Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
I have nothing against the current way its done, except that it doesn't fit very well with replayability. When you're restarting a server, or playing on a new server/modpack and starting out on Thaumcraft for the 27th time, it really feels tedious at best. The problem is that there's a set list of items that you can scan to get most if not all aspects and a set number of combinations to complete most of the researches that you will encounter. It's a great system when you're playing the first few times but after that it just feels like a pointless exercise of repetition, which I don't experience when I am playing mods that establish progression based gating through in-game crafting (unless you count nested crafting, ugh) and infrastructure setup.

For example, I've played through Botania a few times, but setting up the Runic Altar and crafting my first set of all the runes for the first few times when I'm making the different flowers and baubles does not feel like pointless repetition, strangely enough. Maybe I'm just annoyed by having to do the pointless repetition while staring at an interface rather than doing it in-world.
I agree. As someone who's is an avid Thaumcraft fan, it is really tedious. So tedious to the point to where I haven't even touched Thaumcraft fully since maybe May. However, I am slowly starting to grow old of Botania as well. I've played with it so much, to the point it's starting to grow mold. (See what I did there?) It's just the same mechanics, with the same tedium. (Not that Botania is tedious) Modded Minecraft has just become this huge spiral of tedium, perfectly displayed by Avaritia, which is why I like it so much, to even rank it is one of my top mods for 1.7.10 (Despite it not even it being fully released yet). Modded Minecraft is nothing but numbers, now. How much output can I get out of this one ore? How big can we make this node? How much time will it take to generate this much mana? It's numbers down a long rabbit hole. LMT is even a big contender to this. I didn't mean to make it as grindy as it is. I was thinking more so about balance rather than actually gameplay, and I committed the cardinal sin of making my mod a huge rabbit hole, rather than actually making a kick ass mod.

Minecraft in general is starting to grow old as a whole for me. I been experimenting with other mods I haven't either played with before but even then, it's still Minecraft, no matter what mods you have, it's still the same game. I think after I am finished working on LMT2, I plan on taking a long break from Minecraft as a whole. Play other games, do other things. I plan on also working on LMT2 as get new ideas for items, or feel the need to fix things that need fixing, or making adjustments to mechanics that are to overpowered or not fun. Speaking of which, it should be released soonish, and I haven't been very good about the git hub thing either, as I am still trying to figure it out. I'm new at this, okay? D:

dragon_fang101

Jul 29, 2019
I agree. As someone who's is an avid Thaumcraft fan, it is really tedious. So tedious to the point to where I haven't even touched Thaumcraft fully since maybe May. However, I am slowly starting to grow old of Botania as well. I've played with it so much, to the point it's starting to grow mold. (See what I did there?) It's just the same mechanics, with the same tedium. (Not that Botania is tedious) Modded Minecraft has just become this huge spiral of tedium, perfectly displayed by Avaritia, which is why I like it so much, to even rank it is one of my top mods for 1.7.10 (Despite it not even it being fully released yet). Modded Minecraft is nothing but numbers, now. How much output can I get out of this one ore? How big can we make this node? How much time will it take to generate this much mana? It's numbers down a long rabbit hole. LMT is even a big contender to this. I didn't mean to make it as grindy as it is. I was thinking more so about balance rather than actually gameplay, and I committed the cardinal sin of making my mod a huge rabbit hole, rather than actually making a kick ass mod.

Minecraft in general is starting to grow old as a whole for me. I been experimenting with other mods I haven't either played with before but even then, it's still Minecraft, no matter what mods you have, it's still the same game. I think after I am finished working on LMT2, I plan on taking a long break from Minecraft as a whole. Play other games, do other things. I plan on also working on LMT2 as get new ideas for items, or feel the need to fix things that need fixing, or making adjustments to mechanics that are to overpowered or not fun. Speaking of which, it should be released soonish, and I haven't been very good about the git hub thing either, as I am still trying to figure it out. I'm new at this, okay? D:

well see you later! and your not alone- I'm pretty new too.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Can I just say that, having just read the RotaryCraft thread, I didn't understand what GearSwapper was?

It is a block that allows you to switch between four sets of hotbar+armor. i.e. your 'mining gear' (pickaxe, torches, sword, good armor, ...) vs your 'in the base gear' (pickaxe, wrench, multimeter, ...) vs your magical gear (wand, thaumcraft robes, ...)

Reactions: RedBoss

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
The key here is that minecraft is commonly used as a base game to make changes to rather than what I see it as a game engine

For example, the huge focus on compatibility between mods forces people to use things that other mods can access easily and that are minecrafty. The difference can definitely be shown when looking at things like TFC or BTW, they feel and play like completely different game because they aren't worried about compatibility or "seeming familiar to the player."

Firebats

Jul 29, 2019
Had to create a new account to post but I have to agree with how moldy modded Minecraft has become. I've stayed away from 1.8 since it was such a huge cluster and 1.9 I figured was more of the same so I've been stuck on 1.7.10. We really haven't had a stable or mostly stable build back as far as 14.7 or 1.52. Has there been any discussion about creating an engine that would run like Minecraft but without all the issues, one that would actually allow modding to work better?

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Had to create a new account to post but I have to agree with how moldy modded Minecraft has become. I've stayed away from 1.8 since it was such a huge cluster and 1.9 I figured was more of the same so I've been stuck on 1.7.10. We really haven't had a stable or mostly stable build back as far as 14.7 or 1.52. Has there been any discussion about creating an engine that would run like Minecraft but without all the issues, one that would actually allow modding to work better?
What are you talking about? 1.7.10 is much more stable compared to any previous version.

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RedBoss

Firebats

Jul 29, 2019
What are you talking about? 1.7.10 is much more stable compared to any previous version.

Well compared to other versions not so much but again it also depends on what and how many mods being used. But I've had more OpenGl crashes and more chunk missing issues in 1.7.10 than in say some much older versions.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Well compared to other versions not so much but again it also depends on what and how many mods being used. But I've had more OpenGl crashes and more chunk missing issues in 1.7.10 than in say some much older versions.

Blame Mojang for that. They've made things so unstable with their "fixes" when mods get thrown into the equation.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
True, we can add it to the F U Mojang list of things that will never get fixed. Hopefully someone will create a competitor to Minecraft that actually works, they'd be richer than Notch in an instant from all the people migrating over.

I think you're overestimating how many people use mods, and more so how many care about / understand what's going on under the hood.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019

The OpenGL crashes are likely entirely the fault of mods, which is part of the given reasoning for Forge for 1.8 locking certain aspects down. Though ironically the parts locked down have the least to do with potential OpenGL crashes.

As for missing chunks, 1.8+ made significant differences to chunk rendering which seems to have eliminated those infamous strips of missing chunks in 1.7 and earlier. Unfortunately there are different bugs now which result in very similar issues, particularly for multiplayer, so you can't win for losing.

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
I've never had any opengl crashes, and I've had comparatively fewer chunk issues in 1.7.10 than 1.6 or 1.5

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
True, we can add it to the F U Mojang list of things that will never get fixed. Hopefully someone will create a competitor to Minecraft that actually works, they'd be richer than Notch in an instant from all the people migrating over.
I'll also point out that's exactly what mojang are doing with the windows 10 version.

Reactions: Flipz and Padfoote

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Rumored talks...I haven't heard anything directly from forge devs.

The commentary I had heard on it was either directly from them or people with them at the time. So it definitely happened.

Reactions: Firebats

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
They've apparently been in talks with some of the people behind Forge to figure out how it works. We'll see.
Talks? Last we heard about it was Lex being followed by MS engineers like puppies.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Talks? Last we heard about it was Lex being followed by MS engineers like puppies.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

And asking a ton of questions. Perhaps talks was the wrong word to use, but it's still a good indicator of what's to come.