So just for a challenge, i'm living in the Nether

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Prolly been done to death by everyone already, but i've never done it before.

I'm setting up my usual collection of machines and stuff, but it does provide some interesting challenges.

Water is the main one. Usually I put down infinite water sources under most machines that need it (of which there are many), also irrigation for crops etc.

I can use a pump in a lake with a couple of tesseracts to get around part of this and B'o'P blood works for crop irrigation so it's not insurmountable.

The thing that's annoying me at the moment is the inability to sleep in a bed in my Nether base. Any time I die I end up back in the overworld. Not sure if there's a workaround for this without hax...

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
For another Nether sleeping workaround, you could set up a portal in (or near) your Nether base, then set your bed at the Overworld-side portal. If you die, you'll respawn a short portalhop away from your base.

Aquaeuos accumulators may be able to extract a small amount of water from the air in the Nether (or maybe not; I'm not sure); failing that, I'm fairly sure the Dew Point Aggregator from RotaryCraft can, if you've got that mod. At any rate, the Reservoir from EnderIO should work at full speed once you put two buckets of water in it, which you'd need to collect from the Overworld (which it sounds like you're OK doing).

Finally, though you're probably already aware of this or are beyond the point where you'd need it, there's versions of the usual Tinker's Construct smeltery bricks and whatnot made from Nether materials. They're slightly more reddish than the Overworld versions, but should work the same way. And lava is plentiful in the Nether (of course).

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
giphy.gif

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Hrm, I forgot about this one:

Ambient temperature affects rotarycraft steam engine operating temperature...EXPLOSIVELY.

Imma need to skip that stage and head straight for AC engines instead.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The thing that's annoying me at the moment is the inability to sleep in a bed in my Nether base. Any time I die I end up back in the overworld. Not sure if there's a workaround for this without hax...
The Natura "Obelisk" is meant for exactly this. It allows you to set a spawn point in dimensions that does not allow beds.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Intellesting. I'll check that out :)
Natura also have lots of other small "tweaks" that is meant to make living in the Nether more feasible. Probably more early game stuff though, like vanilla type items made out of nether materials.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Natura also have lots of other small "tweaks" that is meant to make living in the Nether more feasible. Probably more early game stuff though, like vanilla type items made out of nether materials.

That sort of thing may come in handy as I'm trying to absolutely minimise my excursions into other dimensions.

Which is why I demolished my portal to Aroma's mining dimension. Absolutely nothing to do with the fact that returning through said portal dumps me back in the overworld ^_^

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
A trickle becomes a torrent:

2016-09-18_17.57.04.png

Four buckets of blood strategically placed within my quarry site at the roof of the nether.

At least it'll be easy to clean up after :3

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Only downside to the above...once the blood hits the lava sea, the quarry ends up having to chew through SO MUCH OBSIDIAN.

It takes aaaaages. Think a surface area of 3844 obsidian blocks multiplied by however deep the bloody thing is...

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Only downside to the above...once the blood hits the lava sea, the quarry ends up having to chew through SO MUCH OBSIDIAN.

It takes aaaaages. Think a surface area of 3844 obsidian blocks multiplied by however deep the bloody thing is...
What kind of quarry are you using? The Buildcraft quarry, for one, has no trouble with obsidian at all.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I believe the current quarry does care about block hardness, however this might have been different in the past. Also, on the plus side it shouldn't have much difficulty getting through the neterrack which is probably most of the blocks

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Another bit of random weirdness i've noticed, somewhere along the line i'm getting water turning up in my ME network.

I'm sending netherrack, soul sand and canola back to a set of grinders in the overworld (as this is lowish priority stuff and I can just plonk down steam engines and forget about them...steam engines I can't use in the nether due to KER-BOOM!).

I've made sure that my fluid conduit running from the canola grinders isn't adjacent to the water reservoir, the liquid transfer node or the steam engines but i'm still getting water being imported into the tank I've set up on the nether side to collect lubricant.

*scratches head*

On the up side, I am now using it for coolant in my pulse jet furnace and feed stock for my uranium processor so it's a happy bit of random. Just wish I could quantify it because I'm like that...

EDITEDIT: Just got muh first fuel pellets! Time to start digging a hole and building my reactor and HP turbine. GREAT JUSTICE!

Last edited:

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
About to start setting up my reactor.

Normally, in the overworld, i'd set down a big reservoir of water underneath and use liquid transfer nodes to shuffle water into my steam boilers.

I'm wondering...can I make a reactor that boils blood?

:3

EDIT: Well this is interesting. Steam boilers placed in the nether start at 300 degrees. They react...violently when you try and pump water into them...

Last edited:
Reactions: Celestialphoenix