elaborate than this but this is my basic, get blaze rods asap, approach.

If I see them in a hallway I simply place 3 blocks head high.

The key to dealing with any mob that fires projectiles is, if they can't see you, they won't fire.

So instead of walking in the open, dig through walls or below floors or in the ceiling.

I go into the nether with no armor and just stone picks and swords and have no problems getting my starting blaze rods.

I used to do just stone tools in the Nether on the first night usually, bit of Ghast tennis, avoid whacking a piggyman and the Nether was fairly safe, now I'm getting seriously arachnophobic. Heatscar spiders will scar you for life or at least the big ones will...set you on fire, more health than an Enderman and jump at you, though it is a use for a Bane sword now at least.

And it's either a mod or it may be a vanilla change but there are single pockets of lava all through the Netherrack now makes mining through considerably more interesting.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
And it's either a mod or it may be a vanilla change but there are single pockets of lava all through the Netherrack now makes mining through considerably more interesting.

This combined with the increased flowing speed of lava makes it hard to escape a flaming death when you tunnel into one of those pockets by accident, atleast early on without good fire protection.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I encountered a few of those single pockets of lava.
The first one I hit was scary and annoying right up until I found out they were just single blocks.

I keep my pick in slot 1 and a stack of blocks in 3. Keeping those two there allow me to switch tho place a block and back to my pick in a second or so.
I learned a couple of years ago to mine the blocks as far from me as possible when I am in a 1x2 tunnel.
As soon as I hit that block if lava I instantly switch to my blocks and back up as quickly as I can placing blocks as fast as possible. After 4 or 5 blocks I block the entire tunnel.
I then work my way forward, always digging out the floor block before the placed blocks so that when I break the blocks I placed, the lava goes in that hole.
I then work my way forward until I block the lava up.
I haven't died from the lava yet.

Yes the new mobs are scary which is why I stay in the walls to get my initial nether items (rack/brick/wart/rod/s.sand)

Then, once I'm geared up I can go explore

Cubstep12

Jul 29, 2019
RabidBurn, The pic in your sig is a little annoying, please change it? I think it's actually not allowed to be that big.

Edit: Quoted from the forum rules "4. Signatures should be less then 615 wide x 150 Tall."yours is 1920 x 1080, here I shrunk yours for u
http://imgur.com/KeyxnSZ

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
The lava isn't hard to avoid\work around but it does slow you down considerably (no more mining through the nether at almost a sprint), I typically don't bother with the Nether until I have an alumite pick and by that stage I'm mining with a Hammer so I keep a stack of blocks next to it.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I encountered a few of those single pockets of lava.
The first one I hit was scary and annoying right up until I found out they were just single blocks.

I keep my pick in slot 1 and a stack of blocks in 3. Keeping those two there allow me to switch tho place a block and back to my pick in a second or so.
I learned a couple of years ago to mine the blocks as far from me as possible when I am in a 1x2 tunnel.
As soon as I hit that block if lava I instantly switch to my blocks and back up as quickly as I can placing blocks as fast as possible. After 4 or 5 blocks I block the entire tunnel.
I then work my way forward, always digging out the floor block before the placed blocks so that when I break the blocks I placed, the lava goes in that hole.
I then work my way forward until I block the lava up.
I haven't died from the lava yet.

Yes the new mobs are scary which is why I stay in the walls to get my initial nether items (rack/brick/wart/rod/s.sand)

Then, once I'm geared up I can go explore

I always keep 2 charms of life I w/ me when going to the nether.

I found a total of 3, and now only have 2 left :p

lukaszpoke

Jul 29, 2019
Make sure to take a force wrench with you so you can take the spawners with you (shift+right click).

Cirom

Jan 1, 2013
Yeah, I recommend using Force Armour with certain Force Infused enchantments.

Also, fun fact: Force Armour also somewhat acts as a Charm of Life, it seems - fatal blows often leave you with 1/2 heart. (and a little jingle plays when that happens, too. Same sound as running out of Wing Meter)

.. Talking about Wing Meter, using the Force Infuser to enchant flight onto the armour wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I recommend using Force Armour with certain Force Infused enchantments.

Also, fun fact: Force Armour also somewhat acts as a Charm of Life, it seems - fatal blows often leave you with 1/2 heart. (and a little jingle plays when that happens, too. Same sound as running out of Wing Meter)

.. Talking about Wing Meter, using the Force Infuser to enchant flight onto the armour wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

It's not really practical in lava. TF CoL leaves you at 4.5

Cirom

Jan 1, 2013
It's not really practical in lava. TF CoL leaves you at 4.5

But if you're at the point that you've fallen in lava.. You're just going to take damage anyway before you can get out.
Fly away (Wing / Feather!) before you even HIT the lava, or upgrade your armour with Sturdy (Obsidian) to vastly increase the damage reduction.