Am I the only one who cringes......

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
When people use Coal for fuel?

I use Charcoal instead of Coal, and save my Coal for Diamonds/Solar Panels, etc.

Why use non-renewable sources of fuel when you can use renewable sources of fuel?

Talonar

Jul 29, 2019
When people use Coal for fuel?

I use Charcoal instead of Coal, and save my Coal for Diamonds/Solar Panels, etc.

Why use non-renewable sources of fuel when you can use renewable sources of fuel?

Because people figure once they get quarrys started they will have more than enough? That or they don't plan things that way.

Reactions: Whovian

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I use it if I'm unlucky enough to not spawn in or near a biome with plentiful wood...one of the reasons I love my latest map so much: spawned within spitting distance of a bloody redwood forest. Redwoods + Treecapitator = more wood than you could ever -possibly- need, and as a consequence, I've got a barrel about half-full of charcoal. That whole "use one, get seven FREE!" thing with charcoal and regular old furnaces (to say nothing of iron furnaces or better) is a life-saver, when it comes to early fuel.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019

Coal is easily renewed, at least in any pack with Soul Shards. T5 Wither Skeleton dropper will create a lot of coal, as in enough coal to run multiple 36HP boilers off of the creosote from the gigantic array of coke ovens you can fill with that much coal.

Playing dw20 the only thing I've run across that is truly non-renewable is the ender dragon egg. Everything else can be had via soul shards, mystcraft, and extrabees.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
If our definition of renewable is 'can be acquired infinitely', then the only thing that isn't renewable would probably be single-acquirable items like the dragon egg, as mentioned above. That's just the nature of Minecraft.

But, that's not how I define it. I consider a renewable resource to be something that I can fabricate infinitely within the confines of my base, such as biofuel, wood, cobble, etc. If we include soul shards, that list expands quite a ways, and I believe actually includes diamonds, if you use coal from wither skeletons to make industrial diamonds.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Coal is easily renewed, at least in any pack with Soul Shards. T5 Wither Skeleton dropper will create a lot of coal, as in enough coal to run multiple 36HP boilers off of the creosote from the gigantic array of coke ovens you can fill with that much coal.

Playing dw20 the only thing I've run across that is truly non-renewable is the ender dragon egg. Everything else can be had via soul shards, mystcraft, and extrabees.
The only thing I wish I was able to produce via bees is either the fertilizer or apatite from forestry in my current build the forestry farms and tree farms would greatly help due to the fact I'm a little cramped for space while making the place look nice and SC is difficult to fit in properly. However I refuse to go out and look for the damn apatite when I could be doing better things with my time.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
The only thing I wish I was able to produce via bees is either the fertilizer or apatite from forestry in my current build the forestry farms and tree farms would greatly help due to the fact I'm a little cramped for space while making the place look nice and SC is difficult to fit in properly. However I refuse to go out and look for the damn apatite when I could be doing better things with my time.

If you're running a turtle or quarry and can use Mystcraft, I believe a flat plains biome age starts at around altitude 90, which I think will allow you to mine apatite through it.

If it occurs in another biome, just use that biome instead of Plains. Flat always starts at the highest possible altitude for that biome, so you will always start your quarry well above where the apatite generates. That should work, anyways.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

Xeno's Reliquary allows you to make dragon eggs with 72 diamonds.

Reactions: Avatar

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
a little caving an a pick with fortune means I have more coal then I know what to do with most times.

Reactions: mutopian

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Depends on what fuel- coal is worth twice as much heat as charcoal, there's tonnes of the stuff about and coking it takes ages. A hopper full of coal above a steam engine works wonders for early power.

Late game- coal is also an important fuel, when silktouched and fed through a grinder you can get enough thorium to power a decent reactor or two. (Monazite also works)

What makes me cringe is people starting out and cooking stuff in a vanilla furnace- load your ores into a slag furnace (120% yield, all you need is cobblestone), and cook food ect in an iron one (faster).

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, yes, Coal Coke, That's one of the uses I left out. Diamonds, Coal Coke, Solar Panels, and occasionally Silicon Boules/wafers.

It drives me nuts when people burn straight Coal. If people put the time in and convert it to Coal Coke, fine.

.....maybe this is why I can never get anything done.

:p

Reactions: EternalDensity

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, yes, Coal Coke, That's one of the uses I left out. Diamonds, Coal Coke, Solar Panels, and occasionally Silicon Boules/wafers.

It drives me nuts when people burn straight Coal. If people put the time in and convert it to Coal Coke, fine.

.....maybe this is why I can never get anything done.

It's very possible.

I mean... if you had a truly developed base then you wouldn't be here harping about coal, eh?

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
because

coal.jpg

:)

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
It's very possible.

I mean... if you had a truly developed base then you wouldn't be here harping about coal, eh?

lol......I just can't stand wasting anything.

........most nights I spend all my time crating stuff. and not putting together a truly developed base.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
I used to cringe at inefficient coal use, but once I realized it's renewable, Diamonds aren't rare, Solar panels are lame and coal coke is just not worth waiting for I decided it was time to stop worrying about it. The MC world is so huge you can never hope to use all of it anyway, so for all intends and purposes it is infinite anyway. The only factor is distance and the time it takes to get there, which is not an issue if you have an automated mining set up to port all the valuables to your base.

Time is the only true resource in MC anyway. And if you look at it like that whenever you're waiting for your more efficient coal coke you're actually wasting the only true resource you have: time.

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
a little caving an a pick with fortune means I have more coal then I know what to do with most times.
Exactly, I've gotten a stack an a half from a single coal vein, and coal veins aren't the rarest thing in the world.
I actually cringe more when people are such "min-maxers" in Minecraft. :p

(Especially modded Minecraft, where it matters even less.)

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
I don't care about coal all that much. It's just another thing that I don't really use much of. When I do, it's not so hard to just hop down into one of my many mines and find stuff there.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
People who burn charcoal are losers.
Bunch of coke ovens, no need to waste fuel and creosote oil.
Add Alumentum and the fact that both charcoal and cobblestone are renewable and you get infinite magical grenades that can burn as much as coal coke just with a bigger infrastructure and thrice the number of coke ovens.
That's why I always search for a Silverwood Tree..

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
No.

And this is why:

When I started playing with mods, it was about a year ago, and went through the standard setup (IC2, BC, Forestry, and so on), I rapidly became aware that coal was valuable, and not to be squandered early game. Solar panels were useful, and diamonds were rare, for what I needed them for. Since then, mods have changed, and I've changed the way that I play them changed. I now never run out of coal, by the time it becomes either completely renewable (Soul Shards or UUM) or as-good-as-renewable (quarries, anyone?), so I don't have an issue with burning a bit when it's needed. My views on the points made here:

Coal Coke - Very powerful, but the machine is difficult to set up early game (for me, at least), I usually can't find enough either sand or clay. Also takes an insane amount of time to process, and you've got to find something to do with the creosote (I never use as much as I produce).
Charcoal - Very neat, but renewable isn't the same as easy. Getting a stack of wood is time consuming (in comparison to picking up a vein of coal while mining), and the wood itself is incredibly valuable early game.
Diamonds/Solar panels/etc - I just don't rely that heavily on IC2, and, when I do, I find it difficult to push myself through the muti-stage crafting setups of it all. I'll usually wait until I have AE running properly, then it can do it for me.

Once again, this is just my opinion, but, given that the thread is, in fact, bitching at people for their opinions/ignorance/trolling, then I don't feel too bad about it.

Reactions: RedBoss