What to do with exccess cobblestone

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

samstar

Jul 29, 2019
I have recently built a tunnel bore and have aquired 800 stacks of cobblestone
Is there something (other than recyclers) to do with it or shall I just delete it

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Recycle
Turn into Lava
Turn into Sand
Add a bit to your tunnel bore that places cobble behind it as it goes along - landscape restoration

vasouv

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you can use it in a couple of Thermal Expansion machines to smelt them into lava. Or you can exchange them, using the Wand of Equal Trade, to some other blocks. Can't think of anything else really, other than building a castle or some other similar huge building...

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
why not save on server tics & just void it at the quarry/bore end, after all its way to easy to gen cobble with TE machines as & when needed, why so many ppl want to keep every bit of cobble is beyond me.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
why not save on server tics & just void it at the quarry/bore end, after all its way to easy to gen cobble with TE machines as & when needed, why so many ppl want to keep every bit of cobble is beyond me.
because cobble gens and void piping breaks suspension of belief? feels cheaty?
On vanilla i never ever used a cobble gen of any type. if i needed a hundred stacks of cobble i would bloody well quarry it myself.
It feels no different on ftb. the closest to just throwing stuff away is by recycling it. and i don't recycle cobble. Filling in the holes after a quarry run is a good use of it. got to remove those ugly scars in the landscape.

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
-Amass your stockpile of cobble
-Channel eventual overflow into a simple smelting setup to begin amassing a stockpile of smooth stone
-Channel eventual overflow of smooth stone into an autocrafting setup to begin amassing a stockpile of stone bricks.
-Channel eventual overflow of stone bricks into:
-a moistener setup to begin amassing a stockpile of mossy stone bricks
-a pulveriser setup to begin amassing a stockpile of cracked stone bricks

There may be others when you start getting into chiseled stone, not to mention that you can process excess cobble into sand (then sandstone, glass, chiseled sandstone). Plus, there's all the slabs as well.
Just think of the different extra-d barrels you could fill...

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
because cobble gens and void piping breaks suspension of belief? feels cheaty?
On vanilla i never ever used a cobble gen of any type. if i needed a hundred stacks of cobble i would bloody well quarry it myself.
It feels no different on ftb. the closest to just throwing stuff away is by recycling it. and i don't recycle cobble. Filling in the holes after a quarry run is a good use of it. got to remove those ugly scars in the landscape.

so you terraform with cobble hmm strange I use dirt or what ever is native to the biome, & this is bloody well not vanilla "sry I had too :p" its a collection of tec & magic mods so if you do not wish to use them as there intended why even bother with a mod pack, & you may have missed my point too, that being sending lots of items down pipes/tubes & a sorting network can & often does create lag mostly minor but if lot of ppl do it on a server then it builds up, I am one of them ppl that likes to keep all my stuff as lag free for the server as I can, & have found in tests that voiding at source is far best thing to do with cobble & to create it as needed, oh by god your going to hate tesseracts, thaumcraft, grav/portal gun, oh & most of all soulshards...

but I will never tell you what to do maybe offer advice now n then, after all some ppl reckon my 2 cents is over priced..

Scaffolding

Jul 29, 2019
How about piping it out over a small pool of lava, lots of people I know use lava as trash disposal in Vanilla.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
so you terraform with cobble hmm strange I use dirt or what ever is native to the biome, & this is bloody well not vanilla "sry I had too :p" its a collection of tec & magic mods so if you do not wish to use them as there intended why even bother with a mod pack, & you may have missed my point too, that being sending lots of items down pipes/tubes & a sorting network can & often does create lag mostly minor but if lot of ppl do it on a server then it builds up, I am one of them ppl that likes to keep all my stuff as lag free for the server as I can, & have found in tests that voiding at source is far best thing to do with cobble & to create it as needed, oh by god your going to hate tesseracts, thaumcraft, grav/portal gun, oh & most of all soulshards...

but I will never tell you what to do maybe offer advice now n then, after all some ppl reckon my 2 cents is over priced..

I do get the lag thing, but seriously. If you are playing with redpower, why are you sending your items one by one? put a buffer barrel on there that only accepts cobble, and send them off one stack at a time, or better yet. don't send them anywhere. once the quarry is done, fill in the hole with the cobble, then put a thin layer of dirt on top to make it look all nice and natural again. the filler is your friend. actually... you might not get enough to actually fill the hole... so some cobble gen madness might be needed... same for the dirt. a good thing that you can get dirt from plantballs.

As for soul shards. I love them to death. Making mob torture devices is a lot of fun, and hey. once you get a nice set going your recyclers get plenty of stuff to cycle into scrap... what else are ya gonna do with the item glut several lvl 5 spawners are gonna create?

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Pulverize it to sand to use in the induction smelter or to turn it into glass
Cook it into smooth stone to turn into slabs or Stone Brick. Stone Brick can in turn be changed to different decorative blocks through EE3
Tons of recipes need cobble so I always have a bunch of it set aside for that purpose.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
yeah soul shards are fun a little OP, soon as you have soon t5's mining is hardly needed any more, yeah scrap all the excess, used with golums is even better & so fun to watch, as to too one item at a time you are correct, sending stack at a time saves a lot on server tic, what I do has items in pipes for the shortest time I can diamond pipe connected to quarry, other end to chest or tesseract, void pipe one of the other points, the distance is so short.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
What would be the best way to move it from redpower tubes to void pipes ?

Tube to chest then wooden transport pipe to void.
Either gate or engine to draw out of chest.

Better would actually be to use a diamond pipe to sort out the trash before it hits your tube network.

Scaffolding

Jul 29, 2019
I personally would use a void pipe, the lava suggestion was for people feeling certain other methods are too cheaty.