Ender Chest on Servers

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
I'm working on an Ender Chest sorting system right now for my storage room and had a thought pop into my head.

Are ender chest color codes specific to the person that created the chest...or are they server wide? (I.E. If I code my chest as RRR, can someone else make a chest, code theirs RRR...and then access my stuff?).

If so, I guess that pretty much makes enderchests useless on a large server as personal storage.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Are ender chest color codes specific to the person that created the chest...or are they server wide? (I.E. If I code my chest as RRR, can someone else make a chest, code theirs RRR...and then access my stuff?).

Normally, Ender Storage's Ender Chests are public. You can turn any ender chest into a private ender chest by right clicking the latch of the chest with a diamond. You can shift-right click the latch to get your diamond back, and turn it back into a public chest.

Private chests are bound to the person that made it private (I believe, it may be the person that placed it though), but can be opened by anyone to see that person's private chest's inventory. You, as such, want to hide away your private chests.

Reactions: Staxed

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
The standard codes are publically accessible, so two RRR chests will hold the same inventories regardless of who placed them, although this can be changed by hitting the lock with a diamond, which links it to your setup.

Reactions: Staxed

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
awesome, thanks guys. Still trying to learn the nuts and bolts of FTB :D Lots and Lots of reading :)

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
You might want to consider looking into item tesseracts. They're a bit more straightforward than ender chests in my opinion.

Reactions: Guswut

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
You might want to consider looking into item tesseracts. They're a bit more straightforward than ender chests in my opinion.

That they are, but they both satisfy two different areas that just happen to overlap. Ender chests are shared storage, item tesseracts are teleportation pipes, the overlap is in regards to teleportation pipes. Tesseracts were recently added, whereas ender storage has been around for a good while longer, so it makes sense why there is overlap.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
I guess using tesseracts would make more sense since the enderchest itself was just going to be temporary storage, not the permanent storage spot.

Time to read up about tesseracts too...so many new things since I last played :D

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I guess using tesseracts would make more sense since the enderchest itself was just going to be temporary storage, not the permanent storage spot.

Time to read up about tesseracts too...so many new things since I last played :D

The nice part about ender chests is that they're a bit more flexible than tesseracts. You can do more interesting things with Ender Chests, like have multiple distinct ender chests with a shared inventory being drawn from by emerald pipes for unique crafting lines. I think that is something that cannot easily be done by tesseracts.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
The best part with ender chest is that there is also a portable version that lets you access the content wherever you are (Ender Pouch).

if your aim is just to transport items from A to B, tesseracts are a good choice, but if you want an inventory accessible in multiple locations, ender chest it is.

Do note that tesseracts cost a fair bit more of resources to build though.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
Normally, Ender Storage's Ender Chests are public. You can turn any ender chest into a private ender chest by right clicking the latch of the chest with a diamond. You can shift-right click the latch to get your diamond back, and turn it back into a public chest.

Private chests are bound to the person that made it private (I believe, it may be the person that placed it though), but can be opened by anyone to see that person's private chest's inventory. You, as such, want to hide away your private chests.

Am I misunderstanding you, but why would you want to hide it away? What exactly does making it "private" do over a normal ender chest? If other people can still access it then what is its point?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Am I misunderstanding you, but why would you want to hide it away? What exactly does making it "private" do over a normal ender chest? If other people can still access it then what is its point?

Because the only way people can access your private ender chest is by using the one you made. If a person makes a private ender chest of their own on the same color-frequency, it will not be the same as yours. It is player-specific, as such.

Reactions: baw179

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
Out of curiosity, and since I haven't tried it, can ender pouches link up with a private ender chest? I like storing my rarely-used tools in an ender pouch on my SSP world in case I fall into lava or can't reach my body when I die, but that loses some of it's attractiveness in SMP if everyone can access it.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Out of curiosity, and since I haven't tried it, can ender pouches link up with a private ender chest? I like storing my rarely-used tools in an ender pouch on my SSP world in case I fall into lava or can't reach my body when I die, but that loses some of it's attractiveness in SMP if everyone can access it.

Yes, they can.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
tesseracts don't work so well with RP2 tubes, so if your main storage system happens to be using RP2 then Enderchests are probably your best bet.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Because the only way people can access your private ender chest is by using the one you made. If a person makes a private ender chest of their own on the same color-frequency, it will not be the same as yours. It is player-specific, as such.

Are you 100% sure of this? Because this wasn't the case before.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019

I tested it about a week ago on a recent build of Ender Storage.

The player name of the person that sets it up is listed in the top right-hand corner, and is specific to that person for both chests and pouches.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019

Diamond latched chests have always been a private network. The confusion often comes from private vs protected -- it is private, but not protected. Its a private network of chests using the playername as the final 'dye'. This means only you can make new chests of that color combination, but anyone can physically access the chests.

So others can come use your chests like any other chest in the world. The contents are not protected. Anyone can link pouches to those chests like any other ender chest.

I guess if you want paranoid storage you could make a chests - latch it with a diamond. Make a pouch. Get the diamond back from the chest. Add content through the pouch. Then store the pouch somewhere safe or change it's code as well if you think someone might steal your pouch.
The contents of the diamond keyed version will be stored even if no pouches or chests of that code exist. When you want your stuff again use a diamond on the chest and open it, or if you still have the pouch use that...

Reactions: Guswut

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
tesseracts don't work so well with RP2 tubes, so if your main storage system happens to be using RP2 then Enderchests are probably your best bet.
They work well enough in my design.

You can use RP as input, no trouble at all.
For the output side, you just need to place a relay, which will then automatically output to your RP tube system.

Am I missing something here?

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
Diamond latched chests have always been a private network. The confusion often comes from private vs protected -- it is private, but not protected. Its a private network of chests using the playername as the final 'dye'. This means only you can make new chests of that color combination, but anyone can physically access the chests.

So what happens if you make a 3x white ender chest private with a diamond? How do other players make an ender chest?