Why am I lagging on Direwolf20's Pack?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MMiner098

Jul 29, 2019
My computer specs are:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3948MB RAM
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0116&SUBSYS_05041025&REV_09
Display Memory: 1760 MB
Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
Shared Memory: 1632 MB
I am not sure if I need to show all of this.
Thanks if you help!

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
"CPU @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz"

"Intel(R) HD Graphics Family"

Well, there's 2 things right off the bat. Minecraft is CPU intensive, and you have a really pretty slow CPU ( it doesn't care much about multiple cores, multi-threading, or advanced features). You also don't have any kind of graphics card. "Intel HD graphics" are useful for watching video, not playing games. This also suggests you are running on a laptop, which are always slower than their desktop equivalents. Finally, you barely have over 2 gigs of RAM ( that intel chip is sucking out 1.6 gigs ), which must be shared between the OS, Minecraft, and anything else you are running.

Since it is a laptop, I can't recommend overclocking it, which would have helped a ton.

There are some tweaks here and there, but honestly, I don't think it will be enough.

If you really want to: Look through the mod list, and disable anything you don't really want to use. The less the game is loading, the better.
Find out if you can buy some more RAM for the laptop. RAM is super cheap, and can make a huge difference.
Find out if you can disable most of that shared memory. Minecraft doesn't need a huge amount of video RAM.
Try a few versions of Optifine and see which runs best.
Go through all of the settings in minecraft and turn everything down.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
That CPU turbos up to 3.0 GHz, which is plenty for Minecraft on a Sandy Bridge architecture.

However, the integrated graphics are not, because a.) as zemerick said it leeches off the limited system memory and b.) it's an intel chip, which do tenuously well with DirectX titles but fail hard with OpenGL games like Minecraft.

In addition, all of the 1.4.7 packs still suffer from the texture issue that was only fixed in 1.5.x, where the game attempts to upload every texture to the GPU, every tick, over and over. Unnoticeable with vanilla Minecraft, but add 60 content mods and you have a ginourmous amount of texture information being pushed twenty times per second, and here it's being pushed at an already bandwidth starved iGPU.

Unfortunately, for better framerate, you have only two options: play the 1.5.2 beta pack, or get a computer that is actually suited for gaming...

SteveTech

Jul 29, 2019
Do we have any way to check if the bottleneck is GPU or memory? Assuming he is running a 64 bit OS the easiest solution would be to upgrade his RAM and then allocate more to java, hopefully making the game more playable.

Without a real GPU you may be incapable of playing above the teens/low twenties.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019

Lol?

Do we have any way to check if the bottleneck is GPU or memory? Assuming he is running a 64 bit OS the easiest solution would be to upgrade his RAM and then allocate more to java, hopefully making the game more playable.

Without a real GPU you may be incapable of playing above the teens/low twenties.

Oh please. Do you really think integrated GPU on a laptop would EVER not be the bottleneck? He has plenty of RAM, and more isnt going to effect framerates in the least.

Not to mention even IB i5 is going to be an issue when its a 2430 mobile running at 2.4Ghz. Not in normal MC, but in FTB it will be an issue depending on whats in a base.

Turn your view distance to low.
Install Optifine http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...d3-fps-boost-hd-textures-aa-af-and-much-more/
Turn all settings to fast
Allocate 3GB to FTB
Install 64bit java. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/overview/index.html

SteveTech

Jul 29, 2019
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @
Oh please. Do you really think integrated GPU on a laptop would EVER not be the bottleneck? He has plenty of RAM, and more isnt going to effect framerates in the least.

Not to mention even IB i5 is going to be an issue when its a 2430 mobile running at 2.4Ghz. Not in normal MC, but in FTB it will be an issue depending on whats in a base.

4GB of system RAM is far from enough(especially since ~1/2 of it is going to his GPU), but yes the GPU ought to be the major bottleneck.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
No. 4GB is enough unless he has memory leak issues or has settings to FAR or even normal. Then 8GB wouldent be enough.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
No. 4GB is enough unless he has memory leak issues or has settings to FAR or even normal. Then 8GB wouldent be enough.

Uh, not really. Modded minecraft should have over 1 gig of RAM. He loses over 1.5gigs to shared memory, leaving only 2.3 gigs to share between both the OS ( almost certainly windows, especially due to the formatting of the information posted. ), and Minecraft itself. Windows easily eats 1-2 gigs by itself. This is if they don't have any anti-virus, browsers, music players, voice chat, viruses, etc. running in the background.

Also, singleplayer will make this worse as you are running a server yourself.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Java eats as much RAM as you give it, so unless you actually get an out of memory error, you are just wasting your RAM. Your CPU is not stellar, but I can Ultimate at 20-30 FPS at about 2.6GHz.
settings to FAR or even normal
What? I only have 4GB RAM and always play on far.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Java eats as much RAM as you give it, so unless you actually get an out of memory error, you are just wasting your RAM. Your CPU is not stellar, but I can Ultimate at 20-30 FPS at about 2.6GHz.

What? I only have 4GB RAM and always play on far.
Depends on pack, distance traveled, time played, memory leaks, etc
Are you using a laptop too?

Uh, not really. Modded minecraft should have over 1 gig of RAM. He loses over 1.5gigs to shared memory, leaving only 2.3 gigs to share between both the OS ( almost certainly windows, especially due to the formatting of the information posted. ), and Minecraft itself. Windows easily eats 1-2 gigs by itself. This is if they don't have any anti-virus, browsers, music players, voice chat, viruses, etc. running in the background.

Also, singleplayer will make this worse as you are running a server yourself.

Uh, ya rly. Lack of RAM is going to either 1. Crash his game or 2. Make it unplayable, ie, FPS goes from 1 to normal to 1 again as things start using VM. 4GB RAM is plenty for FTB on Normal/Near distance unless youre doing something in MC I mentioned above.

Also with your logic 64GB wouldent be enough given you have enough shit open in the background on the PC

MMiner098

Jul 29, 2019
"CPU @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz"

"Intel(R) HD Graphics Family"

Well, there's 2 things right off the bat. Minecraft is CPU intensive, and you have a really pretty slow CPU ( it doesn't care much about multiple cores, multi-threading, or advanced features). You also don't have any kind of graphics card. "Intel HD graphics" are useful for watching video, not playing games. This also suggests you are running on a laptop, which are always slower than their desktop equivalents. Finally, you barely have over 2 gigs of RAM ( that intel chip is sucking out 1.6 gigs ), which must be shared between the OS, Minecraft, and anything else you are running.

Since it is a laptop, I can't recommend overclocking it, which would have helped a ton.

There are some tweaks here and there, but honestly, I don't think it will be enough.

If you really want to: Look through the mod list, and disable anything you don't really want to use. The less the game is loading, the better.
Find out if you can buy some more RAM for the laptop. RAM is super cheap, and can make a huge difference.
Find out if you can disable most of that shared memory. Minecraft doesn't need a huge amount of video RAM.
Try a few versions of Optifine and see which runs best.
Go through all of the settings in minecraft and turn everything down.

A few things. I have all the settings down.
Optifine disables mods that i like
I want all his mods that he has on[DOUBLEPOST=1371369026][/DOUBLEPOST]
That CPU turbos up to 3.0 GHz, which is plenty for Minecraft on a Sandy Bridge architecture.

However, the integrated graphics are not, because a.) as zemerick said it leeches off the limited system memory and b.) it's an intel chip, which do tenuously well with DirectX titles but fail hard with OpenGL games like Minecraft.

In addition, all of the 1.4.7 packs still suffer from the texture issue that was only fixed in 1.5.x, where the game attempts to upload every texture to the GPU, every tick, over and over. Unnoticeable with vanilla Minecraft, but add 60 content mods and you have a ginourmous amount of texture information being pushed twenty times per second, and here it's being pushed at an already bandwidth starved iGPU.

Unfortunately, for better framerate, you have only two options: play the 1.5.2 beta pack, or get a computer that is actually suited for gaming...

which is what i want to do but i just cant[DOUBLEPOST=1371369087][/DOUBLEPOST]
Logs would be nice.

It may be memory leaking, that can kill your framerate.

there are no crashes though for logs...

MMiner098

Jul 29, 2019
I find it highly likely you're on a 64-bit OS, but are you running 64-bit Java as well?

yes according to the Java website[DOUBLEPOST=1371369297][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh just so you know. I can play amco at a descent framerate which has 146 mods[DOUBLEPOST=1371369488][/DOUBLEPOST]

Lol?

Turn your view distance to low.
Install Optifine http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...d3-fps-boost-hd-textures-aa-af-and-much-more/
Turn all settings to fast
Allocate 3GB to FTB
Install 64bit java. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/overview/index.html

the max is 1 gig though :/

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Thought I'd add my opinion here, I easily run FTB with 1 GB of RAM, so as long as it's getting that, should be good. You should never really go above 2-3 anyway, Java doesn't know what to do with it and essentially drowns itself.

Ryiah

Jul 29, 2019
I do not have the 1.5.x beta pack in the modpacks list but thanks for the help
Click the "Private Packs" button and input one of the combinations into it. "152wgt" and "152ngt" are for GregTech and no GregTech respectively. It will then appear at the very bottom of the list.