How do you design your big builds

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

how do design your big builds

• Total voters

The classless

Jul 29, 2019
I personally make I layout drawing in a sketch where I make up the height and width give each building and floor a name and recreate it in minecraft. But I thought that this was kind of weird to do so I just want to see how many other people do this

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
This question has no answer for me, because it really depends on my mood, inspiration, and what I'm actually making.

Sometimes I will draw out a basic plan
Sometimes I will just start building
And this is very rare, and really depends on the shape, I will go into creative mode and test it. If the shape is complex, or complex in Minecraft I will definitely do this to test out the best size. A good example of a time I've done this is when I decided to make a building with the shape of a hyperboloid (if you don't know what that is check the spoiler).
hyperboloid-surface.jpg

Zerodaimaru

Jul 29, 2019
I can't really answer with one answer either.
If a build is small enough, or cheap enough I can afford mistakes Ill just start building it, see what works, tear it apart and improve it till it works like I want it to.
If a build is larger but I'm 100% sure on interactions between mods and how things will work then a quick sketch on my doodle pad and I start the build.
If I'm trying something where I'm not sure how two mods will play together, or not sure if my attempts to bend vanilla mechanics to my will, will work I'll pop into creative and do very quick, very stripped down version of what I'm unsure about.
I never create the whole thing in creative mode then copy it over. Whats the fun in building the same thing twice?

The classless

Jul 29, 2019
This question has no answer for me, because it really depends on my mood, inspiration, and what I'm actually making.

Sometimes I will draw out a basic plan
Sometimes I will just start building
And this is very rare, and really depends on the shape, I will go into creative mode and test it. If the shape is complex, or complex in Minecraft I will definitely do this to test out the best size. A good example of a time I've done this is when I decided to make a building with the shape of a hyperboloid (if you don't know what that is check the spoiler).
hyperboloid-surface.jpg

Cool are you trying to make a nuclear power plant

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Cool are you trying to make a nuclear power plant

This was back in 1.4.7 Ultimate. I was building a power plant, not nuclear though, I decided to go the lava route because I hadn't done it for a while. I did end up building a reactor, but it was such a pain to refuel I just ditched it and left it as an ugly floating decoration behind my factory. It was concrete, I think it had a radius of 7, and had scaffolds as the base, there were GT Thermal Gens going all the way up the middle
L=Liquiduct
T=Thermal

_T
TLT
_T

Captain_Oats

Jul 29, 2019
One time I got really bored near endgame and wanted to make my "perfect" layout in a totally new house. And I actually used Excel. This was a large mostly single floor building and I really wanted all the machines to fit in nicely without that cramped, inconvenient, or half-assed look which occurs when you add machines or blocks to rooms after they're already layed-out. So I used square cells in Excel and colored each one, and I gotta say, it worked pretty damn good and was faster than building the basic walls in creative.

But usually now I just think about it in great deal while still 'stuck' in early game, or in my temporary base. I like semi-modular designs with a consistent theme so I suppose I go with the flow.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Sorry guys- spoiler tags aren't working today

It depends on the build itself- what's it function?
Something like my old base- there's not really a predetermined shape, apart from tower here- hole there ect... it kinda builds and expands as I progress​
Though its a load of cubes, this building grew very organically- shaping into the natural terrain instead of bulldozing it.​
2013-07-22_114009_zps793b7433.png
If it's an exact shape/design- its well worth roughing/sketching it out just to know where everything goes before you put the finer details in.

insanity.png

2012-04-23_164729.png

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Design? I might try that someday.

Honestly, all my builds exist primarily as pictures in my head until I start work, then they get altered as I build them. I haven't had anything I build stay the same from conception to completion.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Unless i'm dealing with very limited space, I tend to just start with an idea of what I want to include in my build and let it develop organically from there.

I have been known to scribble some dimensions on a piece of paper if I have a lot of restrictions to work around though.

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
I never knew there was a right way to build something from cobble and dirt. Once I got my hands on that there netherack. People didn't see it as art at all. I was like, "It's art!" They were like, "Then as the French would say, it's ____." ... It's funny how true Art can make people think the same thing.

But aside from that, copy and paste it from creative?!?!?! Ya mean that's built into Minecraft or are you saying use an external tool like mcedit or some such? Not that I'd need to cut and paste any of my Art. :)

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I build in a largely modular style, so sometimes buildings grow, very organically. Eventually, it may get large enough that I start grouping similar modules together in megamodules. I like it.

Once I did plan out a megabuild on paper. It was so damn huge that getting the raw materials for it killed the game for me. Never again.

As for creative, I only do that for tiny builds, like defining the style for a town or metropolis.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Huge glass domes are cool. Although MFFS makes it way easier. And being underwater makes it much cooler.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
I usually fence everything in, and then make an MFFS dome. Haven't done one underwater yet though.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
You should. You don't even have to worry about getting rid of the water, as MFFS has a mode that does that for you.

The classless

Jul 29, 2019
Design? I might try that someday.

Honestly, all my builds exist primarily as pictures in my head until I start work, then they get altered as I build them. I haven't had anything I build stay the same from conception to completion.

dude it really does help a least for me to layout a build then build it

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
Big builds are unusual for me, I tend to just hollow out enough underground or in a mountain to get all the things I need inside. The only real large build I have done was a skybase, I did make some notes on paper first to try and get the size/proportions as I was looking for without too much making and breaking.