Changing Machine Mod bye bye IC2?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bryantom

Jul 29, 2019
It was bad timing on my part to join the small server I play on. The server is about eight months old and the regulars want to start the world over. This of course is happening just as I have a system of making UU-Matter for my Quantum armor <sigh>. I only know IC2 experimental machines, but I'm eager to give another mod pack a try as IC2 machines can be a pain in the arse with all the exploding, needing a wrench and stuff, and the fact that I have to convert energy types. Discussion: what are the machine MOD packs you use early in the game?

Reactions: Type1Ninja

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
what are the machine MOD packs you use early in the game?
I am rather confused by this sentence. Are you asking for an easier modpack to play to start out playing modded MC? Or are you asking which mods machines are easier/less complex to use earlier on?

Bryantom

Jul 29, 2019
I am rather confused by this sentence. Are you asking for an easier modpack to play to start out playing modded MC? Or are you asking which mods machines are easier/less complex to use earlier on?
Haha, I was just perplexed that I just received the word the world was going to reset at a time I was finally getting comfortable. Sometimes I ramble because I just like to hear myself think. I'm still very new to Infinity pack and know maybe three different mods. I'd like to learn some new ones. I'm looking for a mod pack that has the variety of generators, and other machines that IC2 has, but without the pain of having machines explode so easily.

Bryan

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I'm looking for a mod pack that has the variety of generators, and other machines that IC2 has, but without the pain of having machines explode so easily.
Guess I will ask more direct:
Are you looking for a different "modpack" aka. a collection of mods to play? Modpacks as in Infinity, Horizons, DW20, etc.
Or are you looking for different "mods" aka. a collection of blocks, machines etc. to use instead of IC2? As in Thermal Expansion, EnderIO etc.

Bryantom

Jul 29, 2019
Guess I will ask more direct:
Are you looking for a different "modpack" aka. a collection of mods to play? Modpacks as in Infinity, Horizons, DW20, etc.
Or are you looking for different "mods" aka. a collection of blocks, machines etc. to use instead of IC2? As in Thermal Expansion, EnderIO etc.

Ah, sorry for my confusion. The server is still going to be an Infinity mod pack. I'm looking to build non-IC2 machines. Sorry about that.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Thermal Expansion and EnderIO are in infinity right? Use them. Not sure what Infinity has in the way of fluxy armor. Doesn't Infinity have That Draconic whatever mod? Failing that Redstone Arsenal?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Type1Ninja and rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ah, sorry for my confusion. The server is still going to be an Infinity mod pack. I'm looking to build non-IC2 machines. Sorry about that.
Ahh roger ;)

Thermal Expansion and EnderIO are two pretty easy to grasp and easy to start off early on. Especially the TE machines for ore doubling(Pulverizer and Redstone Furnace) are dead easy to get going very early on.

Basically ANYTHING running on RF is faceroll easy and safe to hook up and run.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Thermal Expansion is what I would go with. It's the most "standard" in terms of difficulty vs. yield. IC2 is more high end, EnderIO perhaps a bit above IC2, and Buildcraft at the low end (unless you use Logistics Pipes, in which case it takes the top of the list). Go for BC Quarries for automated mining regardless. Gotta love them world holes! :D

As for end-game - yeah, go for Draconic Evolution. There's an in-game guide, which is always super helpful. :)

Bryantom

Jul 29, 2019
Great. Thanks. I did use the small BC quarry a few times. I'd drop fences around them to keep the animals from taking a nose dive. After a while, I read a post suggesting building them above oceans to keep from the open pits all over the place. Lots of fun finding ocean dungeons with my scuba gear.

Bryan

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Great. Thanks. I did use the small BC quarry a few times. I'd drop fences around them to keep the animals from taking a nose dive. After a while, I read a post suggesting building them above oceans to keep from the open pits all over the place. Lots of fun finding ocean dungeons with my scuba gear.

Bryan
In general you should avoid having fluids in your quarry. Every time it removes a block it causes massive amounts of updates through out the fluids that are quite the strain on both the client rendering it and the server. Afterwards all the flowing fluids would also be bad for fps in that region(you should never be quarrying near your base anyway).

The Ender Quarry and the Quarry Plus are both superior solutions to the fluid problem(and superior in other ways) as they respectively replaces the stone and ore with dirt or pumps the fluids out etc. so you never get these fluid updates.

Early on you might not be able to get these quarries. But don't compound the limitations of the BC quarry by placing it over an ocean.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
While quarrying over water is bad for performance it had the advantage of avoiding those instances where you'd end up with a glorified cobble gen. Also there was no obvious world holes.
But as Rhn states this tanks your performance craplodes when your quarry is large. NEVER make a 64X64 size quarry over water, it only gives you an express ticket to lagvill via crash town.
You might be able to get awat with a default 16x16 one but the larger you go the more water calculations occur.

Reactions: Type1Ninja and rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
While quarrying over water is bad for performance it had the advantage of avoiding those instances where you'd end up with a glorified cobble gen. Also there was no obvious world holes.
But as Rhn states this tanks your performance craplodes when your quarry is large. NEVER make a 64X64 size quarry over water, it only gives you an express ticket to lagvill via crash town.
You might be able to get awat with a default 16x16 one but the larger you go the more water calculations occur.

And if you do this, then make sure it is 15-20 chunks away from ANYWHERE you plan to build. You do not want to have to render all the flowing water while in your base.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Um. There are no performance problems with BC quarries over oceans. That's how I tend to run them.
Oh it is an issue. But it is debatable if you will feel it if you are running a single slow-medium BC quarry in single player and doesn't have much else going on. But it is not something you want going on large scale on a server or on a already complex world.

Everything you have loaded and running in MC will take time for the server(you have a server aspect in singleplayer too) to process every tick. A Quarry with a lot of fluids in it will take up loads more time to process than an empty one. But if your world is simple enough for everything to be processed inside the normal tick time then you wouldn't feel a difference. Your flooded quarries might take up 90% of your server processing time, but if it manages to process it all in normal time, you experience it as all fine.

But on a multiplayer server (or a sufficient complex world) things are different. If everybody start using bad solutions like this, then your server performance is bound to tank is no time. The server will simply not be able to process all the information in the allotted time and your ticks start lasting longer than they should(TPS) and certain things never get processed(blocks you place vanish again etc.).

There is a reason why Quarry solutions like "Ender Quarry" and "Quarry Plus" were designed specifically to not cause fluid updates. The authors didn't just randomly decide to give them this feature, they were specifically build with this in mind because the BC Quarry have big problems with this.

trinityamc

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh roger ;)

Thermal Expansion and EnderIO are two pretty easy to grasp and easy to start off early on. Especially the TE machines for ore doubling(Pulverizer and Redstone Furnace) are dead easy to get going very early on.

Basically ANYTHING running on RF is faceroll easy and safe to hook up and run.
TE is completely broken since 1.7
Augments beat speed and efficency of ic2 by far

Gesendet von meinem D6603 mit Tapatalk

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
TE is completely broken since 1.7
Augments beat speed and efficency of ic2 by far

Gesendet von meinem D6603 mit Tapatalk
You should not be playing IC2/GT if you all you care about if "biggest, fastest, most OP". The philosophy of these mods are to keep things complicated and difficult to give the player some challenge.

But yeah I am also sad to see that TE jumped on the wagon of "Who cares about balance, we just want to be the OP mod of the month".

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Oh it is an issue. But it is debatable if you will feel it if you are running a single slow-medium BC quarry in single player and doesn't have much else going on. But it is not something you want going on large scale on a server or on a already complex world.

Everything you have loaded and running in MC will take time for the server(you have a server aspect in singleplayer too) to process every tick. A Quarry with a lot of fluids in it will take up loads more time to process than an empty one. But if your world is simple enough for everything to be processed inside the normal tick time then you wouldn't feel a difference. Your flooded quarries might take up 90% of your server processing time, but if it manages to process it all in normal time, you experience it as all fine.

But on a multiplayer server (or a sufficient complex world) things are different. If everybody start using bad solutions like this, then your server performance is bound to tank is no time. The server will simply not be able to process all the information in the allotted time and your ticks start lasting longer than they should(TPS) and certain things never get processed(blocks you place vanish again etc.).

There is a reason why Quarry solutions like "Ender Quarry" and "Quarry Plus" were designed specifically to not cause fluid updates. The authors didn't just randomly decide to give them this feature, they were specifically build with this in mind because the BC Quarry have big problems with this.

The cascading liquid updates happen in non ocean quarries as the quarry encounters liquids and then exposes non liquid areas for them to flow into. In the ocean the whole thing is full of water so, on each move of the quarryhead there is only one block to update - the newly exposed block. Unless you hit a tunnel but here the water falls down as its opened, ensuring that each time the quarry head passes the new blocks are already surrounded by water.

Its also common practice (a necessity) to manually flood overworld quarries with a single source block at the top, to ensure that lava encountered is dealt with. Unflooding this kind of quarry is very VERY resource intensive.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The cascading liquid updates happen in non ocean quarries as the quarry encounters liquids and then exposes non liquid areas for them to flow into. In the ocean the whole thing is full of water so, on each move of the quarryhead there is only one block to update - the newly exposed block. Unless you hit a tunnel but here the water falls down as its opened, ensuring that each time the quarry head passes the new blocks are already surrounded by water.

Its also common practice (a necessity) to manually flood overworld quarries with a single source block at the top, to ensure that lava encountered is dealt with. Unflooding this kind of quarry is very VERY resource intensive.
As far as I understand it, the problem is that you simply cannot just block update ONE block of water. When one block is mined it block updates the whole region of water which is what is so resource intensive.

Additionally, simply because you have a smooth fully formed ocean of source blocks on top does not mean it will be the same thing when you start chipping away blocks beneath it. What happens most of the time is actually that the pit beneath is simply filled with flowing water, not source blocks.

Now you can imagine that every time the quarries cutting head cuts away a block it causes an area to be block updated, which is filled with flowing water. Nothing except the new block might be changed, but the whole area is still recalculated. If your Quarry is running at a decent pace you can imagine the amount of calculations this totals at. Multiply that with several people on a server and again with them perhaps running multiple quarries each...

And if you REALLY need to quarry the overworld(you really shouldn't, there are so many solutions to avoid it), you most definitely should use an Ender Quarry or QuarryPlus with Pump attached. Flooding a quarry with a source block of water is one of the worst things you can do.