Where are my [Pristine] Queens going?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Playing dw20, v1.3.1 (its the version the server I am playing on is running):

I have a very simple automation of bees using just Forestry and Buildcraft objects. Autarchic gates extract bees and product, a clay pipe re-inserts the bees and the product ends up in the chest.

However, as we can see, the "Production of Quartz" apiary's gate is not glowing - because the inventory is empty. I have lost, yet another, queen. Carefully bred from pristine stock.

wmda0UG.png

What in the hell is happening to my queens?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Not sure how far this is going back, but BC pipes used to do this to me all the time.

I switched to using fuzzy import/export buses pretty soon after that.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with malicious_bloke. I've switched to SFM for all my bee automation b/c it is so amazing more flexible and powerful than even EnderIO item conduits. Plus I've become addicted to sneaky pipes.

stentninja

Jul 29, 2019
Possible no queen made? Are they not finding a destination and popping out and despawning? Does it happen with other pipes eg stone gold or iron?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
You'll need to switch out your automation method, that's the only fix. I think rhn ran into the issue before over in his thread, but I can't be too sure that it was him.

Edit: I may very well be incorrect with this, it's been a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: rhn

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Possible no queen made? Are they not finding a destination and popping out and despawning? Does it happen with other pipes eg stone gold or iron?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you can see the pipe routing is very simple. If they somehow missed going back into the apiary then they would end up in the chest.

I check on these hives often enough that they never get close to full.

I'll redo this with EIO I think and see if that solves it.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Playing dw20, v1.3.1 (its the version the server I am playing on is running):

I have a very simple automation of bees using just Forestry and Buildcraft objects. Autarchic gates extract bees and product, a clay pipe re-inserts the bees and the product ends up in the chest.

However, as we can see, the "Production of Quartz" apiary's gate is not glowing - because the inventory is empty. I have lost, yet another, queen. Carefully bred from pristine stock.

wmda0UG.png

What in the hell is happening to my queens?
As far as I can tell, it is down to items in BC pipes getting lost during chunk loads/unloads or server start/shutdown. I experienced it first time in 1.6.4. It was not present in 1.5.2. Over time the Princesses just got lost one by one. I assume it was because they were in "transit" as I started/closed my singleplayer instance.

I replaced the pipes with Itemducts and never had an issue since.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
If its a BC pipes issue, I'm guessing that Aviary vs Alveary is not going to make a difference.

It is a pity at any rate as I've always liked the look of Buildcrafts pipes, when used with Forestry farms and blocks.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
If its a BC pipes issue, I'm guessing that Aviary vs Alveary is not going to make a difference.

It is a pity at any rate as I've always liked the look of Buildcrafts pipes, when used with Forestry farms and blocks.
Yeah makes no difference.

Yeah me too. And it was so damn easy to automate them with pipes. I always just used wooden pipe->gold pipe->Diamond pipe. No need for more advanced stuff.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
So they just vanished... CCS style.
I thought maybe your clay pipes failed you by not inserting the queen but then it would just end up in your product chest.
This is a quandry.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

xyzzy75

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately I've had this problem with BC pipes AND logistics pipes since I started breeding bees in 1.5.x. I'd be wandering by my bee farm and something would pop into my inventory--oh, look. A queen. That was apparently on the GROUND. I *mostly* fixed it with chunk loading, but it would still occasionally happen even in loaded chunks if pipes transversed a chunk boundary. I started using ONLY logistics pipes and squeezing alvearies into a single column in a single loaded chunk, and STILL perfectly stable queens would occasionally go missing (and this was before the whole ignoble thing became a thing.) I never fully solved the problem with Forestry-based tech, and now I use Gendustry only and haven't had a problem since.

Reactions: ChemE

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I suggest using an Ender IO Item Conduit set to Auto-feed. Then use emerald pipes to filter only the drones and products for extraction.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Ok. So the server has been updated to Direwolf20 1.8.0, so things are updated. I have switched all my BC item pipes and autarchic gates for Thermal Dynamcis itemducts and servos.

And when I logged in today, one of my Alvearies has stopped with a missing drone. So it seems the problem is not specific to Buildcraft.