Railcraft Iron Tanks

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
Hi there, anyone know what is the biggest iron tanks I can make if I change the config to tweaks.tanks.maxsize=9; is it 9x9x9?

enoch

Jul 29, 2019
Well, wouldn't 9x9x9 then be the new max size? The default max is 7x7x8, I think, which comes out to about 6.4 million units of liquid storage.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The maximum default tank size is indeed 7x7x8, storing 6,272 buckets (which each bucket being 1000mB, or "millibuckets", of liquid which is where enoch is getting his millions from)

You can increase the maximum floor dimensions from 7x7 to 9x9 in the config, but the maximum height of 8 blocks cannot be changed. So the largest possible singular iron tank is 9x9x8, storing 10,368 buckets.

However, you can stack iron tanks vertically if you place valves in the right slots, and they will combine their inventories. So in practical application, the largest possible Railcraft iron tank is 9x9x248 blocks large, storing a staggering 321,408 buckets of liquid. The world height limit of 256 and the bedrock layer starting at 5 prevents you from stacking any more tanks on top.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
nobody is sane enough to stack iron tanks from bedrock to height limit.. I think 9x9x8 is the answer then.. thanks.. :D

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
You can use creosote oil to fuel a steam boiler! Then you can charge a boatload of redstone energy cells off that boiler and build a sky-high stack of full cells instead of railcraft tanks :p

NosajDraw

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but the reason I have so much creosote is because I put all my coal into coke ovens and use the coke to power a huge boiler...

Sephrik

Jul 29, 2019
That brings up an interesting bug I found recently. I pumped out a well of oil into my 7x7x8 iron tank. It got up to about 2000 buckets full, but when I logged out and then back in, it had dropped to less than half of that. Is this a bug with RC or am I doing something wrong?

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
That brings up an interesting bug I found recently. I pumped out a well of oil into my 7x7x8 iron tank. It got up to about 2000 buckets full, but when I logged out and then back in, it had dropped to less than half of that. Is this a bug with RC or am I doing something wrong?

Chunk loading and iron tanks is a bit strange sometimes, I had a water tank that would reset to empty every time I went to a Mystcraft age. Putting a world anchor near it solved it though. There's obviously still a few bugs with loading and unloading the tanks so keeping the chunks they're in loaded is a good safety measure.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf20 had a similar issue on his Forgecraft series where a tank that he filled from a valve in the bottom middle would periodically reset to empty. Other tanks that didn't have valves there were unaffected. CovertJaguar acknowledged it as a bug. See the Railcraft changelog for 6.8.0.0: "FIX: May have fixed an Iron Tank reset bug involving pipes and valve blocks in specific locations."

That version isn't in FTB yet, but once we got to 1.4.5 it should be.

canilsen

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to ask here instead of starting a new thread:
Does anyone know how to use the railcraft water tanks?

http://railcraft.wikispaces.com/Water+Tank+(Device)
wiki says it is supposed to be built like a coke oven. I did that and hooked up pipings like you would on a regular tank.
It is placed outside, and there has been raining more then 10 times since I made it. No water in it.
I can't click on it either, are you supposed to be able to do that? Help please

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, you build it exactly like a coke oven. A 3x3 structure with the center block empty. Once you did that, the structure becomes clickable and gets a GUI that shows its water storage. I've built multiple ones in FTB already.

If you didn't get that GUI - you probably built it wrong.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Now that the liquid API got lifted out of Buildcraft and made a Forge core component, all things liquid play nice with each other.

Meaning, yes - Railcraft tanks will store anything and everything that is a liquid, including liquid redstone.

wolvyn

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks! Ive Found a good use for at least one or two of our four full barrels of redstone :) A night lamp in the eternal day meadow/desert mistworld.