Aqueous Accumulator

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Stimo

Jul 29, 2019
Hi I am trying to build a steam boiler. I have 9 liquid fireboxes underneath a 3x3x4 lower pressure boiler.

My question is how many Aqueous Accumulators will I need to use under the fire boxes?

Stimo

Jul 29, 2019
Just one.

Ah thats good then, will it need water piped into it? As i don't really know how to use it. My first intentions were to use a infinite pool bu ti heard that soon disappears when you leave the chunk and then was told about this machine.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Put water on the sides of the accumulator and it will pump the water it generates to whichever side you tell it to. I've got mine set up with water on all 4 sides but I think you only need it on two sides for max capacity.

tabs

Jul 29, 2019
Simply place a water source block on two sides of the accumulator and it will never run dry.

edit> I was ninja'd, but to follow up, yeah only 2 sides needed for maximum water.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Ah thats good then, will it need water piped into it? As i don't really know how to use it. My first intentions were to use a infinite pool bu ti heard that soon disappears when you leave the chunk and then was told about this machine.

They will not disappear, but I suggest making a 3x3 pool of water under the boiler and placing it in the middle, so there should never be an issue with water updating too slowly. And no need to use pipes at all, as it'll pump directly skyward into your boiler.

Make sure, before you start your boiler, that you have WELL MORE than enough fuel to get it warmed up. Low pressure shouldn't be too bad, but high pressure boilers require a LOT of fuel to reach properly working temp., so have more than you need and be able to make more quickly.

Reactions: Spachi1281

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
And to add, they don't need to be source blocks. I just don't like the sound of running water at my base if I can avoid it.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
And to add, they don't need to be source blocks. I just don't like the sound of running water at my base if I can avoid it.

Er, they don't? Are you sure about that, because I was under the impression that they did need to be water source blocks as the accumulator works by grabbing the water block that would be generated where it was placed. If you were to place two source blocks nine blocks away from each other, and then the accumulator in the middle of those, are you certain it will still work? I'll test later tonight if no one else is able to confirm.

tabs

Jul 29, 2019
Interested in the test result (for science!) but if you need a block of water either side, why not just have a source block anyway?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Interested in the test result (for science!) but if you need a block of water either side, why not just have a source block anyway?

The only reason I can think of would be that you really want to hear the sound of running water, and you don't have space for said running water anywhere else. Sounds a bit silly to me, too.

Stimo

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks guys! Yeah i have a low pressure boiler and we have tons of creosite oil for the coke ovens that we could use as fuel!

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks guys! Yeah i have a low pressure boiler and we have tons of creosite oil for the coke ovens that we could use as fuel!

How many buckets (or millibuckets, I'm not picky, I can multiply by one thousand it my head) is "tons"? I wish I remembered the exact amount of heat required to get the thing to 500°, as you'd be able to use that value to calculate how much fuel you'd need. But, at worst, you heat it up a bit and see that you don't have anywhere near enough.

Actually, at worst, your actions are instrumental in destroying the universe, but I don't think that'll be an issue today.

Stimo

Jul 29, 2019
How many buckets (or millibuckets, I'm not picky, I can multiply by one thousand it my head) is "tons"? I wish I remembered the exact amount of heat required to get the thing to 500°, as you'd be able to use that value to calculate how much fuel you'd need. But, at worst, you heat it up a bit and see that you don't have anywhere near enough.

Actually, at worst, your actions are instrumental in destroying the universe, but I don't think that'll be an issue today.

We have x5 5 high glass tanks full and 8 stacks of 64 glass bottles full

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Er, they don't? Are you sure about that, because I was under the impression that they did need to be water source blocks as the accumulator works by grabbing the water block that would be generated where it was placed. If you were to place two source blocks nine blocks away from each other, and then the accumulator in the middle of those, are you certain it will still work? I'll test later tonight if no one else is able to confirm.

It doesn't grab water blocks like a pump would, it just checks for water existing on an adjacent side. Pseudocode being "if water on at least two sides, generate max output". It creates the water from nothing, essentially.[DOUBLEPOST=1361982871][/DOUBLEPOST]
Side note here. Blaze Rods in a solid fuel boiler get eaten up fast. Stick with coal or coke.

I've got a tier 5 blaze spawner feeding a 36HP boiler just fine. They get used up very quickly while heating up but that is to be expected. Once heated, you could probably run several boilers with one tier 5 spawner.

edit: Oh good, the forums auto-merge double posts! That's a really cool feature.

Reactions: tabs

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Just tested this in creative to be sure. An accumulator with two source blocks generates just as quickly as one with running water in place of those source blocks. No difference in the amount of flowing water (distance from source block).

Reactions: tabs and Guswut

Stimo

Jul 29, 2019
Just tested this in creative to be sure. An accumulator with two source blocks generates just as quickly as one with running water in place of those source blocks.

and these sources blocks will never disappear? no matter where i am in the world.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a tier 5 blaze spawner feeding a 36HP boiler just fine. They get used up very quickly while heating up but that is to be expected. Once heated, you could probably run several boilers with one tier 5 spawner.

You think so? Since the nerf, my one spawner can just barely keep up with a single boiler at maximum heat. There's a little bit of extra while I'm in the area and blazes don't despawn too quickly, but I'd be really hard pressed to feed a second boiler with it.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
and these sources blocks will never disappear? no matter where i am in the world.
Correcto mundo!
You think so? Since the nerf, my one spawner can just barely keep up with a single boiler at maximum heat. There's a little bit of extra while I'm in the area and blazes don't despawn too quickly, but I'd be really hard pressed to feed a second boiler with it.
Used to be 2,5 boilers per spawner, now it's hardly one.

Reactions: Stimo