What do you think is the best mod pack?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DarkYogurt

Jul 29, 2019
Im currently not sure as to what pack I should use so I decided to come onto these forums and ask for your advice

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
What do you want to do?

Do you want to explore strange new things? (horizons)
Do you want to move items around like a CHAMP (direwolf)
Do you want to work your way up the hard way, kicking and screaming? (magic farm)
Do you want it ALL? (monster!)

:)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
No matter which you choose, I would recommend waiting till they are considered stable. Atm all but FTB lite is still in beta

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
I would probably like monster the best if I had a computer that could run it... So I guess I have to go with tech world 2.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Whichever one is the most fun is my answer. That said, I'm actually having great fun with Horizons. I get to play with mods I hadn't seen before, like Engineer's Toolbox, or had seen but hadn't played with, like Archimedes Ships. (Which, is a mod that's too fun for explanation.)

penguin055

Jul 29, 2019
My personal favorite is Magic Farm 2. It's great for when you think survival is too easy in other packs and/or you don't like tech (or suck at it like me). But if you like tech, I would suggest Unleashed. It was my favorite before MF2. But be careful with MF2; it is pretty CPU intensive. On my 4GB RAM laptop, it crashes frequently because it has "run out of memory". It is also quite hard starting out in the game, and you will probably need to use guides (I certainly did).

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
My personal favorite is Magic Farm 2. It's great for when you think survival is too easy in other packs and/or you don't like tech (or suck at it like me). But if you like tech, I would suggest Unleashed. It was my favorite before MF2. But be careful with MF2; it is pretty CPU intensive. On my 4GB RAM laptop, it crashes frequently because it has "run out of memory". It is also quite hard starting out in the game, and you will probably need to use guides (I certainly did).
Not once have I crashed running MF2, and I usually only allocate 1-2GB out of my 6GB RAM.

Sadistical_satan

Jul 29, 2019
My favorite modpack has to be Resonant-Rise....OH WAIT!! I can't talk about that because it's not related to FTB....
hmmm...
Thinking...
What of the new 1.6.4 ftb packs have both Thermal expansion and Project Red in them?
I don't think any of them pack's have those two in 'em..
So I guess my answer would be none..

Reactions: RedBoss

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019
I was having the most god-awful time with strange lag in monster after I generated quite a bit of land and built a pretty significant sized base with ATG gen.. right until I disabled AGT. Now I have virtually no block-lag, significantly less issues, and never lost the beauty of the ATG generation. I recommend going this route if you experience issues after you get a bit of your map explored.

Also, disable/don't enable meteorcraft. It was awesome for the very beginning, lots of ores with the occassional "tidy-up" until it hits a tree and throws crappy pieces of ore/stone/netherrack/endstone all over your base and a 100 block radius making the landscape look worse than it would if a bunch of 5 year olds in creative had their way with it.

Albeleo

Jul 29, 2019
My favorite modpack has to be Resonant-Rise....OH WAIT!! I can't talk about that because it's not related to FTB....
hmmm...
Thinking...
What of the new 1.6.4 ftb packs have both Thermal expansion and Project Red in them?
I don't think any of them pack's have those two in 'em..
So I guess my answer would be none..

Monster has both.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
Im currently not sure as to what pack I should use so I decided to come onto these forums and ask for your advice

If you want to try different mods, then give Horizons a try.
If all you want is tech mods and no magic, then Tech World 2.
If you really like magic mods, then Magic World 2.
If you want a challenge, try Magic Farm.
If you want everything, then use Monster.
And, if you watch DW20 SP series, and you want to use the mods he uses, then use the DW20 pack.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
I was having the most god-awful time with strange lag in monster after I generated quite a bit of land and built a pretty significant sized base with ATG gen.. right until I disabled AGT. Now I have virtually no block-lag, significantly less issues, and never lost the beauty of the ATG generation. I recommend going this route if you experience issues after you get a bit of your map explored.

Also, disable/don't enable meteorcraft. It was awesome for the very beginning, lots of ores with the occassional "tidy-up" until it hits a tree and throws crappy pieces of ore/stone/netherrack/endstone all over your base and a 100 block radius making the landscape look worse than it would if a bunch of 5 year olds in creative had their way with it.
Looks like you haven't experienced a meteor shower yet. Now THAT's a load of hurt.

I opened a thread yesterday just on the subject.

Beechlgz

Jul 29, 2019
I've played around a bit with them all but not in any great depth so I probably can't make an informed decision yet as to which is my favourite.

However the one I've had the most fun with so far is Magic Farm 2.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I love MagicFarm 2 personally, though I rarely play it. I really like that it brings you back to basic Minecraft, but allowing you to go further if you wish to do so.
also I love having to level up my tools and getting things for it back