Whats the best thing to make to power matter fabricator?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Warpig

Jul 29, 2019
I have 16 iridium plates and was wondering whats the best thing to make power for a matter fabricator. I was thinking a lightning rod combined with a rainmaker but wasn't sure. So what's to power a matter fabricator (keep in mind I only have 16 iridium plates)?

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
What you want to do sounds pretty good, what's making it sound extra good that it's the solution in your immediate reach, which is in my mind the only reason you need to go for it.

Don't forget that you need to have the fences above level.... can't remember, was it 70? To get struck by lightning in rain. (Thunderstorms go down to 0 I think) 50 long is a good balanced between high chances and laggyness.

The nice thing about said set-up is that it's fire'n'forget and doesn't in any way influence your normal power generation which is a big plus when talking about the matterfab. The downside would be randomness and the unreliability of said system.

I'd still do it if I were you.

Warpig

Jul 29, 2019
yeah the thing about that coal is the fact that it is really slow at producing uu matter because generators don't produce too much power.

plzent3r

Jul 29, 2019
Theres always the good "Make solars to make UU to make more solars to make more UU" type deal. But thats gets pretty boring after a little. As for most effective method, I would say yours sounds great. But if you want to make things fun, you could power it off of cow power! Yep, thats right. Cows.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
That's not what Lambert tried to communicate. He's just saying that you already had a solution and only gave info which'd steer us towards the solution, you just basically asked for... I dunno, approval.

With resources you've got, you could for example use a spawner to get xp, which you could use in a turtle to enchant things, and then burn the enchantments in a magic energy absorber. Your solution is what's immediately possible for you, so it's actually weird that you ask :).

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
That's still 210 EU/t. Hook em up as a start while you look into other power production avenues.

By the way: if you are playing with GregTech, nuclear reactors are a pretty good choice. If you are playing without AdvancedSolars in its very latest version, solar power beats everything, all the time.

With AdvancedSolars in its latest version, solar power technically still beats everything all the time, but the solars all use so large amounts of UU-matter to build that they must run 50+ RL hours just to recoup their building costs and start turning a profit.

Warpig

Jul 29, 2019
yeah another problem is that the generators use so much coal that in a day it will use about 300 stacks of coal

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
As you are clearly using GT, ignore all these lesser solutions and go straight for a self-fueling Fusion Reactor! :D

And by that I just mean nothing is going to beat a Fusion Reactor. Yes, lightning rod will do well, a wacky number of generators could do it and even a horrifyingly large field of basic solars could. But if your scrap production is up to snuff, nothing will beat the Fusion Reactor. :cool:

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
You made a wise choice to build a Lightning Rod. You have a couple choices on how to keep it powered.
Rainmaker's work, but typically only produce rain and not a storm, so you'll need to pump out iron fences and place that sucker at about Y 5 to get enough power for it that way(which, in theory, with iron fences up to the current build height, could produce power during clear weather as well)
A better choice(assuming you use MystCraft and have the needed symbols) is to use it on a eternal storm world of some kind. Technically you need to use IDSU's for this build, but in realty, you can just set up the Matter Fabricator and the Lightning Rod in the age, and pump the scrap in and UUM out with some kind of trans-dimensional transport device.(aka either a couple Ender Chests or some Item Tesseracts)
A horribly expensive option(that totally would work, though) would be to use a Trans-Dimensional Transport Device to send a Gravichest Piece to a MFSU on the storm world, and then back to a MFSU in your base, and use the MFSU to power the Matter Fabricator. The Gravichest Piece can be fully charged or drained in ten seconds and holds a lot of power(basically a MFSU IIRC), meaning you can fully charge a local MFSU with power from a offsite MFSU in twenty seconds.(excluding time needed to transport the bloody thing)

But I fully Suggest the Rainmaker and a lot of iron fences, because it can be done without MystCraft.(which means it can be done quicker and likely with less lag from having a new dimension loaded)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
As you are clearly using GT, ignore all these lesser solutions and go straight for a self-fueling Fusion Reactor! :D

And by that I just mean nothing is going to beat a Fusion Reactor. Yes, lightning rod will do well, a wacky number of generators could do it and even a horrifyingly large field of basic solars could. But if your scrap production is up to snuff, nothing will beat the Fusion Reactor. :cool:

Actually, making a fusion reactor right now is not recommended, as it will get a total rework in GregTech's Minecraft 1.5 update. You'll need a lot more coils but the coils will be a lot cheaper.

Warpig

Jul 29, 2019
You made a wise choice to build a Lightning Rod. You have a couple choices on how to keep it powered.
A better choice(assuming you use MystCraft and have the needed symbols) is to use it on a eternal storm world of some kind. Technically you need to use IDSU's for this build, but in realty, you can just set up the Matter Fabricator and the Lightning Rod in the age, and pump the scrap in and UUM out with some kind of trans-dimensional transport device.(aka either a couple Ender Chests or some Item Tesseracts)
quote]
I think I need to go page hunting then

Sonicyoda13

Jul 29, 2019
You could make forestry tree farm turn the wood into slabs because I think they produce as much as a log and planks but you get more of them, burn those in the generators and use the saplings for biomass convert that to biofuel and use it in a diesel generator

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Nuclear :p

1700 EU/t from a balanced set of 4 reactors.
The screen labels are wrong here. Ended up making two of the +8 (484 eu/t reactors) and one -4 (420 EU/t) reactor. Should be opposite two 420's per one 484.
hTrb8MR.png

Gzi8Xrk.png

Using just thorium+ plutonium it just sips fuel -- haven't done the full math on it, but at worse 20 uranium ore processed out should run for just under 14 hours and generate. ~ 1.7 B EU.

Probably not for most, but put that together as a proof of concept and it is running well. If you mine at all you will get stacks of uranium ore and eventually will ask the question what to do with it....

Edit:
Did some math on it. Probably looking at 15 ingots to start it and on average 12 ingots to keep it running. The first set of cells should net you about 117m per ore -- their depleted left overs carried into the next cycle will save you 3 ingots on average. So the follow on sets should average 146M EU per uranium ingot.

If my math is correct :p

Advanced regulator and item loader settings:
http://imgur.com/a/KCs3Y
Save:
http://www.mediafire.com/?u7gt3ebggh9y4nx

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
You could make forestry tree farm turn the wood into slabs because I think they produce as much as a log and planks but you get more of them, burn those in the generators and use the saplings for biomass convert that to biofuel and use it in a diesel generator
Steves Carts give a substantially higher yield with less maintenance needed. And looks infinitely cooler (which to me is more important.)