desktop shortcut to a modpack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
would this be possable? for someone who uses more then one pack it could be handy to just click a shortcut to like the mindcrack pack and it would open the launcher and auto load that modpack

Zerosan

Jul 29, 2019
Some programs like for example steam, offer right-clicking a game and creating a desktop shortcut through a context menu, would be a nice addition to make things like command-line arguments accessible to less skilled users.

rangerplus10

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think that would be possible as the META-INF file is missing for the mods, meaning that the minecraft.jar cannot be launched from the command line or by java it's self.

Zerosan

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think that would be possible as the META-INF file is missing for the mods, meaning that the minecraft.jar cannot be launched from the command line or by java it's self.
This is not a problem as a shortcut could link to the feed-the-beast launcher and that one starts the mod.

rangerplus10

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't see any term and conditions, so I decompiled the LaunchFrame.class. I'd like to stress that I didn't steal anything, or is it in any way but the say the point I'm about to say. The launch button is private. For people who do not know Java, this means that it is inaccessible by anything but the class, and so, I don't think it's possible to link the ftb launcher to a shortcut, but I'll keep looking for ways to do it. Also, if decompiling is disallowed, please tell me, I'd rather not break any rules.

Edit:
You cannot call a method from within an external jar, so that approach is done for.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
ranger: all you need to do is check for arguments in the main class (the one with a method with signature "public static void main(String[] args)") and if the argument specifies a modpack let the use choose a profile (or use a default or also specified in the arguments) and enter password and then login to mojang and launch the modpack

there's no need whatsoever to even touch the launch button, (besides you can descend into the gui container tree and query the listeners all through public methods)

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
The launcher updates every 5 minutes, why would you want to skip that?
/eyeroll

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, it's open source ... Now I don't have to use decompilers! Yeah!
Noooot something I'd admit to have contemplated, love.[DOUBLEPOST=1357180977][/DOUBLEPOST]
the internal builds do, yeah, but we only release a launcher every 1-2 weeks
Coulda fool'd me. I barely pay enough attention anymore to realize.
Perhaps my information's slightly outdated.

rangerplus10

Jul 29, 2019
ranger: all you need to do is check for arguments in the main class (the one with a method with signature "public static void main(String[] args)") and if the argument specifies a modpack let the use choose a profile (or use a default or also specified in the arguments) and enter password and then login to mojang and launch the modpack

there's no need whatsoever to even touch the launch button, (besides you can descend into the gui container tree and query the listeners all through public methods)
Sorry I didn't respond earlier, but apparently I hadn't pressed Post Reply. :) I've tried that, however, "args" doesn't seem to be used at all, and the Docs only say, "CLI argument" (command line interface). For this to work, people would have to install a new launcher. (Or they could open the jar and replace the LaunchFrame class but I doubt anyone wants to do that).

Status
Not open for further replies.